E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

sensor for air pressure.. on E320 2003

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sensor for air pressure.. on E320 2003

Question.. getting some aftermarket wheels how can i tell if my car has sensor for air pressure on my tires?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by ivanla
Question.. getting some aftermarket wheels how can i tell if my car has sensor for air pressure on my tires?
It doesn't. it wasn't available on your car.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Hey... don't feel bad. Its not available on the '07s anymore either.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks..

I just wanted to make sure.. thanks guys..
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
asg

2007 S600
Smartire makes a system that you can use on any car. You need to put the sensors in the wheels and add a small display in the car. You could mount it in the ashtray or glove box.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Hey... don't feel bad. Its not available on the '07s anymore either.
One CAN Version Code the 2007 Via Star Diag
Its Not as Nice as the FULL TPMs as it works off of wheel speed and NOT Tire Pressure. ...But it WILL Let you know if you have a flat

Or

Install TPMs with Sensors/Wire Harness/control unit....

Steve added the TPMs in the Wifes W211 Works Great!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I had TPMS in my '04. The system you describe is in use in Canada. I can check my tire pressure and I can check my oil with the dipstick now. 2 less electronic nuisance areas for me to be concerned with. Boy, have I become gun shy!

To those who have it and it works all the time... Nice!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
I had TPMS in my '04. The system you describe is in use in Canada. I can check my tire pressure and I can check my oil with the dipstick now. 2 less electronic nuisance areas for me to be concerned with. Boy, have I become gun shy!

To those who have it and it works all the time... Nice!
Barry, congratulations on your new E. When you do take your car in for service would you please check and see if your car does in fact have TPMS. NHTSA required this as mandatory for all car makers and the heavy phase in period began with 07' models. By 9/07 all cars for sale in the US will have to have these systems. It may not be a very technical system like what you had in the 04' however at a minimum must display a warning light of the problem.

Below is the link to the NHTSA ruling. Click on the link for the costs and lead times and scroll to the bottom. That should you give you some pretty good information.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...DNo138%2D2005/

Randy B
Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I think I read that the "Check Tire Pressures" light system that the Canadian cars have is in our cars too, but it is turned off. It uses the ABS system & other onboard computers to notice that one of the tires is rotating at a different speed than the others, therefore it must have not enough air in it or too much, so the "Check Tire Pressures" warning comes on. It doesn't tell you which tire is not right just that at least one of them is not right.

Its a basic system, but it works, If its activated in my car, the owners manual must mention it... I'll check tonite. My Wife's '01 Olds Intrigue has that system. It works... its no TPMS, but then again, that is one of the systems on my '04 that constantly failed, giving TPMS Sysyem Failure warnings of various sorts on the MFD intermittantly. (RO's always said: Can not reproduce)

I kinda believe MBUSA has deactivated as many electronic doodads as possible in the US '07's, even though M-B Germany has built them into the car, to make them as reliable as possible, which for me, is just fine. Out of sight, out of mind. I guess they figure the fewer the complaints, the higher their ratings will go. I for one, could really use an enjoyable experience with this new one. I already love it... I just want it to love me back. I guess they feel they have time to turn the system back on on the production line or at the VPC by the mandated due date.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
I think I read that the "Check Tire Pressures" light system that the Canadian cars have is in our cars too, but it is turned off. It uses the ABS system & other onboard computers to notice that one of the tires is rotating at a different speed than the others, therefore it must have not enough air in it or too much, so the "Check Tire Pressures" warning comes on. It doesn't tell you which tire is not right just that at least one of them is not right.

Its a basic system, but it works, If its activated in my car, the owners manual must mention it... I'll check tonite. My Wife's '01 Olds Intrigue has that system. It works... its no TPMS, but then again, that is one of the systems on my '04 that constantly failed, giving TPMS Sysyem Failure warnings of various sorts on the MFD intermittantly. (RO's always said: Can not reproduce)

I kinda believe MBUSA has deactivated as many electronic doodads as possible in the US '07's, even though M-B Germany has built them into the car, to make them as reliable as possible, which for me, is just fine. Out of sight, out of mind. I guess they figure the fewer the complaints, the higher their ratings will go. I for one, could really use an enjoyable experience with this new one. I already love it... I just want it to love me back. I guess they feel they have time to turn the system back on on the production line or at the VPC by the mandated due date.
I wish I could disable the TPMS in my 2004 S430. I hate it. Such a high maintenance option..Sensors are $150 each and of course I have one that is giving me problems.. I think I know when I have a flat thank you very much!!!

BE aware though.. ALL 2008 vehicles sold in the US will come with some types of TPMS system by LAW. Some Lobbyist managed to convince Congress that it was a "Safety" feature. That will be my next big stock investment for sure if I can find a legit fund.