E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Passenger Headlight leaking water

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
Passenger Headlight leaking water

Anyone experience water leaking into the headlamp assembly? Went and had the car washed and noticed after hand drying that the passenger headlamp assembly was fogged up and then notice water inside. I have Xeons so I am concerned it will cause even more damage. Any ideas what to look for or how to fix to avoid going to the dealer?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by GLOCK36
Anyone experience water leaking into the headlamp assembly? Went and had the car washed and noticed after hand drying that the passenger headlamp assembly was fogged up and then notice water inside. I have Xeons so I am concerned it will cause even more damage. Any ideas what to look for or how to fix to avoid going to the dealer?
An '04 would be under warranty, correct? If it is take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

If for some reason you don't want to take it to the dealer there is two ways water can come into the assembly (assuming that it isn't cracked). It can come in between the glass and the housing or if the gasket in the auto level system is worn down.

The sealant between the gals and housing is similar to 3M strip caulk so you can possibly seal it back up by applying some to the seam. The problem with that is that you can only get to the part of the light where the seam is visible. To get to the whole seam you will need to remove the bumper and take the light off. Take it from someone you have done it; it is a pain.

The gasket is the auto leveling system can be replaced by wiggling it over the assembly if needed.

However; if possible the dealer is the best option.