E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Frozen Front Rotors..Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 G63
Frozen Front Rotors..Help

I need help. I am trying to install new x-drilled rotors. I removed the little torx screw, which came off real easy. I expected the rotors to be frozen on so I was ready to hammer away. I have sprayed penetrating oil too. I am using a 32oz hammer. I have tried now for 1 hour with no success. The old rotor is now all messed up from the hammer blows.

Does any one have any ideas to remove the rotor?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Originally Posted by gmotoring
I need help. I am trying to install new x-drilled rotors. I removed the little torx screw, which came off real easy. I expected the rotors to be frozen on so I was ready to hammer away. I have sprayed penetrating oil too. I am using a 32oz hammer. I have tried now for 1 hour with no success. The old rotor is now all messed up from the hammer blows.

Does any one have any ideas to remove the rotor?
Seriously, no joke here, Do you have a torch? I simple propane one would work fine. Just start heating the center of the rotor around the hub. After less than a minute you should be able to pop the rotor with the hammer and the rotor will fall off.

BTW, you might want to make sure you don't try and grab it as it will be warm.

Randy B
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM

2016 G63
Randy B
You are the Man. It worked. Now I just hope with all the pounding the suspension parts i.e. bearing and rod ends are not comprised.

Many Thanks again
Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Randy B
You are the Man. It worked. Now I just hope with all the pounding the suspension parts i.e. bearing and rod ends are not comprised.

Many Thanks again
I hope while you were going crazy with that torch that you didn't melt all of the grease from inside your hub bearings or melt the bearing seals... You should do yourself a favor and double check.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:19 AM

2016 G63
Should be good to go. As I heated the Rotor I kept the flame away from direct contact to the hub, I also checked the center hub and Cap and it was warmed up but I was still able to touch with out leaving skin. and I am sure during normal driving the hub gets a lot hotter than what I did.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Should be good to go. As I heated the Rotor I kept the flame away from direct contact to the hub, I also checked the center hub and Cap and it was warmed up but I was still able to touch with out leaving skin. and I am sure during normal driving the hub gets a lot hotter than what I did.
If you were there for only a short period and moved the flame around to get the rotor warm, you will be fine. If you had kept it in one place for more than a count of ten, I would check the bearing grease.

Otherwise, you did well!

BTW, you may want to get some anti-seize gel. Any autoparts store should sell it. It is zinc based and you spread on the inside of the new rotor where it touches the hub. This keeps from having to go through what you did.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ubricant_a.htm

They sell this in a small tube rather than the big jug you see here.

Randy B