E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Puck & Tail Phone compatibility List.

Originally Posted by NitroShredder
I received my "puck with tail" this past Monday from MB. It's basically a bluetooth puck with a connector on the end that plugs into the E Class under the false floor in the center console. I had to work 12 hours Monday and Tues... so this AM was my first go at installing it.

Install took about 10 minutes (less actually, but I was having a fit putting the false floor back the way it should be =). Once the floor was out.. the puck connector plugged straight into the receptacle and I was able to pair my phone. Now, I have TMo and have two "unsupported" phones... a Sidekick3 and my older Motorola V330. The phone found the car using the instructions in the booklet but the first attempt gave me an error saying " The BT phonekit/speakerphone you are trying to pair with, is using an OLDER Bluetooth pairing technology and is not successful" or something to that effect. Well, I tried it again.. and got it to work.

However, the COMAND and MFD didn't register any change (both still showed "Please insert Phone." However, if I dialed a call with my phone from inside the car... the radio would mute out, and a phone icon would appear on the bottom stripe of the COMMAND screen.. and I would hear the call come thru the speakers. My microphone worked too.. so I was able to place calls without issue FROM the phone.. though the car didn't know about my phone.

I then completed the install with the floor and console and then needed to get some items from the house to run an errand. When I returned to the car and started her up... the COMMAND suddenly showed a new screen with a "123" on one of the softkeys, and a Phonebook button, and a LAST# button if I remember correctly. I decided to see if my phnebook would download and clicked the Phonebook option. It proceeded to "Download Phonebook" in progress... but again I had forgotten something and had to run back into the house. I never got to that screen again since then.

I ran my errands and my phone was able to place calls no problem.. still though the "Please insert Phone" screen on the MFD and COMMAND. I then stopped by my dealer and spoke with my salesman buddy and we went to the shop "guru." We tried to hook up the phone setup in the MOST configuration.. but he said it was ALREADY setup in my car ( I do NOT have any of the phone kit parts.. just this bluetooth puck w/tail). He then proceeded to run diagnostics and other stuff with the STAR computer... and I'm still at the same point I was before. I also tried to use my Motorola V330 when I got home.. and was able to pair it.. but no other improvements.

I was able to hve my wife call me in the car... and regardless of whether I'm on the phone COMMAND screen or CD or whichever... I get a "popup" message saying "Phone call" with the phone # (the V330 actually showed HOME and the #) and a "accept" or "reject" which I could use the SEND or END buttons on COMMAND or the arrow keys plus OK. The steering wheel buttons do NOT work.

I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere we missed at the dealer. I have read about some of you using the V60 cradle with the BMW puck and doing some stuff and getting it working. I wonder if that would work? Anyways, for now I have to say it's nice to have bluetooth in the car.. and be able to answer the phone without digging my bulky *** Sidekick out of my case to see who and answer the phone (plus it sucks to hold while driving =), though it rocks for everything else. Downside is I need to remove the phone to dial FROM the phone (contact list or dial a # manually) but then I can put it away.. and talk from the car. This could be a setting.. OR because it's not a "supported" phone I suppose... i dunno.... i'd love to try a RAZR though... seeing as those are "supported."

Anyways, I'm told retail on this unit from the dealers will be in the neighborhood of $388 and should be available very soon. This is probably the ticket to get if you have an 03 or 04 E class.. and I think an 04 S class. All you need is this unit... plugs straight in and no other cradle or hardware is required. Should be posted soon I would imagine on the aws website.

I will post any changes or discoveries in the meanwhile when/if they happen. Though now I'm thinking of getting a RAZR =)

Peace
Can someone provide a list of compatible phone for the new BT Puck/Tail # B67875855.?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
ilm

2004 E320 / 2007 SL550 / 2008 GL450
see attached file....

it is the news release from MB on the new unit - along with the list of approved phones.

My 04 e320 is going in for service on Friday - I will post if the dealer can get the 'puck' to work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
bluetooth replacer.pdf (101.6 KB, 1079 views)
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
17 E43, 10 E5504M
Thanks for your info again!

I will be very pleased if you can post result after your visit to the dealer for version coding / programming.

By the way, if you can get everything working as it should can you try pair it with phone(s) not under the approved list to see if it will work?

I really want bluetooth handfree in the car but I can't give up my E61.

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Blackberry 8830

The new Blackberry 8830 World Edition works very well with my new Bluetec. All functions work; downloads, dialed calls, received calls etc. I chose the Blackberry 8830 because I knew it worked plus it is dual mode CDMA and GSM and I can use it outside the USA when I travel.

Thanks for the info which I found on this forum that helped me decide on the phone.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:41 PM
ilm

Well....my dealer did finally get the 'puck with tail' to work in my car. Here is what they did - and the outcome of each step.

1. Checked/updated to make sure the software for the command center was updated to the latest version. Phone still not working

2. Check/updated the version code for the command center (I am still not sure what this is but they checked it). All setting were fine. Phone still not working.

At this point my dealer was stumped. The lead tech started looking at all of the settings for my car and found an option to turn on the phone in the teleaid options. Once he made that change - everything worked (and I mean everything). The Command center showed that I had a phone, the address book downloaded, the numeric keypad worked, speakers, mic, etc.

I did not try a non-approved MB phone, as I do not have access to one right now. I will try to borrow a friends phone and will post my results.

I hope this info help. Any questions, please let me know.

Last edited by ilm; 07-13-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
ilm

for those of you who would like to purchase one - the dealer that made the puck work in my car is selling it on e-bay for $350.00. you can find it at....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EF:US:11

Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 AM

2004 E500
Does anyone know of a MB dealer in S. Fla. that has the technical knowledge to activate the "puck with tail" - part #67875855? Getting the puck is no longer the issue. Though, many times I am the one informing the Service Advisors of this capability.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 AM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by ilm
Well....my dealer did finally get the 'puck with tail' to work in my car. Here is what they did - and the outcome of each step.

1. Checked/updated to make sure the software for the command center was updated to the latest version. Phone still not working

2. Check/updated the version code for the command center (I am still not sure what this is but they checked it). All setting were fine. Phone still not working.

At this point my dealer was stumped. The lead tech started looking at all of the settings for my car and found an option to turn on the phone in the teleaid options. Once he made that change - everything worked (and I mean everything). The Command center showed that I had a phone, the address book downloaded, the numeric keypad worked, speakers, mic, etc.

I did not try a non-approved MB phone, as I do not have access to one right now. I will try to borrow a friends phone and will post my results.

Thanks again for your post!

It sure helps and give me a better idea what's going on, thanks!

Please post result after your findings in regards to pairing it with phone not "Listed" under their approved list because it will be useless for me if I can't get my phone pair with it!

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by ilm

May I ask who your carrier is? I have a Razor, but Sprint is my carrier. The PDF announcement document does not list Sprint as a carrier. Does this mean that it will not work? Thanks for that PDF document. That should help with the dealers that are not aware of this product.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 PM
ilm

Snake413: my carrier is verizon. The best I can do is to ask some of my friends who their carrier is. If one of them uses Sprint I will try to pair the phone and see what happenes (if they have bluetooth).
Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 PM

2004 E500
Thanks ilm, I appreciate the help.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM

E-500
Working

I bought the new puck from an online dealership via EBay for $350. I was able to install it within a matter of minutes and it's working fine. I can send/receive calls, etc. However, with my Verizon Envy phone the phonebook will not update. It will sync with my Verizon BlackBerry 8703e. I am going to the dealership to make sure I have the latest command version on my E-500 (unless there's a way to tell myself - does anyone know?).
Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
I am still a little confuse with this project:

Can someone confirm this "puck" will work with any bluetooth phone with basic function such as dial and receive phone call?

I know the phone book and some option(s) might not be working as it should but as least I want to know if it will work as handsfree?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
ilm

I tried my friends cell phone - which is on the cingular network. I do not remeber the model number - but it was NOT on the approved list. I was able to pair the phone to the Bluetooth adapter - but the command center would not show that a phone was installed.

I guess there are bluetooth phone that will not work with the system. I will see if I can find other phones to try.

More to follow (soon I hope)
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 PM

2004 E500
Thanks again ilm.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 PM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by Snake413
Thanks again ilm.
Me too! Thanks!

Keep us updated on your testing with other phone!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
ilm

no shock here - but the Verizon RAZR V3M works (as it should since it is on the approved list - but I still wanted to test it).

More to follow.....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:21 PM

2003 E500
Puck and Tail Pairing instructiuons

Can someone who has installed the BtPart number B67 87 5855 Puck and tail please post the pairing instructions.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 PM

2004 E500
Went to the dealer today and they plugged the "puck with tail" in my car (04 E500). I was able to pair, but screen in car stated no phone and I had no functionality. I need to go back to the dealer with the steps that ilm took and see if that works or if my issue really is that I have a Sprint Razor.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:07 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Piranajoe
Can someone who has installed the BtPart number B67 87 5855 Puck and tail please post the pairing instructions.
Thanks
Simply plug in the device and use the menu on your phone to search for Blue Tooth devices. Mine appeared and MB Device (or something close to that).
Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
ilm

Snake413: I had friend who also purchased the 'puck with tail'. His system paired the phone - but the command unit did not show a phone was installed (the same issue I had). He took it to his dealer and they turned on the phone in Teleaid options and then everything worked.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by ilm
Snake413: I had friend who also purchased the 'puck with tail'. His system paired the phone - but the command unit did not show a phone was installed (the same issue I had). He took it to his dealer and they turned on the phone in Teleaid options and then everything worked.

GOOD LUCK!
I think that is the key (TeleAid Menu), though I did not have this thread with me earlier. The only other question for me is having Sprint which is not on the approved list. If need be, I'll switch carriers. When I go back to the dealer, I will bring this thread and ask them to try again.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM

Bluetooth "puck" for 2003 E500.

I went to my dealer and gave them the B67875855 part number, which BTW lists my phone as "compatible/approved phone" ( BB pearl 8100). They couldn't ifnd that pert number but they do have a 67875856, notice one digit difference. Has anyone tried this part? new version superceeded?

It is referd to as the Bluetooth "puck" by my parts department. Addtionally with this one the list says it does NOT work woith Blackberry devices! LOL! then most phones NOT on the list seem to work. So what do think?
Wiil it work with a 2003E 500.

My has the telephone key pad in the dash and the buttons on the steering wheel, but dosen't have V60 cradel etc installed.

thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by blackE500
I went to my dealer and gave them the B67875855 part number, which BTW lists my phone as "compatible/approved phone" ( BB pearl 8100). They couldn't ifnd that pert number but they do have a 67875856, notice one digit difference. Has anyone tried this part? new version superceeded?

It is referd to as the Bluetooth "puck" by my parts department. Addtionally with this one the list says it does NOT work woith Blackberry devices! LOL! then most phones NOT on the list seem to work. So what do think?
Wiil it work with a 2003E 500.

My has the telephone key pad in the dash and the buttons on the steering wheel, but dosen't have V60 cradel etc installed.

thanks
Use 67875856 if you have the cradle. Call another dealer RE: part number B67875855
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 AM

teleaid menu

reading through these posts i am planning to buy this device. my question is are there intructions for getting to the "Teleaid Menu" or is that something you have to go to the dealer for? the issue here is if i should buy it on Ebay for $350 vs. $388+tax from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Snake413
I think that is the key (TeleAid Menu), though I did not have this thread with me earlier. The only other question for me is having Sprint which is not on the approved list. If need be, I'll switch carriers. When I go back to the dealer, I will bring this thread and ask them to try again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....