E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

I received my "puck with tail" this past Monday from MB. It's basically a bluetooth puck with a connector on the end that plugs into the E Class under the false floor in the center console. I had to work 12 hours Monday and Tues... so this AM was my first go at installing it.

Install took about 10 minutes (less actually, but I was having a fit putting the false floor back the way it should be =). Once the floor was out.. the puck connector plugged straight into the receptacle and I was able to pair my phone. Now, I have TMo and have two "unsupported" phones... a Sidekick3 and my older Motorola V330. The phone found the car using the instructions in the booklet but the first attempt gave me an error saying " The BT phonekit/speakerphone you are trying to pair with, is using an OLDER Bluetooth pairing technology and is not successful" or something to that effect. Well, I tried it again.. and got it to work.

However, the COMAND and MFD didn't register any change (both still showed "Please insert Phone." However, if I dialed a call with my phone from inside the car... the radio would mute out, and a phone icon would appear on the bottom stripe of the COMMAND screen.. and I would hear the call come thru the speakers. My microphone worked too.. so I was able to place calls without issue FROM the phone.. though the car didn't know about my phone.

I then completed the install with the floor and console and then needed to get some items from the house to run an errand. When I returned to the car and started her up... the COMMAND suddenly showed a new screen with a "123" on one of the softkeys, and a Phonebook button, and a LAST# button if I remember correctly. I decided to see if my phnebook would download and clicked the Phonebook option. It proceeded to "Download Phonebook" in progress... but again I had forgotten something and had to run back into the house. I never got to that screen again since then.

I ran my errands and my phone was able to place calls no problem.. still though the "Please insert Phone" screen on the MFD and COMMAND. I then stopped by my dealer and spoke with my salesman buddy and we went to the shop "guru." We tried to hook up the phone setup in the MOST configuration.. but he said it was ALREADY setup in my car ( I do NOT have any of the phone kit parts.. just this bluetooth puck w/tail). He then proceeded to run diagnostics and other stuff with the STAR computer... and I'm still at the same point I was before. I also tried to use my Motorola V330 when I got home.. and was able to pair it.. but no other improvements.

I was able to hve my wife call me in the car... and regardless of whether I'm on the phone COMMAND screen or CD or whichever... I get a "popup" message saying "Phone call" with the phone # (the V330 actually showed HOME and the #) and a "accept" or "reject" which I could use the SEND or END buttons on COMMAND or the arrow keys plus OK. The steering wheel buttons do NOT work.

I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere we missed at the dealer. I have read about some of you using the V60 cradle with the BMW puck and doing some stuff and getting it working. I wonder if that would work? Anyways, for now I have to say it's nice to have bluetooth in the car.. and be able to answer the phone without digging my bulky *** Sidekick out of my case to see who and answer the phone (plus it sucks to hold while driving =), though it rocks for everything else. Downside is I need to remove the phone to dial FROM the phone (contact list or dial a # manually) but then I can put it away.. and talk from the car. This could be a setting.. OR because it's not a "supported" phone I suppose... i dunno.... i'd love to try a RAZR though... seeing as those are "supported."

Anyways, I'm told retail on this unit from the dealers will be in the neighborhood of $388 and should be available very soon. This is probably the ticket to get if you have an 03 or 04 E class.. and I think an 04 S class. All you need is this unit... plugs straight in and no other cradle or hardware is required. Should be posted soon I would imagine on the aws website.

I will post any changes or discoveries in the meanwhile when/if they happen. Though now I'm thinking of getting a RAZR =)

Peace
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM

2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
Im guessing you probably need to have it version coded.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM

2003 E500
What exactly is "version coding?" Is that for v60 phones.. or for the car itself?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM

2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
Its for the car itself. see this recent thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=184452&page=3
Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by NitroShredder
This is probably the ticket to get if you have an 03 or 04 E class..
Not if it's not working, like in your case. The cradle/BT puck combo is not much more expensive and has so far worked for everyone ultimately.

It seems like your tech already verified the necessary MOST system configuration (version coding). It might be the actual puck that's the problem, as well as your unsupported phone.

You should try to install a cradle and puck temporarily to troubleshoot. Usually, your dealer has one on hand for diagnostics.

How about a part number for this BT puck? How were you able to get one if it's not yet released?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM

2003 E500
Part # is B67875855. I will try to find someone with a razor to test it to make sure its working.... and not defective. Also, I will set my Command back to US mode as its currently in EU mode for DVD playback... in case that may have something to do with it. Now the first time I started the car after instll I got the telephone screen working..... but not since.

Regarding the version coding, since the puck w/tail has no cradle how would I 'version code' it. Or is it just settings in the star computer??

Seems quite a few of you have unsupported phones and gotten it to work with the bt puck and cradle....maybe I'm missing something.

Regarding how I got it? I happened to speak to the right person at the right time and offered to test a preview unit to test my phones for mbusa. Simple as that.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by hecdog
Not if it's not working, like in your case. The cradle/BT puck combo is not much more expensive and has so far worked for everyone ultimately.

It seems like your tech already verified the necessary MOST system configuration (version coding). It might be the actual puck that's the problem, as well as your unsupported phone.

You should try to install a cradle and puck temporarily to troubleshoot. Usually, your dealer has one on hand for diagnostics.

How about a part number for this BT puck? How were you able to get one if it's not yet released?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 AM

GL350
Nitto , Did you install any kind of compensator?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:51 AM

2003 E500
No sorry. No compensator. Its a puck that plugs straight into the connector in the car (I.e. Doesn't need a cradle).
Old 05-18-2007, 10:28 AM

2011 E350 4 Matic,1994 C220,1965 Mustang, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600
As of last check, there are 795 across the country in various PDC's.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:36 PM

GL350
I would contact the manufacturer of the PUCK.It offers integration but might not be a full integration.(just mute and monitoring)
The guys with the v60 kit(including me) needed a compensator installed among other things and still needed syncing through the STAR.
MBdoctor might be the guy to answer your question though.
I'll keep an eye out for the outcome
Old 05-19-2007, 12:44 PM

2003 E500
Hey guys, I have a question for those of you with the v60/cradle-puck setup. How do I go about 'starting' over and wiping the memory of the bluetooth pairings clean so I can over. It will pair 2 devices, but if I do a third device it wipes out the first/oldest one in memory. Anyway I can just wipe it clean to start over (will unplugging it do it... or is it stored in the car memory somehow?).

For that matter, can I erase the 'phonebook' memory?? The 2nd time I started the car with the unit, the phone screen came up.... and I hit phonebook and it proceeded to download the phonebook (though my phone doesn't support it). I'm afraid trying MAY have corrupted something... maybe preventing me from getting that screen again. I don't know.

Thanks.... still working on finding a razr to test.....

Last edited by NitroShredder; 05-19-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 PM

2003 E500
Found a RAZR and was able to test it.. and paired fine.. but still get the Please Insert Phone deal... so off to the dealer tomorrow for "version coding." Though, since the puck plugs straight into the CP unit... will version coding work? There's no cradle or v60 to speak of in this setup.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 AM

2003 E500
Update: Went to dealer today and again we hooked up the Star to the E. Went thru several menus and settings in different parts (AGW, CGW, etc). We changed a bunch of settings here and there. . We even did a AGW software update.... no seeming progress. Then under the TeleAID section we noticed the CTEL had the HCS active.. yet the phone was "Not Fitted."

We changed it to FITTED.. and seemingly didn't work. I had an appointment to run to... and on my way home from the appt... I noticed on the MFD and COMAND screens the msg "Activating phone..please wait" then I was greeted with the TEL screen. My steering wheel buttons worked, and I received a clock in the MFD while I was on a call with the # and the time of the call. My phonebook didn't download but that's the phone not the car. It still gives me on occassion a "Please wait" message after the activating phone.... and the Please wait doesn't go away.... but I'm guessing it's due to the "noncompatible phone." But now seems like I'm in the clear. Oh, and the speakers and mic work fine.

I have noticed though, that I must have the phone on without the keyguard on... without it on it works fine. If the keyguard is on, then the phone gets locked up and I can't get the phone off the screen saver.. and I get the "Please Wait" on COMAND for a long time. Solution: Since the phonebook doesn't download anyways (and it's a big phone), I remove the phone from the holster and turn off the keyguard as I approach the car... this way she works fine.. AND if an incoming call comes in a look at the phone will tell me WHO is calling (where as the COMAND will only show the # in case it isn't familar).

Last edited by NitroShredder; 05-23-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:03 AM

Will this work on my car?

I have an 05 E320 CDI. Will this work or will I need the full kit?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
dont quite understand... Do I need the entire phone cradle, or can i just get this device?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 AM

2003 E500
No, only 03 and 04 E's and 04 S's will work with this puck. Otherwise you will need the whole phone setup./wiring done first.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by NitroShredder
No, only 03 and 04 E's and 04 S's will work with this puck. Otherwise you will need the whole phone setup./wiring done first.
Holy crap! tThats the worst thing i have heard all week.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 PM

I went to the dealer today and gave them the part number that Nitro posted and they said it needs to be special ordered. They are $388. I'm saving some money so i could buy one.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM
ilm

2004 E320 / 2007 SL550 / 2008 GL450
NitroShredder - can you post a picture of the connection?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 PM
ilm

Never mind the picture. :-)

I went to my local MB dealer and they had it in stock. I took it home and had it installed in about 5 minutes. I had no problem linking my e815 phone (which is one of the 'approved' phone) to the 'puck". Unfortunately that is as far as I could get. My Command unit says 'phone not installed' and nothing works. I will call my dealer to see if they can help, but the unit might be going back. I will post an update later in the week.

Last edited by ilm; 07-07-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by ilm
Never mind the picture. :-)

I went to my local MB dealer and they had it in stock. I took it home and had it installed in about 5 minutes. I had no problem linking my e815 phone (which is one of the 'approved' phone) to the 'puck". Unfortunately that is as far as I could get. My Command unit says 'phone not installed' and nothing works. I will call my dealer to see if they can help, but the unit might be going back. I will post an update later in the week.

Hi ilm,

Can you post the part number of the puck?

I am currently contemplating to add bluetooth to my 03 E500 and have read several threads on adding bluetooth with a cradle, is this the same thing they were talking about?

Do you mind to share some tips / info what what you did?

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
ilm

Part number B67 87 5855. Unit lists for about $380.00. I can put you in touch with my dealer if you have interest. Send me a PM.

This puck is for an 03-04 E class without the MB telephone system installed. It takes advantage of the teleaid system that is currently installed in the car. No cradle is required - just an approved cell phone.

I still need to work out why the phone is not being accepted by the command unit - I am hoping my dealer can resolve this issue when my car goes in for services on friday. I will post more.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 PM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by ilm
Part number B67 87 5855. Unit lists for about $380.00. I can put you in touch with my dealer if you have interest. Send me a PM.

This puck is for an 03-04 E class without the MB telephone system installed. It takes advantage of the teleaid system that is currently installed in the car. No cradle is required - just an approved cell phone.

I still need to work out why the phone is not being accepted by the command unit - I am hoping my dealer can resolve this issue when my car goes in for services on friday. I will post more.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, my car does not has the phone installed but besides the puck do I have to get the V60 cradle like mentioned on the first post of this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/184452-sick-waiting-argos-can-someone-confirm-these-part-s-oem-bluetooth.html

Q-6-82-0826 E (Phone installation completer kit)
Includes:
Q-6-82-0829 - Linear Compensator
Q-6-82-0832 - Cable, Linear compensator
Q-6-82-0463 - Standard install hardware kit

Q-6-82-0828 (V60 cradle short cord kit)
Includes:
Q-6-82-0833 - V60 cradle with short cord coil
Q-6-82-0768 - V60 holder
Q-6-82-0811 - Battery insert

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 AM
ilm

Nope - none of that is required. Just the "approved" cell phone with Bluetooth. I also think the command unit needs to be updated to the latest software - along with version coding (which I will find out more about on Friday).
Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 AM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by ilm
Nope - none of that is required. Just the "approved" cell phone with Bluetooth. I also think the command unit needs to be updated to the latest software - along with version coding (which I will find out more about on Friday).
Thanks again for your prompt reply!

That sounds very interesting but do you where I can find info on "approved" cell phone list?

The reason is I am using a Nokia E61 smartphone / pda and really it for business use.

Also, what if my phone is not compatible with the puck you are using any other way to overcome this?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....