E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer can't figure out how to confirm/update my COMAND software??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Dealer can't figure out how to confirm/update my COMAND software??????

Hi everyone.

We've swapped out our Audio 50 with a used COMAND unit out of a CLS.

Wife took the car to the dealer's service department to make sure that everything software-wise was up-to-date due to the swap.

Service department says that they can't figure out to update things because I don't have a NAV drive to update through...

I'm figuring they must be completely clued out: shouldn't the update be "fed" via the DVD drive in the COMAND unit???

Before I call them and rag them out, I thought I should confirm things here first.

Am I right?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by murman
Hi everyone.

We've swapped out our Audio 50 with a used COMAND unit out of a CLS.

Wife took the car to the dealer's service department to make sure that everything software-wise was up-to-date due to the swap.

Service department says that they can't figure out to update things because I don't have a NAV drive to update through...

I'm figuring they must be completely clued out: shouldn't the update be "fed" via the DVD drive in the COMAND unit???

Before I call them and rag them out, I thought I should confirm things here first.

Am I right?
The single slot in the COMAND is actually a cd rom not a dvd rom drive. Unless you have the Euro spec COMAND. The dvd drive in the trunk is where all of the US SPEC COMAND upgrades happen, I believe.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
The single slot in the COMAND is actually a cd rom not a dvd rom drive. Unless you have the Euro spec COMAND. The dvd drive in the trunk is where all of the US SPEC COMAND upgrades happen, I believe.
It had been my understanding that the most recently built COMANDs for the US had DVD drives, but only music-capable, not video-capable...

Nonetheless, why can't the system be updated using its own drive?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmmmm,

I didn't know the newer ones had dvd drives. The best bet for correct information on this would be to PM the user KonigsTiger on this board. He'll be able to tell you, without a doubt, what the deal is.

Not sure why it can't be updated through the single slot. When I upgraded my COMAND, I popped the disc in my drive in my trunk and it updated. Mine is a 2004 though.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
Murman is correct the newer US commands have DVD roms. I use it all the time for 1500+ MP3's on a dvd-r

Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,434 Likes on 3,151 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by murman
We've swapped out our Audio 50 with a used COMAND unit out of a CLS. Wife took the car to the dealer's service department to make sure that everything software-wise was up-to-date due to the swap.
If I understand you correctly you’re saying that you replaced the Audio 50 (cassette) head unit with a COMAND head unit (no cassette) without navigation and want to update any related software. The updates they’re referring to via the navigation drive in the trunk would only be for “navigation” (NAVTEQ) software updates. You can mention DTB P-B-82.60/382a MAY06 for reference. I believe the current Service Update Disc for the COMAND head unit is W211 589 11 22 00. The Audio Gateway (AGW) software is updated through STAR Diagnosis.

Procedure for COMAND head unit software update:
- Power up, select radio, make sure CD player is empty
- Press and release key combination (1, 3, and 8) simultaneously
- When prompted, insert service update disc into head unit disc player
- Wait a few seconds while the head unit detects the disc, press OK hardkey to start update process
- When the update is complete, the head unit will eject the disc
- Remove the disc and observe as the unit will automatically reboot
Old 04-25-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
If I understand you correctly you’re saying that you replaced the Audio 50 (cassette) head unit with a COMAND head unit (no cassette) without navigation and want to update any related software. The updates they’re referring to via the navigation drive in the trunk would only be for “navigation” (NAVTEQ) software updates. You can mention DTB P-B-82.60/382a MAY06 for reference. I believe the current Service Update Disc for the COMAND head unit is W211 589 11 22 00. The Audio Gateway (AGW) software is updated through STAR Diagnosis.

- Wait a few seconds while the head unit detects the disc, press OK hardkey to start update process
Thanx, K.

Reliable as always.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger

Is there anything you DON'T know about these things?!?!?!?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
In the single slot in the head unit