E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

why are sport wheels different ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Update. At the dealer this morning. My sales guy wasn't there yet but I will ask him. Looked on the lot and there were some of each. I thought maybe it was that they switched from one to other. There was a used 07 sport on the lot with the polished rims and new ones with both styles. Really wish I had known before. Anybody know what's up with that? Are they still shipping both and was there a choice I didn't know about. I probably never noticed the difference until we got it because the spoke design is exactly the same. Who would have thought they'd offer two different finishes.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
My only explanation is they get them from two suppliers, hence the different finishes. That's my best guess until I hear a confirmed one.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 PM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
In spite of the face of mine being polished & the inner portions painted, I really don't notice that much of a difference while standing back & comparing the 2. There might be a little more of a shine, however the face is not extremely polishied to a super high shine. You really have to look. If they had also polished the inner portions, it would definitely look better. You could always get them chromed... There is a company listed on ebay where you buy theirs, then once you receive them you send them your factory originals. I'm just thinkg that with these wheels it would look like too much chrome.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Almost a Member!

the difference is subtle but when you do notice it, the polished face is very classy compared to the dull silver finish. I'm really bummed that I didnt catch this at the time of delivery otherwise i would have requested a swap of wheels from the other cars on the lot.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:08 PM

'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Ditto. I too would have requested a swap. The painted face is very dull compared to the many bits of chrome on the car. Oh well. Just bugs me that they ship with two different wheels. It's very deceiving as they are the exact same rim, just finished two different ways. Anyone have their rims polished? Did that years ago on painted rims on my 300CD and on my father's 300SDL. The paint had started to peel and that seemed to be a great solution. Would think it would be really nice on these rims, as they have almost no flat surface. My wife I'm sure would be opposed to the change, but I am curious if anybody has any experience with polishing.