E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Gas Gauge or Tank problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
Gas Gauge or Tank problem

This morning I had an almost empty tank, and went to fill up. Normally, a full tank would have cost me ~$55.00 but the gas pump stopped after 8 gallons and only about $32.00. It would not let me pump anymore no matter how hard I tried. Started the car and sure enough I only got about a little under 3/4 tank. I tried again and still would not pump anymore inside. I drove it around for a while and no change. Do I have a full tank or is there something else wrong. According to my mileage, before I went to the gas station, I did need gas since I normally get about 380 miles per full tank. Please help me or do I need to bring it in? I only have 7200 miles on the 2006 E350. Am I still covered? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by barrafp
This morning I had an almost empty tank, and went to fill up. Normally, a full tank would have cost me ~$55.00 but the gas pump stopped after 8 gallons and only about $32.00. It would not let me pump anymore no matter how hard I tried. Started the car and sure enough I only got about a little under 3/4 tank. I tried again and still would not pump anymore inside. I drove it around for a while and no change. Do I have a full tank or is there something else wrong. According to my mileage, before I went to the gas station, I did need gas since I normally get about 380 miles per full tank. Please help me or do I need to bring it in? I only have 7200 miles on the 2006 E350. Am I still covered? Thanks.
Perhaps you've already done this... Something might be wrong with the tank but just to use the process of elimination, did you try pumping at a different gas station to make sure the issue is definitely with the car/gastank and not a faulty gas nozzle at the gas station.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 AM

2006 E350
No I haven't tried it but I sure will in the morning. The tank is at half again so I will fill it up to see if the problem either is gone or if it was a faulty gas pump. The person that finished pumping gas before me didn't seem to have a problem with the pump. I did manage to get 8 gallons out of it before it stopped.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by barrafp
Please help me or do I need to bring it in? I only have 7200 miles on the 2006 E350. Am I still covered? Thanks.
You are absolutely covered under warranty. Best bet bring it in.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 AM

I had this problem as well. It took the service department three times to get it right, and I was stranded without gas twice in the process even though the guage said I had fuel left. After replacing both sender units in the tank and updating software, it turned out to be a faulty rear SAM control module. Luckily I was under warranty, I was told it would have been very expensive otherwise...