E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket Ceramic Brake Pads???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Aftermarket Ceramic Brake Pads???

Hello, looks like at 60k miles I will need to replace my brake pads. I've heard quite a bit about running ceramics and how it greatly reduces brake dust. I also heard that performance was the same.

Any recommendations?

How does this affect the Brake pad measuring and Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

Thank you in advance!

Nick
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by Nickc0844
Hello, looks like at 60k miles I will need to replace my brake pads. I've heard quite a bit about running ceramics and how it greatly reduces brake dust. I also heard that performance was the same.

Any recommendations?

How does this affect the Brake pad measuring and Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

Thank you in advance!

Nick
Nick,

The pad sensors are inserted into the pad (make sure the pads you buy (non-MB, that is) have the sensor holes drilled in them. I've never heard that the performance was the same for OEM vs ceramic pads. The OEM pads are softer (that's why they're dusty) and grab better. maybe someone here has some experience with them and can shed some light.

The TPMS has transmitters inside the wheels and do not work with the braking system -- this is my guess as I don't have the TPMS on my car and have only read about it on MBs and other cars.

Regards,
paul...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by Nickc0844

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Nick
Ceramic pads are extremely tough on our rotors. They will cause premature wear on the rotors. If reducing dust is your priority, there are other pads, such as Porterfield, that are very much friendlier than the ceramic pads.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
Ceramic pads are extremely tough on our rotors. They will cause premature wear on the rotors. If reducing dust is your priority, there are other pads, such as Porterfield, that are very much friendlier than the ceramic pads.
Thanks for the sound advice. I would be willing to try the Porterfield. Can you order them predrilled for the sensors? What about wear; do you see prolonged life from them vs. OEM?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Ceramic pads will be very rough operating when cold and also very "grabby" when cold. There will be more noise also. They will cause premature wear on the rotors. The only good thing is they have less fade than OEM pads but thats not a problem. I have them on a Corvette and will never use them again. They are designed primarily for competition.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sosh
Ceramic pads will be very rough operating when cold and also very "grabby" when cold. There will be more noise also. They will cause premature wear on the rotors. The only good thing is they have less fade than OEM pads but thats not a problem. I have them on a Corvette and will never use them again. They are designed primarily for competition.
But in my experience MB brake rotors are only good for one brake job anyways. If there is enough meat to go a second set of stock pads the rotors will be too thin before the that second set of pads get half way worn. So if you get the cerramics and they roast the rotors in one lifetime, it's the same as the stockers. Don't be too concern with the rotors wearing thin earlier if you are replacing the rotors (and you should!) with this brake job.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by health services
But in my experience MB brake rotors are only good for one brake job anyways. If there is enough meat to go a second set of stock pads the rotors will be too thin before the that second set of pads get half way worn. So if you get the cerramics and they roast the rotors in one lifetime, it's the same as the stockers. Don't be too concern with the rotors wearing thin earlier if you are replacing the rotors (and you should!) with this brake job.
A comment... I for one have always gotten at least 2 sets of pads to my rotors on all the MB's I have owned and that goes back to 1974. Never have I had to change the rotors after one pad change although I have heard of this happening. I have always used OEM pads, never aftermarket.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by sosh
Sosh - It almost sounds like you are more referring to full metallic brake pads, rather than the ceramic brake pads of today.

Ceramic friction material is the fastest growing segment of the aftermarket brake sales due primarily to the vast amount of original equipment manufacturers from Chrysler to Toyota who now provide ceramic on everything from Jeep to Avalon. The link below may answer your concerns about ceramic from Akebono, a highly respected industry leader.

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/company...ramic_tech.pdf

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/index.html
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Sosh - It almost sounds like you are more referring to full metallic brake pads, rather than the ceramic brake pads of today.

Ceramic friction material is the fastest growing segment of the aftermarket brake sales due primarily to the vast amount of original equipment manufacturers from Chrysler to Toyota who now provide ceramic on everything from Jeep to Avalon. The link below may answer your concerns about ceramic from Akebono, a highly respected industry leader.

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/company...ramic_tech.pdf

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/index.html
That is correct, they are on my 65 Vette and were installed in about 1980. They are the "competition pads" and of course this Vette was the first year for disc brakes.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow when did Akebono Start making pads for the 2003 up E500?

I don't believe TireRack having these two months ago...

But after doing a search...

Rear Part #: EUR603

Front Part #: EUR847

(Still have not check tirerack)

I've put these on other cars with excellent sucess, low noise, and even better, they have extremely low dust! A weeks worth of driving and still not have as much dust on the wheels as a full day from the stock mercedes pads!

I got a set of new stock pads and rotors on the benz now, but now after finding out that these pads are available, I'm going to order the Akebonos as soon as I can and swap these out!