E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E220CDI & Bio Diesel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E220CDI & Bio Diesel?

Greetings,

New to the forum, recently traded my C class for a 2006 (reg nov. 05) model E220cdi Elegance (with particle filter + gadget list from here to nirvana, er... almost). Good deal, car was almost unused from MB in Germany. Extremely satisfied with it but have some questions, maybe someone has answers?

Searching on the web and/or here on this forum, reading some articles, am still slightly in the blue as to whether or not this model will run on Bio Diesel? .

Where I live (Oslo, NO) concept is still hypothetical. Only a few pumps around in in town. So not there yet by far. In Sweden they've come a long way and distribution in greater cities getting better by the quarter.

Anyhow, doing some light weight research I came across a couple of presentations. here>> and here>>. While they may provide some good info, didn't fully answer my question so..

There were some talks about the test being conducted without the particle filter, which could indicate car would run but without this filter if using Bio Diesel.

Any input/info appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited by MBDrivr; 02-06-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry you're right (confused by terms)

Heading updated, realizing I mixed up some definitions types here.

Last edited by MBDrivr; 02-06-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Mercedes in USA approves only B5, to ASTM standards.

Perhaps interesting to read posting at MBCA forum wherein E270CDI owner was quoted $1000 each for new injectors for his motor.

What do you suppose a 23,000 psi fuel pump costs?

Somehow I'd prefer an engineered solution rather than shade-tree experimenting.

Anything less than development by Mercedes and Bosch engineers is certainly "shade tree" in comparison.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQE350 4MATIC
Everyone I know who uses biodiesel in their cars (VW TDI and Mercedes CDI) have had NO problems whatsoever, outside of the normal changing of their fuel filter shortly after switching to biodiesel, which is natural as it acts as a loosener for any existing matter or sludge that can live in your fuel line, when using fossil diesel. If you intend to use biodiesel in an older car <1996?, you will need to have the fuel lines replaced with a modern component, versus the older (rubber?) component that originally came on the car. Also, if you are in an area with colder temperatures (below freezing), do not use biodiesel, as it can become too thick for it to flow properly through your fuel lines.

Biodiesel is pretty much any vegetable oil that has had the glycerin stripped out of it, but primarily is comprised of pure vegetable (often soybean in the US) oil and waste vegetable oil (WVO) from resteraunts. I believe the highest quality is purported to be the pure vegetable oil, but apparently WVO can be just as good if produced directly, plus you get that yummy smell based on the food it was cooked in! Save the WVO for the old Mercedes tho, and use the pure vegetable oil for the CDI.

If anything, your car will have better emissions, roughly the same (most people report better, and fewer report slightly worse) power, and should run beautifully.

The key is making sure the biodiesel you use supports the highest standards available for passenger cars where you live. In the US, it's the Biodiesel Standard (ASTM D 6751). If your biodiesel supplier doesn't meet these very high standards, DO NOT use their fuel in your car, and stick with dino diesel until you find one that does. It's not worth it screwing up such a pricey car.

Some decent videos on biodiesel in the mercedes CDI engine in particular are here:

http://amandacongdon.com/roadblog/2006/10/09/biodiesel/

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7LlsahCiLs

Remember, Diesel was originally intended to run on vegetable oil, so biodiesel is *far* from being a radical option.

Last edited by harperb; 02-11-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
to tune or not to tune?

Originally Posted by lkchris
Mercedes in USA approves only B5, to ASTM standards.

Perhaps interesting to read posting at MBCA forum wherein E270CDI owner was quoted $1000 each for new injectors for his motor.

What do you suppose a 23,000 psi fuel pump costs?

Somehow I'd prefer an engineered solution rather than shade-tree experimenting.

Anything less than development by Mercedes and Bosch engineers is certainly "shade tree" in comparison.
I agree with you on bio-diesel. Marginal savings over the years cannot possibly make up for the $4,000.00 injectors, when all 4 injectors in the 220 CDi give up.

Would you install a Carlsson or Kleemann tuning box though? So many E diesel owners have done it.