E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Any regrets from BMW converts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any regrets from BMW converts?

I've been looking to get out of my LR3 lease, can't wait to get back into a sedan that's fun to drive and gets better than 13mpg. I've had BMW 3's and 5's in the past, but I just can't warm up the interior/exterior/I-Drive of new 5er, even though it's a great driving car. I never gave MB much of look until recently...I really like both the interior and exterior of the E350 sport. A couple questions:
- Anyone out there regret moving from a BMW to an E? Why?
- Has the E gotten any closer to the 5 series in driving dynamics?
- I've read that MB quality has taken a dive, have they solved the problems with the '07?
- I'm looking to lease - how are costs over the first 3 years?

There is a E350 sport in black and cognac brown optioned just the way I would want at a local dealer...P2, folding seats. I said I'd never go with black again - how does MB's black hold up?
There is only 1 MB dealer in my area, so they may not be too willing to deal.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by JimO'B
I've been looking to get out of my LR3 lease, can't wait to get back into a sedan that's fun to drive and gets better than 13mpg. I've had BMW 3's and 5's in the past, but I just can't warm up the interior/exterior/I-Drive of new 5er, even though it's a great driving car. I never gave MB much of look until recently...I really like both the interior and exterior of the E350 sport. A couple questions:
- I've read that MB quality has taken a dive, have they solved the problems with the '07?

There is a E350 sport in black and cognac brown optioned just the way I would want at a local dealer...P2, folding seats. I said I'd never go with black again - how does MB's black hold up?
Thanks for your help.
I am a Mercedes guy but even I look at bmw's and think they just might be a better car. I love sporty cars and bmw seems to a step ahead in that area. Its all personal preference so its up to you in the end. I get great deals and that keeps me a MB driver and I have come to love my 2007 E350 almost more than my 2004 E55.

I must say the quality of the 2007 car is outstanding. 7000 miles so far and not one issue. It really feels solid and works like a swiss watch (well better than my swiss watch that keeps terrible time...). I am glad to see quality come back to mb and the internal word is that every new model or chassis coming down the road is going to return to the roots of solid lasting quality like in the 80's.

If you like the E350 after driving it go for it. I actually really enjoy mine. MB black paint is among the strongest in the business (I have a black SL55) but it still scratches and gets swirl marks with time. If those do not bug you (they drive me NUTS) you will love the MB black. Its stronger than any other black on the market but you cant get away from the fact that black shows everything.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
Smile

Over the years I've gone back and forth...Had a 95 525Ti wagon that I loved...put 90K miles on it without any trouble...Had a 98 ML 320 that was a dog...Had an X5 that was great to drive, though my family said I slung them all around when I drove it...Had a '03 330 sedan...a great car...Now have a 04 MB 320 wagon...I like the looks and the handling of the MB better than the 5 series wagon.

I have found that BMW is a bit more sport driving oriented until you get to the AMG vs M war...I've never had an AMG or M...THe MB "feels" better for everyday driving, especially with the family on board...While the BMW is "driver" oriented, the MB is focused more on all the passengers...just my humble opinion.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 PM

E 350 sport, 300c SRT8
i had an 04 bmw 530 sport and it drove hands down better than my new 07 350 sport. it had a much greater "connected to the road feeling" The E350 is more numb feeling. I am actually going next week to see about trading for a new 535 sport. Since i bought mine for 5000 off MSRP i have a little room to lose on her.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM

You will still lose your *** on the MB even with 5k off. I got 12k off my 06 bc I am the manager's son and I am STILL behind.

MB is more about a lux ride and bmw is and always will be more of a driver's car. Honestly, the mb is perfect for a daily driver and bmws are more suited (for me) for a weekend "fun" ride.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
I've had BMW 3's and 5's in the past, but I just can't warm up the interior/exterior/I-Drive of new 5er, even though it's a great driving car.
Like you, I too have driven 3's and 5's in the past, as well as C and E class in the 80's and late 90's.
Before deciding to trade my current 335i coupe for an E 320 Bluetec, I drove a 530i sedan (now 535i). Yes, it drives very well, but for me its negatives far outweight its excellent driving dynamics. The styling, inside and out, is poorly executed. The narrow greenhouse restricts visibility. The build quality is not up to the MB level, IMO. And the resale for the 5 series is tanking along with current sales numbers. Whilst the 335/535 engine is a wonderful six, this twin turbo machine really sucks up gas when driving around the city. Gas mileage in city driving is about 17mpg (imperial) or about 14 mpg (US), far less than the EPA rating.
Previous models of MB that I have driven typically had numb steering, sluggish transmissions and less than stellar engines compared to BMW. However, I am convinced that MB has made considerable progress improving the driving dynamics of the E Class, especially with the 2007 model - a return to hydraulic brakes, a quicker steering ratio, a firmer suspension and a new 7 speed transmission. Then, for me at least, there is the added bonus of a fuel sipping, 400 lb.ft. of torque diesel that will out hustle most cars on the highway.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Switch to MB

I switched from an Acura, which was an excellent and trouble free sedan , however it was rather plain in and out. I switched to a 2005 E500 4matic and after only 11,300 miles, I love the car. Steering, looks in and out, quality are unmatched. No problems thus far. I find the braking requires a light brake peddle touch to bring car to a halt. I'm not sure what the complaints are regarding the brakes, feel great to me IMO. All in all, my MB is great.

Irridium silver, Nav, Sirius 2005 E500 4 matic
Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts
Answers:

- No
- No
- Seem to have
- MB has some great lease deals at year end, and service intervals are infrequent
Old 05-14-2007, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
No regrets at all.

Only reason went to BMW was unavailablity of gasoline engine in W123.

Now I love diesels.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM

W164 ML350, S211 E500 4MATIC T, Specialized FSR
Switched from 2002 BMW 330i [E46] Sport/Premium to E500 4matic wagon [S211]. This is not a good comparison since these two cars are in a very diff segment. But before I got the E500 I also looked at the newer 330i's and was not impressed with the interior space and I hated the RFT's. In the end I was afraid that I would end up spending $1200 - $1500 a year for new tires...[prices have dropped since then I guess]. Also the new 330i I tested with Sport/Premium with the RFT's felt not a sporty and lacked the crisp driving characteristics I loved on my old 330i.

The E500 is great and I have Airmatic that I can select into Sport mode. When we go up the local mountains in the twisties I have a lot of fun and I think the wagon handles excellent. Sure it does not drive like my old BWM but MB's are made for a diff driver in mind...always had been...

The BMW Bangle design I do not even get into!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
When my 2002 540 lease ran out, I really wanted to stay with BMW. I really had enjoyed my car, but I couldn't get over the new fugly 5. I asked around and had several people warn me about MB quality issues. But at the end of the day, there was nothing around that could compete. Nobody knew when the M5 was coming out, and when it did, it would still be ugly.

The E55 is a fantastic car. Believe the hype. But it hasn't been trouble free. ABS light on twice for different problems, no cold air when the A/C kicked into max mode, my blinking SOS light and the intermittent dead COMAND.

Regrets about the car? No. The new 5 is still ugly. But here's my bit of wisdom. If you only have one local MB dealer, ask people about them. Brand vs. brand is important, but so is dealer vs. dealer. Both sales and service from my local BMW dealer are better than my local MB dealer. The MB techs took forever to fix my Teleaid issue, never call me when they say they will, and can be difficult to get a hold of. I don't think my sales guy even knows my name.

I went to the BMW dealership the other day to look at the new E93. One of the sales guys (not even my guy) recognized me and called over the guy who sold me my 540 five years ago. He shook my hand and addressed me by name. They rolled out the red carpet for me.

Next year when my lease is up I may very well go back to the spinning propeller. But it won't be because of my car. It's the dealership experience.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
MB is much better car than BMW, especially if you are looking for sedan. MB is more comfortable, better ride quality, better build quality, much more practical car. Needless to say it looks much better. Perharps it's the reason why MB dealers do not want negotiate.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:18 AM

2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
I just sold my 04 325 Ci with full Dinan and AC Schnitzer mods. Great car for twisty roads but in city driving where I am on a grid with stop lights or on the highway for a long trip, my new 05 E320 CDI excels. Not to mention the mileage. I could never get into the new body styles of the 3 or 5 series sedans. The new 3 coupe looks ok but hate the dash layout. Personal preference.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 PM

W211 & Q7
Originally Posted by gonsorellie
Switched from 2002 BMW 330i [E46] Sport/Premium to E500 4matic wagon [S211]. This is not a good comparison since these two cars are in a very diff segment.
Agree. I had/have both cars. They are two "different" characteristic cars.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks for your help.
I test drove a BMW 2008 535i and end up gotten a MB 2007 E350 with sport. It's not like that I didn't like the BMW. It was just didn't get the right price.

Comparing the 5 and E, I think the ride are similar. MB got a overall better feel (exterior and interior) but BMW got better electronic.

MB black looks cool with the sport package.

MB's dealer is more willing to deal than BMW's in my area.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Over past 6 years I've owned 2001 540i, 2002 M3, 2003 X5, 2006E500, 2007GL450. BMW's better handling and resale, MB better ride, comfort, styling. IMO MB a bit ahead on overall fit, finish. Still can't swallow Bangle styling nor ride attendant to runflat tires.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I plan to drive the 535 and E back-to-back soon. It seems like MB provides a bit more "bang for your buck" with L7, nav, etc. I'm also guessing that the 535 will not lease very well for a while.
I noticed you have a GL too - coming off a lumbering LR3 I'm swore off another SUV, but I hear the GL drives great for an SUV - what are your thoughts on it so far? With 5 kids the SUV comes in handy at times (my wife has the Honda van), but I miss my sedan.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 MB E550 Sport
Originally Posted by Otto
Agree. I had/have both cars. They are two "different" characteristic cars.

Ditto.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW X5, GL450, Saab 9-3, E550
I have owned several BMW's (most recently an x5 and a 330ci). I just replaced the x5 with a GL450 - superior in every way except handling at the limits, but the better ride more than makes up for it). I'm about to get an E550 for the same reasons most people switch from BMW to MB: I don't like the direction BMW is going (well that and the fact that the e550 is a blazingly fast Q-ship). MB are more comfortable for the way most of us drive on a daily basis, have 8 or 9/10 the handling of a BMW, are more attractive inside and out, and seem to be offering more for the dollar right now.