E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bought my 1st E-class and have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Bought my 1st E-class and have some questions

Hi, Newbie here. Just purchased my first Mercedes E-Class. Until now i've been a hard core Audi, and BMW person so am now ready to try a Mercedes. A few questions.

The car I bought is a 2003 E500W with only 14K miles on it.

1. What does the "W" signify? I have no clue

2. Is there any websites that can show all the technical specs and options that were available on this car for this year? I have no idea what it comes with and the dealer doesn't either. (not buying from an Mercedes Dealer).

3. Anything I should watch out for or check on? Any advice is appreciated as I know nothing about this model car.

4. I have this Brake Service Message on? What is that about? Anything to worry about? I don't have time yet but will take it to the dealer soon. Is it safe?

5. I hear a slight ticking noise from the engine? Anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance! I actually have a million and one more questions but will try to search for the rest.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by hawaiiannights
Hi, Newbie here. Just purchased my first Mercedes E-Class. Until now i've been a hard core Audi, and BMW person so am now ready to try a Mercedes. A few questions.

The car I bought is a 2003 E500W with only 14K miles on it.

1. What does the "W" signify? I have no clue
The "W" just means that it is a sedan.

2. Is there any websites that can show all the technical specs and options that were available on this car for this year? I have no idea what it comes with and the dealer doesn't either. (not buying from an Mercedes Dealer).
Are you trying to decode your option numbers or trying to find out what all it could have come with. You could always go to the dealer and have them print out a VMI for your car showing all your present options if wanted.

3. Anything I should watch out for or check on? Any advice is appreciated as I know nothing about this model car.
Most of the problems with the '03 W211 have to do with the audio system. If you still have a warranty left take it to the dealer and complain about the Audio system and see if there is any updated software for your Audio 50 Headunit and the Audio Gateway.

4. I have this Brake Service Message on? What is that about? Anything to worry about? I don't have time yet but will take it to the dealer soon. Is it safe?
More than likely, you need new brake pads at the front or rear. If you have any kind of mechanical skills you should be able to do them yourself or read one of the many write-ups about how to do them on these cars.

More than likely what you are hearing is the Purge Valve doing its job. If you open the hood and it definitely sounds like it is coming from the engine itself then you may have a problem worth worrying about. If I remember correctly, the purge valve is on the driver's side behind the headlamp. If the ticking you are hearing is coming from that area, don't worry about it. That is normal for it to tick when it is actuated through the Engine ECU.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Some 2003s had a problem with engine mounts that resulted in a ticking/clicking sound. I don't recall if the problem was limited to E320s or extended to E500s. My E500 hasn't had any engine mount problems, although it did have the audio problem that r_f mentioned (fixed under warranty).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM

2003 E500
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still trying to find out which forums have the best participation, seems like this one is pretty good.

I'll check on the ticking sound to see where its coming from.

What kind of Audio problems are we talking about? Sounded pretty good to me!

Thanks in advance guys...keep em coming! And nice to meet you all!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
They were early production problems. As each one appeared MB scrambled (at that time) to find a cure or fix for the problem. Its not like there is a chronic single problem or defect.

Also in '03 there was some factory substitutions of the audio system originally planned to be in the E Class when the car was made available for purchase. By this time that has all been sorted out.

Which Audio System in the car depends on when the car was built, and if the previous owner swapped it out for a different factory unit design Audio System.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 E450 Coupe, 2022 Porsche Macan, 2001 Porsche 911
Also, regarding your question about the "W", I think you meant about the W or S switch on the gear shift console. "W" stands for Winter transmission mode, which makes you take off in second gear to keep from slipping - and "S" stands for Standard transmission mode.

You will really like this site, it's very helpful!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:52 AM

2003 E500
This is whats shown in my instrument panel.
It comes and goes. But will come on at least once a day....????

Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Time for new brake pads although with only 15k miles that's a little early, someone might have been brake happy. The brake pads have sensors that tell the car when they get low (this could be front or back giving you the signal, take the wheels off to tell). While you are at it, change the rotors. They are not designed to be turned. There are a ton of threads on here about brake jobs, how to do it, cost, etc. It's an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:06 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
T

What kind of Audio problems are we talking about? Sounded pretty good to me!
The descriptions I've seen of the problems with '03 audio systems varied, but they usually involved the system unexpectedly turning itself off, and then sometimes restarting. In the case of our '03, after a few months the audio took to going silent with a blank display and then restarting itself every three minutes or so. If you have that problem, you'll know it. If you don't, it's very possible that the problem has been fixed on your car. It's a one-time fix that involves an upgrade to the audio system firmware and/or replacement of something called the "audio gateway."
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
Time for new brake pads although with only 15k miles that's a little early, someone might have been brake happy.
It's probably the rears. SBC, you know.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 PM

2003 E500
Thanks guys, the place I bought it from will check it for me and have it fixed (brake problem). Ironically I bought the thing from a Lexus dealer as I was originally going to buy a Lexus GS350 but couldn't afford $50K so bought this baby for $29K.

I also noticed now that I have a scratch on the windshield (actual a cluster of many scrathes in one area like some one used sandpaper in just one spot). I need to have that fixed...suggestions?

This forum is great! Lots of interaction. Is this the best forum you guys use? Any other recommendations?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:50 PM

hawaiiannights,

Just curious, are you from Hawaii? I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and play around on internet forums quite a bit and have yet to find another person who lives in Hawaii.

Asaszn
Old 04-13-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Thanks guys, the place I bought it from will check it for me and have it fixed (brake problem). Ironically I bought the thing from a Lexus dealer as I was originally going to buy a Lexus GS350 but couldn't afford $50K so bought this baby for $29K.

I also noticed now that I have a scratch on the windshield (actual a cluster of many scrathes in one area like some one used sandpaper in just one spot). I need to have that fixed...suggestions?

This forum is great! Lots of interaction. Is this the best forum you guys use? Any other recommendations?
This is the only MB Forum you'll need. Good info, great people. Enjoy the car. Welcome!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Asaszn
hawaiiannights,

Just curious, are you from Hawaii? I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and play around on internet forums quite a bit and have yet to find another person who lives in Hawaii.

Asaszn
HOWZIT~~!!! \\mn// Yup yup...local boy hea~!
Nice to meet you too! So no Local peeps on these forums huh?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:47 AM

'13 E550 W4
1. Make sure to get all of the "recall" work done by Mercedes.
2. Get the brakes fixed ASAP. All warnings in the dash cluster are real. Depending on the length of time that warning has been there, you could be riding on no brakes right now...
3. Have fun with your new car.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
For the options list, enter your VIN here:

http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng
Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Brakes...

Did you purchase this from a dealership? If so, was it "certified"... if it was certified, demand they fix the brakes for you free of charge... according to their "certification of used cars", the brakes need to be (i think) at least 70% in order for them to be able to certify the car.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
This is where he got it...

Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by AsianML
For the options list, enter your VIN here:

http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng
Wow this is awesome! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
HOWZIT~~!!! \\mn// Yup yup...local boy hea~!
Nice to meet you too! So no Local peeps on these forums huh?
Congrats on the new W211.
Living in Seattle now but still local to da bone!
There are several local peeps on MBworld, couple others with W211s too.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Macan, 2018 Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, 2024 G63
I also noticed now that I have a scratch on the windshield (actual a cluster of many scrathes in one area like some one used sandpaper in just one spot).
That is one hell of a coincidence.
I got my car from a Lexus dealership and my windshield had a crack at one end.
Although, they did install a new windshield at no cost.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 AM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by mspaul
That is one hell of a coincidence.
I got my car from a Lexus dealership and my windshield had a crack at one end.
Although, they did install a new windshield at no cost.

Whoa, just found a small crack...rock damage I think? that I just had plugged for $60 of my own money. I wonder if the Dealer will pay me back for this?

I know, maybe Lexus does this to all Mercedes it sells? haha
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 AM

2003 E500
Got the Brake service light thing checked out today. They said it was some kind of a faulty switch? Not sure exactly what it was since it was explained to me from the mechanic through the dealer to me. Either way, they intalled a new one and the light now longer comes on. They said they will set up an appointment for me to have the 3-recall issues done as well.

All is good BUT...... now my Stereo is acting up!! I heard about this!
Basically it got all staticy today while I was driving, and then I couldn't turn it off...finally it got so bad and some message came on saying "can not connect to stereo" or somthing like that?? I turned off the engine and restarted the car, and it was back to normal......what is that all about? Is this something the dealer will fix???

Thanks for all the help guys..
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Got the Brake service light thing checked out today. They said it was some kind of a faulty switch? Not sure exactly what it was since it was explained to me from the mechanic through the dealer to me. Either way, they intalled a new one and the light now longer comes on. They said they will set up an appointment for me to have the 3-recall issues done as well.

All is good BUT...... now my Stereo is acting up!! I heard about this!
Basically it got all staticy today while I was driving, and then I couldn't turn it off...finally it got so bad and some message came on saying "can not connect to stereo" or somthing like that?? I turned off the engine and restarted the car, and it was back to normal......what is that all about? Is this something the dealer will fix???

Thanks for all the help guys..
All your issues your making me want to sell my e320 03 lol.. I have the stupid brake thing now in my console.. the brakes feel fine, but sure enough its on every day.. My car is not currently under warranty now
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
There was a well known Audio Gateway update that goes back to the '03's & early '04s that will eliminate the problem. Tell the service department exactly as you described it here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bought my 1st E-class and have some questions