E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sirius Satellite Self install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
Sirius Satellite Self install

Does anyone have part numbers instructions on how to self install the sirius radio kit? I have successfully installed my COMAND and NAV in my '03 E, and this should be a snap compared to my previous mods.

John
Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by jmorgis
Does anyone have part numbers instructions on how to self install the sirius radio kit? I have successfully installed my COMAND and NAV in my '03 E, and this should be a snap compared to my previous mods. John
I can email a PDF of the MBUSA SIRIUS install instructions for 2006 to use as a general guide, PM your email address. Not certain if completely compatible with your 03, your vehicle more than likely is not pre-wired, and to determine your correct trunk panel replacement you will need to supply your VIN. If you run into any problems you can contact Sunman https://mbworld.org/forums/members/9235-sunilp.html
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM

2013 SLK
PM sent. Thank You!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 PM

2013 SLK
Has anyone had luck with a late build MY'03? Also does the song/artist show in the comand when Sirius is playing a song?

John
Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The Song/Artist info is not normally displayed. The Category and Channel Name are the "standard display". To see the Artist/Title info, you must press the soft key "Info" button. Then Artist/Title information replaces the standard display.

The Title/Artist info is always available, but must be "summoned up".
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM

2013 SLK
That almost backwards , even my < $100 XM shows artist! Can you save favorite songs? Like my XM can save 20+ songs, and when the song/artist is playing on any station the radio beeps and prompts me if I want to change the channel. For $1000 option, Sirius should have ALL the bells and whistles! Am I right?

I hear alot of songs, and I can glance down and see who the artist is, taking my eyes off the road to hit a "INFO" button seems unsafe

What else CANT the MB Sirius do? Maybe I should keep me XM (and a $1000 bucks!)

John
Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Actually your little XM set up is more than a Receiver if its got memory. XM displays truncated Title/Artist, Sirius displays it in full, and sometimes other info if the channel cares to display it. The MB set up is completely integrated, you can change channels, make it louder & lower by using steering wheel or Comand controlls. There are no wires hanging in a 60K car, nothing to be stolen, no add on antenna.

No its not the cheapest way to get Satellite. As for content... it doesn't matter any more since after ther merger, the content will be merged, and will be the same on each.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM

2013 SLK
Barry, you bring up a interesting point. As we all know, XM and Sirius are merging, have the stated publicly which HW they will settle on? As it will not be economically feasible to keep both formats, run both sets of satellites etc.

Since I am already am a XM subscriber, if they sunset the XM technology, in favor of the Sirius im out $100, but if it goes the other way we all would loose our integrated Sirius kits and $1000!

Im all for the integration, and If I can get the parts for a good price, I will install myself and save the MB fees.!

John
Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
XM & Sirius are vague about content. Once the merger goes through, OEM specific receivers & replacement OEM receivers will be able to receive both signals they say, depending on which subscription you have. The current satellites will be used as it untill replacements are needed, and by that time, they will have decided which set-up to use.

Programming will continue to be unique immediately after the merger, and gradually duplicate type channels will be eliminated, and the better sounding one will be simulcast to both Sirius & XM, saving them money. You will long be out of your current car before you have to worry about getting a signal, but those purchasing your current vehicle will be cut off or have to replace the receiver way down the road.

Car companies that currently sell both XM & Sirius receivers will be advised which format will survive before the consolidation of programming, so they will sell you the right one.

If it doesn't go down exactly like this, I doubt you will get hurt, the Satellites are pretty new & have a long enough life span. Its like Onstar going all digital, and Analogue TV transmitters being turned off in about 22 months. There's plenty of time to pre adapt.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I can email a PDF of the MBUSA SIRIUS install instructions for 2006 to use as a general guide, PM your email address. Not certain if completely compatible with your 03, your vehicle more than likely is not pre-wired, and to determine your correct trunk panel replacement you will need to supply your VIN. If you run into any problems you can contact Sunman https://mbworld.org/forums/members/9235-sunilp.html
Where is the SAT unit in relation the MOST ring?

If one is not pre-wired, is the extra required wiring a real pig?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by murman
Where is the SAT unit in relation the MOST ring? If one is not pre-wired, is the extra required wiring a real pig?
As I understand it pre-wiring consists of the SDARS power supply/MOST connector and antenna leads installed to the right side of the trunk. As far as how involved it would be if not pre-wired possibly those with actual hands on experience can better comment. 06 MOST ring configuration: Audio Gateway (AGW) – Head Unit – 6-disc CD changer – Voice Control System – Telephone – SIRIUS (SDARS) – Navigation – AGW.

Last edited by konigstiger; 05-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 PM

2013 SLK
Opinions needed. !!1

I pulled the covering back from the right side of my trunk area. I did NOT see any cable harness for the SDARS. Although my '03 was pre-wired for NAV, it looks like it not pre-wired for Sirius.

Is this still an option for me, or does this seal the fate of integrated Sirius...

I was hoping that it would of been plug and play like the NAV install...

John
Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
if your car is not prewired then you will need to install a harness and fiber cable
Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 AM

2013 SLK
Thanks, can you (or anyone else) assist in the additional parts needed? ie. MB #'s?

John
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500
SDARS Retrofit to '06 E500

I've got an '06 E500 that was pre-wired for the phone set up including the VCS but not pre-wired for the SDARS. I purchased a receiver and antenna and I was able to get a retrofit wiring harness from MB Doctor. I was also able to get the proper fiber optic cables and bracket through an MB dealership. The installation of the receiver and the MOST cables is pretty much covered in the MB Bulletin. I'm a little confused though on the wiring harness. It's a fairly simple set-up consisting of three lines --a red "hot" line that terminates in a red fuse holder MB part#211 545 09 01 that can be clipped into the slots in the fuse box, a pink line that branches with a pin terminal on one end and a black connector on the other end of the branch- I assume this is the "wake up" line-- and a brown ground wire. Easy to figure where the ground goes but I have two questions (1) My F33 fuse box has 5 spaces with two, #84 and #85, occupied by fuse holders similar to the one supplied with the retrofit harness. Two of the open spaces in the box appear to be color coded-one with a blue dot and one with a red dot. Which of these two should I connect to? (2)Can I tie the "wake up" line into the pink "wake up" line that is on the supply plug for the VCS module? Appeciate any help.
George Desiderio
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 PM

06 E350
I followed ILMBDriver's instructions here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/1266748-post7.html

and successfully installed my receiver, highly recommended.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 PM

2006 E500
Successful Install

I completed this install on my MY 06 E500. The pink wire on the retrofit harness simply ties into the pink "wake up" line on the plug normally used for the VCS module- I chose not to install the VCS module. The only real problem I had was trying to remove the pink wire pin from the VCS module plug so I could plug it into the connector provided with the harness. In the end, I cut the wire and spliced it into the retrofit harness with a wire connecor. Not what I really wanted to do, but I could not figure out how to remove the pin. Some say a pick or other sharp object can be used to extract these pins but I gave up after leaning over the trunk for about an hour! If anyone, anyone knows how to remove these pins please let me know--it's a manhood issue at this point! All that being said, the unit works fine and did not need to be version coded. The controls on the sterring wheel work flawlessly. I have also installed the bluetooth modules and when I get tiem, I'll do the final fiber optic hookup for this and take in for the version coding--I already know this needs to be coded. I tried the connections and it did not work.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 PM

2006 E500
How to remove the pins

I finally figured out how the pins come out of the plugs. The VCS plug is actually in two pieces. The smaller portion with the pink-red-brown wires can be separeted from the cover by pressing on a small detent. Once the two parts are separated, the pins can be depressed with a small pick and the wire pulled out along with the pin. One of those jos that is really simple once you've seen it done.