What brake pads to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
What brake pads to get?

Ok, so I've been searching the forum for about 2 hours now and my brain hurts. Can someone please just tell me what friggin brake pads to get? I'm looking for a couple things.
  1. No squealing
  2. Will accept OEM pad wear sensors
  3. low brake dust

I found a site (www.buymbparts.com) that sells both the OEM-Jurids and OEM-Pagids. What the heck is the difference between these and does one of them not cover what I'm looking for? Or should I go aftermarket like EBC-Greenstuff or Porterfield for someone else?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Ok, so I've been searching the forum for about 2 hours now and my brain hurts. Can someone please just tell me what friggin brake pads to get? I'm looking for a couple things.
  1. No squealing
  2. Will accept OEM pad wear sensors
  3. low brake dust

I found a site (www.buymbparts.com) that sells both the OEM-Jurids and OEM-Pagids. What the heck is the difference between these and does one of them not cover what I'm looking for? Or should I go aftermarket like EBC-Greenstuff or Porterfield for someone else?

Thanks guys.
Both are pretty much OEM parts. I've heard that the Pagids in the yellow box were a bit harder than other OEM pads but in my experience I don't know the difference.

I stick with OEM pads. I've never had them squeal on any German car and as for brake dust, the first thing I do when I get a new car is wax the wheels. Lately I've been using Zaino Brothers products. Now all I have to do is simply wipe them off or hose them off. They take very little care.

If you use harder pads, you wind up replacing rotors more often. I'd rather just pop new pads in.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I would suggest that you get the latest MB pads. Check with the dealer for the parts number. The reason I suggest this is recently I had my pads replaced at a dealer and these new pads put out a lot less dust than the pads came with the car about 4 years ago. I still remember the new wheels were coated with the black soot with just one week's driving 4 years ago. Be careful of after market pads, less dust can also increase the wear on your rotors!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Dude, quit shaving pennies and get some Porterfields. Talk to tim. He is a cool cat. i am getting a set for the E55 today!!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Mine will be here Wed. i got the R4s compound!!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by jangy
Dude, quit shaving pennies and get some Porterfields. Talk to tim. He is a cool cat. i am getting a set for the E55 today!!
Jangle-all-the-way...

Yeah man, money isn't the deal here. I just want to make sure that they don't squeak, throw alot of dust, and the OEM pad sensors can be used.

Do the Porterfields fit all of that criteria? If so, it's a done deal.

Cmon man, you know I'll drop some coin on senseless crap, I'm definately not gonna cut corners on stopping my hunk of junk.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Jangle-all-the-way...

Yeah man, money isn't the deal here. I just want to make sure that they don't squeak, throw alot of dust, and the OEM pad sensors can be used.

Do the Porterfields fit all of that criteria? If so, it's a done deal.

Cmon man, you know I'll drop some coin on senseless crap, I'm definately not gonna cut corners on stopping my hunk of junk.
You know what? I have no clue about squeaks or dust. These are performance street pads. Call Tim and ask him. He will tell the truth. All I cared about was performance.
Also, the coin was mainly for the 8 piece fronts, which may not even be a factor for you. Yours may (I think is) much cheaper.