E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What Brand of Tires Are Coming From The Factory on '07s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Roupin
Yes they do, but the size is not listed at Tire Rack for some reason.

The tires on the car are Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, in 245/40/18 in front and 265/35/18 in back.
They're even listed here at Michelin's Website, as being fit on MB but you can not "drill down" to find this tire using their tools on the site. So it must be new.

http://www.michelinman.com/specs/pilot_mxm4/112.html
Old 02-13-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"Deal with" the Continentals? Why some of you swear by Michelins is beyond me...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...80&sortValue=1
You can check the E55 section for feedback on the Continentals, since many had some issues with them. The Michelins are a bit softer, quieter, and reverberated less through the steering wheel.

On a smooth road you can't tell the difference, but I'm sure at higher speeds or over freeway expansion joints the difference with be obvious.

Last edited by Roupin; 02-13-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
They're even listed here at Michelin's Website, as being fit on MB but you can not "drill down" to find this tire using their tools on the site. So it must be new.

Does anyone know why there's an "XL" listed after the tire size on the website? I've always wondered about that...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

WT1/2hourago. See post 23 above. (j/k)
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Does anyone know why there's an "XL" listed after the tire size on the website? I've always wondered about that...
XL = extra load. Judging from other sites it appears to have a stiffer sidewall and is able to carry a higher load/weight than ones without; somewhere around 50-80kg / 110-175lbs per.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
XL = extra load. Judging from other sites it appears to have a stiffer sidewall and is able to carry a higher load/weight than ones without; somewhere around 50-80kg / 110-175lbs per.
So is it fair to assume a tire marked XL would have a stiffer and/or noisier ride?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 266 Likes on 170 Posts
Your link gives an error. What are you trying to point at?
The HX MXM4 has dismal feedback compared to the OEM Continentals, not to mention it has a lower wear rating, is heavier, and is nearly twice as expensive.

I can't link the url, but if you go to the tirerack.com website and look for tires for a standard E350, click 'compare' on both the ContiProContact (not the ContiSportContact 2) and HX MXM4 for the details.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 02-13-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 PM

You can check the E55 section for feedback on the Continentals, since many had some issues with them. The Michelins are a bit softer, quieter, and reverberated less through the steering wheel.

On a smooth road you can't tell the difference, but I'm sure at higher speeds or over freeway expansion joints the difference with be obvious.
They are referring to different models of Continentals and Michelins on the E55.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
The HX MXM4 has dismal feedback compared to the OEM Continentals, not to mention it has a lower wear rating, is heavier, and is nearly twice as expensive. Adding a 'www.' in front of the url below should work...

tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?resultsNumberSelected=Y&displayRe sults=10&compare=true&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=E350+Sedan&autoYear=2007&autoModCla r=Standard+Model&vehicleSearch=true&compareList=81 &RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&m inLoad=S&sortCode=50050&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diam eter=17&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating =Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&startIndex=80&sor tValue=1
NOPE

We're sorry. We closed your session for your security/privacy

Whatever your trying to point at is not working. Post it differently without going through that setup.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 PM

NOPE

We're sorry. We closed your session for your security/privacy

Whatever your trying to point at is not working. Post it differently without going through that setup.
I edited my post. You'll have to do the comparison on the TireRack website yourselves...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:15 PM

a toy
Guys, keep in mind the Michelins on my car are runflats according to the dealer, and that's why I don't have a spare in the trunk. Maybe that's why they are heavier than normal?

It would be only fair to compare them to like sized runflat Continentals.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Guys, keep in mind the Michelins on my car are runflats according to the dealer, and that's why I don't have a spare in the trunk. Maybe that's why they are heavier than normal?

It would be only fair to compare them to like sized runflat Continentals.

1) You believe the dealer? Remember the links we posted?
2) That statement about spares now means you will have to posts pics. For your own safety because they will nail you at the end of the lease. Unless you can also post a pic of the tire pressure readout within your MFD and the can of tirefit.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I edited my post. You'll have to do the comparison on the TireRack website yourselves...
No flame, but you are trying to prove a point. Why should we confirm your post when our point is opposite of yours?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM

No flame, but you are trying to prove a point. Why should we confirm your post when our point is opposite of yours?
Hey, I can't help it if a direct comparison on the TireRack website isn't linkable.

There is an overwhelming bias towards Michelin on the board for no apparent reason. If you take the time to compare the two OEM W211 sport set-up tires being discussed here using the best tire resource out there, you will find that the Michelin is an extremely poor choice. Just attempting to straighten out the misconception that started with the "Whatever it comes with, I'm not leaving the dealer without Michelins" comment at the beginning of this thread. If you want to keep your heads in the sand, go right ahead...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Hey, I can't help it if a direct comparison on the TireRack website isn't linkable......If you want to keep your heads in the sand, go right ahead...

Following your link verbage; it doesn't even go towards the E350 sport but the regular one with 17" wheels. And the ostrich comment can equally applied to your point of view. All we are asking is that you point us to the source of your comment. And you don't have to go through all the permutations your are going through. You make a statement like that on a forum that goes against the general grain. What do you expect? If you want to argue your point you will need to be able to point to documentation. The "I said so" or "I can't help it if the link to the info doesn't work" really doesn't help your point. No matter how valid it may be; pro or con.

$0.02
Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Following your link verbage; it doesn't even go towards the E350 sport but the regular one with 17" wheels. And the ostrich comment can equally applied to your point of view. All we are asking is that you point us to the source of your comment. And you don't have to go through all the permutations your are going through. You make a statement like that on a forum that goes against the general grain. What do you expect? If you want to argue your point you will need to be able to point to documentation. The "I said so" or "I can't help it if the link to the info doesn't work" really doesn't help your point. No matter how valid it may be; pro or con.

$0.02
What do you want me to do, scribe the TireRack data in stone with my fingernails and walk them over to you? Jeezus.

I have nothing against Michelin...they make great tires for some applications. When the Pirelli PZeros wear out on my Porsche 997, I'll replace them with Michelin PS2s due to their overwhelming popularity. However, Michelins are not universally superior tires, and the application we're discussing here is a case-in-point.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Case in point accepted. But you have to admit that your posts, Michelins < Continentals, did come across that way.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 PM

a toy
1) You believe the dealer? Remember the links we posted?
2) That statement about spares now means you will have to posts pics. For your own safety because they will nail you at the end of the lease. Unless you can also post a pic of the tire pressure readout within your MFD and the can of tirefit.
Run that by me one more time please. The factory supplied my car with runflat tires, and consequently excluded the spare from my trunk. What would I be taking pictures of, and why? The dealer will try to charge me for what at the end of the lease?

I just went back to my window sticker (I love to keep those ) and it doesn't mention anything about the runflats though.

My MFD does NOT have a tire pressure readout. I just went out and checked through the whole menu, and there's nothing. Does that sound right or should it be equipped with a pressure indicator?

Edit: Congrats on your 8 thousandth post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM

Your salesman is an idiot. Run-flats (with a TPMS) are optional on some MB models, but not the E-class. Unless they became standard equipment all of the sudden...

There are two panels two lift to get access to the spare...I'll bet you find a small donut spare down in there somewhere...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Run that by me one more time please. The factory supplied my car with runflat tires, and consequently excluded the spare from my trunk. What would I be taking pictures of, and why? The dealer will try to charge me for what at the end of the lease?

I just went back to my window sticker (I love to keep those ) and it doesn't mention anything about the runflats though.

My MFD does NOT have a tire pressure readout. I just went out and checked through the whole menu, and there's nothing. Does that sound right or should it be equipped with a pressure indicator?
Runflats require an active TPMS. Dealers and there employees have been proven incorrect, less knowlegable than enthusiasts on a forum. Like Alan said, there are 2 panels. If you have gotten to that point and don't find your steelie in there I would go back and have a nice talk with them. Also make sure you got the other parts/tools as listed in your manual. Horror stories about lease returns and charges are all over the forum.

Look at the michelin stickies above. They will help you to understand more about the tires you have.

Edit: Congrats on your 8 thousandth post
Thanx. How does it feel to be part of history?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320

Thanx. How does it feel to be part of history?
Yes, congrats ! (or as they say on other forums "YAMM")
Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
According to the 07 Owners Manual, Run Flats and Heated Steering Wheels are now only avaliable in Canada.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
I've seen conti pro contacts and Michelin MXM4's on the 07's with the staggered 18's.... thats it.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 PM

a toy
I finally remembered to check during the day, and low and behold, there's a donut spare in the trunk. The second shelf is secured so well though I didn't think of yanking it up. I wonder why they made it so hard to access

I also found the battery too. Not that I had even paid it wasn't under the hood

Now I'm curious. Are my tires really runflats? Online it lists them as runflats, but it's seems redundant to have both runflats and a spare. Plus there's no TPMS on the MFD
Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
There is no TPMS offered by MBUSA on '2007 E Class USA cars. If the tires are run flats, wouldn't they say so on the side walls? If not, write down the sidewall info & look them up on line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Brand of Tires Are Coming From The Factory on '07s?