E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

nav is so complicated to use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
nav is so complicated to use

is there a way to have the nav shows you the street name instead of the longitude/latitude of the road you are on. i am not talking about in guide mode. sometime i would like to know what the name of the street i am on especially those small streets. thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by thegeneraltso
is there a way to have the nav shows you the street name instead of the longitude/latitude of the road you are on. i am not talking about in guide mode. sometime i would like to know what the name of the street i am on especially those small streets. thanks
On your steering wheel hit the menu button on the left until it changes to NAV screen it will display the street along with direction of travel. Other than that zoom in more on the map. Yea I agree the NAV sucks compared to BMW's I drive NAV.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by thegeneraltso
See it on the MFD as above. Also you can move the crosshairs to any street & the name of the street will appear. If you keep the zoom level all the way "IN" more streets will be named on COMAND.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Hecdog_2

Hope it's okay to piggy back...

Can I have the Nav Map display on while having the radio/CD off? How so?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Smile

Originally Posted by Hecdog_2

Yes, press the MAP button and lower the volume all the way down .... you can only turn COMAND on/off and that will include the navigation. Wierd design, Car and Driver complained about that in one of their latest articles....

Cheers

Edward
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by Hecdog_2

Actually yes you can. Here's how, turn on CD, then hit mute while CD audio is playing. This will pause the CD. Your Nav volume will still play.

Can anyone suggest a better redesign of this? Not that easy to think of what the button would read
Old 01-25-2007, 01:19 AM

E350
Originally Posted by trezaei
Actually yes you can. Here's how, turn on CD, then hit mute while CD audio is playing. This will pause the CD. Your Nav volume will still play.

Can anyone suggest a better redesign of this? Not that easy to think of what the button would read
Well since I dont have anything plugged for the AUX button in the COMAND system i just press on that (aux) which is silent but the navigation isnt...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:44 AM
Hecdog_2

Where's the Aux button?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 AM

a toy
How about the other way around? Make the Nav silent (I'm fine with just reading the MFD) and leave the music playing uninterrupted. I can't figure that one out.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Hecdog_2:

AUX is a soft key, you get to it by pressing the [AUDIO] button until you see the soft key options for [Radio], [CD], [CDC], and [AUX] (top right of COMAND).

Originally Posted by Roupin
How about the other way around? Make the Nav silent (I'm fine with just reading the MFD) and leave the music playing uninterrupted. I can't figure that one out.
While the NAV is speaking, press and hold the [MUTE] button until you get a confirmation that NAV "something something something" has been disabled. That will silence the NAV until you power down and restart your vehicle, or press the [EAR] button again to reactivate it.

This stuff is in your manuals guys...
Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
My buddy an I sat in the car and played with this for like 20 minutes. At the end we figured out that if you adjust the volume WHILE the Nav chick is talking then you adjust her volume. Not very intuitive, but certainly the easiest way to do it.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 PM

a toy
Cool, I'll try it today.

Miguk, the manual? You mean some people actually have the patience to read that thing?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Try Reading The Mercedes Comand Owners Manual?....Its the White hard back book
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Try Reading The Mercedes Comand Owners Manual?....Its the White hard back book
Yeah I know, I have it. I've never enjoyed reading any kind of owner's manual though, since I like to figure stuff out myself.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Hecdog_2

Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
This stuff is in your manuals guys...

I know a guy named Manuel.

Thanks for the info. I just read 2 hours worth of manual last night.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Press the nav Repeat Instruction button & when she's talking lower the volume to zero. If you do this only while the NAV voice is speaking, you will only be adjusting the NAV voice, not the radio/cd volume.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Yeah I know, I have it. I've never enjoyed reading any kind of owner's manual though, since I like to figure stuff out myself.
If you consider yourself a Logical person, and look at things as most people would, you will never parallel the "logic" these German Engineers used in creating their programming. For some reason, after it has been explained to you you will find yourself saying "OOOOOoooooooooooooo, now I see what they were thinking." Its not that its convoluted reasoning... its just waaaaaay overthought.

Also, they give you ways to personalize things that you might never even had thought needed personalization, and prohibit you from doing some things that they intentionally lock you out of.

Waaaaaaay overthought!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Actually the correct way to mute nav voice is not to turn volume on her down.. because it will still dip the volume of the music even tho she doesnt appear to say anything. hit repeat, then hit MUTE as she is talking. hold it down and then you will get a display that says nav announcements have been cancelled or something. Then it wont lower your music for no reason.

Took me a year to figure that one out.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Well, you didn't figure it out did you? That's why you are here asking because you are too good to RTFM.

Maybe you should reevaluate your ability to 'figure it out'?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by sgaar
Well, you didn't figure it out did you? That's why you are here asking because you are too good to RTFM.

..uh.. yeah!.. what he said.. (but in a nicer way).
Old 01-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Hecdog_2

Let's be nice, fellas.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Lol!!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 PM

a toy

Want to critique? Figuring the whole damn thing out, while asking just ONE freakin question is pretty good eh?

If you read properly you will note that I didn't say I'm too good to read it. That was your insecurity trying to demean others. I simply said I don't have the patience to read it. Big difference there buddy.

RTFP (Read the F-ing post) before you tell others to RTFM. Then again, maybe you're too good to read the post
Old 01-26-2007, 05:08 PM

E350
Want to critique? Figuring the whole damn thing out, while asking just ONE freakin question is pretty good eh?

If you read properly you will note that I didn't say I'm too good to read it. That was your insecurity trying to demean others. I simply said I don't have the patience to read it. Big difference there buddy.

RTFP (Read the F-ing post) before you tell others to RTFM. Then again, maybe you're too good to read the post
agreed...
Old 01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
The man asked a simple question that deserves an answer. What's so complicated about answering a question? If it is beneath someone to answer a question because the answer might be somewhere on the manual just move along, there's no need to demean someone for asking a question. What percentage of posts out here do you think can be answered by reading the manual? That's why were are all here. To share ideas and help each other.

Why put people down for asking questions on a forum devoted to asking questions?

If you are not a part of the solution, then you are...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: nav is so complicated to use