Car and Driver article & new brake system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Car and Driver article & new brake system

Just read the new article on the E500 and was surprised how positive it was (remember, it wasn't a BMW)! I was interested however in some of the comments in the "counterpoint" section regarding the new braking system. A few of the guys really slammed the system for being quite intrusive and to "available". All the new technology and safety features on the new E and other cars in general is great as long as it's "seen and not heard" until it is needed. I remember when I first looked at the E brochure, I thought about how many people would remember how to stop and control a car in the rain or snow without ABS, not to mention all the other features technology has given us. I remember when I was around 20 (not that long ago, i'm only 38) I refurbished a '68 GTO. Driving that thing in the rain or snow (god forbid) was a whole new experience in terror!! Anyway, was just wondering if any new owners have any complaints about the new braking system.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:41 PM
Almost a Member!

No complaints, system seems quite unobtrusive. When you lift off the gas quickly, the brake pedal does preload and brakes bite quickly, but it is no big deal, if you are used to modulating brakes with your toes you can feel it happening. Perhaps on a track it would be more obnoxious, but that is what my boxster is for
Old 10-05-2002, 01:19 PM

SLK 350 '05
i just bought the magazine. no complaints about it, but the brakes. one thing i didn't agree with them was the suspension settings. they say the "weakest" setting for the suspension is STILL too hard??? that's wierd cuz i usually have mine set on the medium level, and i think the weakest setting is WAAAYYY too soft, probably even softer than my E430. it floats around in corners and not as nice to drive, i only use it when i'm driving my grandparents around...less stress on their already worn out bones....

even my grandfather said it was a beautiful car:p so proud of it.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:41 AM

Porsche 997 C2S
Re: Car and Driver article & new brake system

Originally posted by cte430
Just read the new article on the E500 and was surprised how positive it was (remember, it wasn't a BMW)! I was interested however in some of the comments in the "counterpoint" section regarding the new braking system. A few of the guys really slammed the system for being quite intrusive and to "available". All the new technology and safety features on the new E and other cars in general is great as long as it's "seen and not heard" until it is needed. I remember when I first looked at the E brochure, I thought about how many people would remember how to stop and control a car in the rain or snow without ABS, not to mention all the other features technology has given us. I remember when I was around 20 (not that long ago, i'm only 38) I refurbished a '68 GTO. Driving that thing in the rain or snow (god forbid) was a whole new experience in terror!! Anyway, was just wondering if any new owners have any complaints about the new braking system.
I know exactly what you mean. The first car I drove in the snow was a rear-wheel drive monster without any techno-assists; that meant no traction, no abs, no nothing! It took several 360 spins in the snow before I got the hang of it ... after which it was sorta fun. Kinda exciting to start the car by slipping, have the tail pop out to one side, opposite lock and move "forward" at an angle. I scared many a passenger that way.

It is possible to overcook ABS/ESP/etc. I just wonder how people who learn to drive on a car with all these assists will react when that dreaded event happens.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
thats cool, i remember reading the in brochure that when you do lift you foot off the gass quick, the discs move closer to eachother
Old 10-10-2002, 11:53 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
WITH SBC,IF ALL FAILS,,,YOU STILL HAVE SOME BRAKING POWER,,,MERCEDES SAYS IF YOU HAVE SBC FAILURE,,PULL OVER AND CALL ROADSIDE TO FLATBED THIS CAR IN .
THE NEW E CLASS DOES HAVE PULSATION FREE ABS.
I HAVE DRIVIN A SL WITH FAILED SBC,,NOT FUN ,ACTUALLY KINDA SCARY.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
dude, i dont mean to argue but you have to type in non caps to make sense......also all of your commas are messed up...not periods
Old 10-11-2002, 06:25 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
i type in caps so you can read them as quick as you type

Old 10-11-2002, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i see