E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How to remove the shift knob?

Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
How to remove the shift knob?

For the W211?

Is this video the same for the W211: http://www.mercedestechstore.com/w20...ps_consola.wmv

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 PM

E500
Pics:
http://www.mbdoctor.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=8

1. Open/Unlock the ashtray
2. pry the shifter wood panel up with your fingers at the ashtray
side...the panel is held in by clips at the frontside - release these
clips by pulling the panel up...the rear of the woodpanel comes out by
moving the panel forward
3. unclip the 2 plastic clips at the front of the ashtray that hold
the ashtray in
4. take out the ashtray after the clips have been released
5. take off the connector at the back of the ashtray
6. take the 2 torx 20 screws out that hold in the CD changer/compartment box
7. disconnect the 3 connectors at the bottom of the CD changer
(only 1 connector if you don't have the CD changer) BEWARE not to bend
the fiber (amber colored)!!!
8. take out the CD changer/compartment box
9. unscrew the 2 torx 20 screws at the bottomside of the comand -
turn these screws counterclockwise till they don't go any further
(won't come out)
10. take out the comand by pulling it towards you
11. disconnect the connectors at the back...BEWARE not to bend the fiber!

Put it back together following the reverse procedure.
This is an excerpt of how to install a Comand. I just installed that Euro Comand I told you about.
My only problem is figuring how to get into the engineering mode so I can enable DVD in Motion - Or i need a service guy to enable that for me, I doubt they'll do it...

To do so, you need to remove the wood surrounding the shift knob.
I don't know how to remove the leather bag surrounding the shift knob, but the link with pics has it removed, maybe you can figure it out.

What are you up to with that loaner...
I liked you're chrome fittings, I just don't know if it'll be noticeable on my silver E/black interior.
Oh and apparently home depot doesnt carry torx 20s, which makes no sense to me. I got a torx 20 key from autozone, i bet other places carry it though, then again you might not need one for your job

Last edited by smb7420; 01-28-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 PM

'06 SL65
Thanks for the info! I'm replacing the knob with the boot so once it's taken apart, I'll figure out how to get knob/boot off. My revised knob should arrive from Thailand soon.

I wanted a ML or R Class for a loaner but they were all out so they gave me a E320 CDI. It was either the CDI or the C Class you returned. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow. How did your car turned out? Did they fix all the nicks? Was there a problem as I saw you go back into service when I was leaving. I've got to see your Euro Command one of these days!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 PM

E500
A part on the top of the car, i think it's the lid for the bike rack is broken, they're waiting on receiving a replacement. Also I'm waiting on a duplicate key-I tried to get the chrome one, but they're positive it won't work with my car - I won't argue with them

They were gonna give me a nice white ML 350(or 500, can't remember which) the first time I came to drop the car off, but I'm not 21, which for some reason is the required age to get a loaner. Then we rushed them to get us a car because I couldn't bring my father to pick up a loaner at any convenient time. The ML was close to my loaner request, a sl We ended up with a C.

I'm shocked they give diesel engine loaners...at least ya save gas money..how does it drive? It was the silver one - I think my silver E was blocking ya as you tried to leave
I thought I saw a keyless go button on your car, the replacement knob won't mess up the keyless go system?

The Euro dvd screen is great, clear, and offers 4:3 options, color, brightness controls, basically everything a dvd player would offer
I think I might need them to upgrade my Comand SW in order to get to the engineering menu to enable dvd in motion. I'm going to start installing the Navi system in a week or so.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:00 PM

'06 SL65
I assume you must have Pano roof? I had the same problem where one the covers for the bike rack that flips open broke off and they had to replace it.

The CDI was nice. Had one as a loaner before. They have good low end torque and starts right up even with this bone chilling cold we've been having this weekend. I shouldn't have filled it up all the way. After driving it all weekend, it's still 3/4 full! I should have just filled it up 1/2 way. Your car was blocking the loaner so the service advisor did a tight maneuver around your car. Heck, I had him do it as if he hits your car, it's the dealer's fault.

As far as the knob, I bought an OEM knob with Keyless go (they order it using my VIN Number)from Autohaus and a vendor shipped it to his supplier in Thailand to make that knob all wood in Birdseye Maple. That's why I need to find out how to take it apart to install the new one. Good luck with the NAV install!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 PM

E500
It is one of those bike rack clips you described.

The CDI has the same smoothness as the E5? When I test drove the 350 it felt weaker pick up-wise and more shakey over bumps.

How did you attach your chrome headlight rings? I've been considering doing some chrome upgrades more since I saw yours; I haven't contacted Jerry though, he's selling his rings for 100+tax, and I'm seeing the same style chrome trims for 20-25 on ebay, shipping 15-20. I'm afraid the rings may suck on ebay, it ships from Hong Kong, but then again I've never had an unsatisfactory purchase on ebay...The ones on ebay are tape ons, I'm thinking yours may be the same and easy to remove?
Chrome looks great on your Tectite, even better on black cars. Speaking of which, how do you maintain your interior - it seems like your interior can get dirty easily.
We should start a Chicago thread, especially since we've won the Superbowl.
God I hope we win.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM

'06 SL65
The rings are the same double sided tape. Those prices on Ebay are really good. Hope the quality is decent. BTW...when I was at the dealer today, they said Michael Jordan's Silver/Red Interior SLR was in their basement garage. He had to bring it in for some service.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM

E500
Wow, its still there? Must be back again, I saw and touched it, I could smell his sweat on it too, sorta...
It was silver and had a red interior, I think the plate was MJ 4, some #, all his cars have MJ followed by some #.
He treats his cars like crap, which he can do, cus he's MJ it had a large amount of chips and scratches for a multi millionaires car.

Do you have an old nav disc in your nav system? I don't want to use the newer ones, it'll override my comands DVD in motion abilities l(if I can even get that to work ) apparently the new discs update the software in the comand...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi etron, E350 Bluetec
Were you able to add keyless go? I wonder if that is a job for SteveNL?