E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Do you think Lojack is important????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E-class
Do you think Lojack is important????

Hi guys, I just took delivery of my E320 today. Overall, it is a beatiful car. I have one question about Lojack (tracking device for stolen car which respond directly to police car). DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT LOJACK IS IMPORTANT??????? give your opinion plsss. My dealer encourage me to put lojack in my car, since it cost only $649 for entire life of the car and it is useful when your car is stolen. But with the technology on the MB car, like sensor key, do you think it is useful?????

thankss
Old 09-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
let's talk about teleaid.
from the 430 data sheet

1. First year?s Tele Aid service is provided at no additional cost with your subscription and includes 30 minutes airtime (including required acquaintance call). Subscription is required for service to be active. Tele Aid operates where cellular and GPS coverage are available. Owner must authorize stolen vehicle tracking and file a police report.
so assuming your in a cell covered area,

you call up MB and the police. MB uses the gps in your car and tells the police where your car is within a 30 foot radius. BUT a clever thief could cut your cell antenna

let's talk about lojack.

with lojack you call the police, the police call lojack and through a radio signal, they turn on the sqwauker which is a radio which justs puts out a chirp for a tracking recevier to follow. If a lojack tracker is nearby it will follow the signal until they hunt around and find your car.
There is no external antenna to see and the thief never knows if you have lojack.

Myself I like the idea of the police being told that your car is " at the intersection of balh and blah st moving north"
Old 09-14-2002, 10:39 AM

2003 MB E500
Re: Do you think Lojack is important????

Originally posted by yipikaye
My dealer encourage me to put lojack in my car, since it cost only $649 for entire life of the car and it is useful when your car is stolen. But with the technology on the MB car, like sensor key, do you think it is useful?????

thankss
Yipikaye makes a good point. Lojack is a great system and there is no question that it works. However with the MB antitheft technology is it over kill? I know that if someone is determined to steal your car they will but there are other cars out there that will be easier to steal than the E. The E is not on the list of the most stolen cars either I don't think.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
yea, and if someone cuts your antenna, wouldnt the alarm go off, and maybe they have a system that mbz will get alerted, that it got cut, but i am not sure
Old 09-14-2002, 02:02 PM

2000 E-class
My salesperson who had been in seminar with the sheriff department concerning stolen car said that the current technology in MB car, like sensor key or teleaid, does not make any difference with other car. These thiefs are professional. They can get the laser cut to cut your sensor or they can use Tow-truck to tow away your car.

Boltonblue and bmms8, the disadvantages of teleaid is not only in the antenna. The MB center (one in dallas, one in new Jersey) can locate your car through satelite if only the engine is on and you are moving. If the thief park your car in someplace, the MB center cannot locate your car unless he drives it to somewhere BUT LOJACK CAN!!!!!! Lojack can even detect car 3 level below underground ( I read it somewhere ).
Do you think teleaid useful??? IMO , NO. It is only useful for accident, but once you park the car, The MB center will lose you signal. Trust me, I already confirm this info with my dealer.

Last edited by yipikaye; 09-14-2002 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:52 PM

I read in the manual that the E class has tow away protection. Essentially a tilt detector that sounds the alarm.