E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Static with Euro Comand and Navigation module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350
Static with Euro Comand and Navigation module

Recently upgraded my 2003 E320 to Euro Comand and Navigation module in the trunk; very happy! Except for this loud crackling static sound I hear every day while playing DVD, ipod or CDC. I don’t hear the noise at first, but after an hour of driving I get this crackling static sound through the speakers; starts gradually, then it sounds like all hell is breaking loose. It lasts for about 3-5 minutes and then goes away. Did as much troubleshooting as I could, checked and rechecked all connections, grounds, swapped out Euro Comand etc. Found that when I removed the Navigation module from the trunk the static went away, and did not return until I reinstalled the module a few days later; repeated procedure twice over two weeks, same results. Thinking that the module was bad, I was able to get a second module, installed it, and ended up with the same problem.

Any ideas
Old 12-26-2006, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Wasn't there a service bulletin for an AGW reflash specifically for this static problem back in early '04?
Old 12-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
DTB P-B-82.62/361a was released DEC04 however, for crackling and static noises from speakers when radio is on. If all was working properly before installing Euro not sure this applies. Furthermore you state it only happens while playing DVD, ipod or CDC.

Basically it suggests the paint on the frame of the AGW and on the plate at which the frame is attached to the vehicle’s body may be acting as an insulator. Unplug the AGW voltage supply and ground. Using a multimeter, measure the resistance between the AGW’s housing and the vehicle’s body ground which must be 0. If not, remove the AGW and remove the paint from the surface where the frame from AGW is attached. If resistance still measures more than 0, a Zinc coated AGW bracket (part # A211 545 87 40) is available.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Originally Posted by konigstiger
DTB P-B-82.62/361a was released DEC04 however, for crackling and static noises from speakers when radio is on. If all was working properly before installing Euro not sure this applies. Furthermore you state it only happens while playing DVD, ipod or CDC.

Basically it suggests the paint on the frame of the AGW and on the plate at which the frame is attached to the vehicle’s body may be acting as an insulator. Unplug the AGW voltage supply and ground. Using a multimeter, measure the resistance between the AGW’s housing and the vehicle’s body ground which must be 0. If not, remove the AGW and remove the paint from the surface where the frame from AGW is attached. If resistance still measures more than 0, a Zinc coated AGW bracket (part # A211 545 87 40) is available.

I'm sure if you need a more technical description of the process, Kongstiger should be able to provide it.

All kidding aside, that was a great POST!!!!

Randy B
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350
Turned out to be the nav module; dealer swapped it out had to pay $240.

No more static