Question about Difference in E 350 and E 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 550
Question about Difference in E 350 and E 550

Obviously, the name E 550 sounds a lot better and is more prestigious than an E 350 and here is my situation so I would appreciate any replies and feedback.

If both cars were fully loaded (with sports package and the p1 and p2 package) then are the cars identical other than the engine and the tag? I am 23 years old, and I can afford the lease payments for the E 550 because I found a deal for about 800/month but then maybe I can get an E 350 for around 550 a month i'm guessing because of the lease specials that are out on these cars right now. I live in Southern California and obviously I care about having the best of things and an image bla bla...but then I was thinking...I don't really drive my cars fast and I will not really be using the E 550 engine and I will only be getting the E 550 for the name...unless there are any sort of differences with the cars? I am in a sticky situation and one second I say E 550 is worth the difference because of the name but in another second I say, i'm still 23 and it's still a damn nice car. I know the MSRP for E 550 is like 63,000 or so I think the E 350 is like 49,000 or so? I appreciate the help in my dilemma because I am going to be getting one of these cars in the next few days...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM

I think can think of a couple differences other than the motor. In the US, AFAIK, you cannot get the E350 with the Airmatic suspension. That suspension is standard in the E550.

Also, may be a minor thing, but the E550 also has the 4-zone climate control.

Also, I'm not sure how much this matters to you, but you can expect to spend more on fuel every month on the 550 versus the 350. And you should probably check with your insurance company, there may be a small difference in insurance cost as well (probably small, though.)

Personally, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the "image" thing. At the end of the day, they are both E-class Mercedes. Very fine luxury cars.

And a bit of personal advice, I think you'll eventually learn that putting a lot of money into something, just to make some sort of impression on others, means you have less money to save or spend on other things for yourself. And at your age, I'm sure you have plenty of other fun things to do with your money.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
There are those who might say a 6 cyl Mustang is the same as an 8 cyl Mustang GT... Same car, just about the same trim, they look almost alike. They are really not the same driving experience though. There is a certain fun factor in the one with more horsepower, improved suspension, etc. There's also the "Mine is better than yours" factor. $300 is a lot of money each and every month, particularly for a vehicle you will not own, so unless you need to know you are driving a 550 for some reason, or you need to know all that muscle is just under your right foot, you have to figure out why are you considering the 550 for that much more money per month when you intimate that the 350 is good enough. The extra cash left in your pocket is probably better spent elsewhere to get you what you really want.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Originally Posted by eddietr
I think can think of a couple differences other than the motor. In the US, AFAIK, you cannot get the E350 with the Airmatic suspension. That suspension is standard in the E550.

Also, may be a minor thing, but the E550 also has the 4-zone climate control.

Also, I'm not sure how much this matters to you, but you can expect to spend more on fuel every month on the 550 versus the 350. And you should probably check with your insurance company, there may be a small difference in insurance cost as well (probably small, though.)

Personally, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the "image" thing. At the end of the day, they are both E-class Mercedes. Very fine luxury cars.

And a bit of personal advice, I think you'll eventually learn that putting a lot of money into something, just to make some sort of impression on others, means you have less money to save or spend on other things for yourself. And at your age, I'm sure you have plenty of other fun things to do with your money.
I agree.. go with the 350..

Less money on gas, you even said yourself you won't be using the extra power.

Seems like an easy choice to me. What color do you want?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
There are a lot more differences than that. I suggest you go to mbusa.com and do the comparisson or look through the broshure you hopefully picked up at the dealership.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 CLS 550
For me, I don't race cars so speed wise I really won't be using the E 550 engine. The only reason I would get the E 550 would be for the engine and it is only $250-$300 more for the car but at the end of the day the only different is the 4-zone climate control and the Airmatic suspension. I read about it, but what exactly is the Airmatic suspension? I honestly can afford the E 550 but I might be moving to New York soon too...so i'm thinking the E 350 is good enough for me for 3 years. Afterall, I am still 23 years old but I guess I was thinking of a car for being a "***** magnet". The E 350 is still a Benz and a nice car so for attracting ho's...i'm sure the E 350 is good enough. It's still basically a $50,000 car.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
If you want a chick magnet get a BMW X5 or ML350..
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
. . . The E 350 is still a Benz and a nice car so for attracting ho's...i'm sure the E 350 is good enough.
If all you want to do is attract "ho's", all you need is a pocket full of cash. They won't know (or care) how many cylinders are under the hood of the car you are driving.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by cyclerider
If all you want to do is attract "ho's", all you need is a pocket full of cash. They won't know (or care) how many cylinders are under the hood of the car you are driving.
I will decide this weekend...but I think E 350 makes more sense...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:45 PM

2006 E350
..... The E 350 is still a Benz and a nice car so for attracting ho's...i'm sure the E 350 is good enough..
...if you want some ho's,,, i can give you my ex-girlfriends number !!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by mestizlove
...if you want some ho's,,, i can give you my ex-girlfriends number !!
I just got the hip hop mentality...u know what i'm sayin bro but after thinkin E 350 makes more sense I will debadge it to make it look clean and it's still a $50,000 car so i'm all good I just wasn't thinking smart and this makes sense.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:01 AM

For me, I don't race cars so speed wise I really won't be using the E 550 engine. The only reason I would get the E 550 would be for the engine and it is only $250-$300 more for the car but at the end of the day the only different is the 4-zone climate control and the Airmatic suspension. I read about it, but what exactly is the Airmatic suspension? I honestly can afford the E 550 but I might be moving to New York soon too...so i'm thinking the E 350 is good enough for me for 3 years. Afterall, I am still 23 years old but I guess I was thinking of a car for being a "***** magnet". The E 350 is still a Benz and a nice car so for attracting ho's...i'm sure the E 350 is good enough. It's still basically a $50,000 car.
If I were in the market for an E-class right now, I'd probably look hard at the CDI engine, actually. Have you considered that? The nice thing about the 550 engine is the low end torque. That's more useful, IMO, than the top end HP in a street luxury car. But the CDI has plenty of that low end torque without the high consumption and cost of the 550 engine. Just a thought.

As for the airmatic DC, as someone else suggested you probably want to read up on mbusa.com or a brochure before you drop this kind of cash. In my experience with cars I've driven, I prefer the Airmatic DC over the standard suspension in the E-class. In fact the only reason I might choose the 550 over the CDI would be the suspension.

But, if this is just something to impress girls with, then maybe performance and handling really aren't that important. But in that case, I would think there are lots of other cars (and particularly SUVs) in this price class that you could impress girls with. I guess it all depends on what kind of girls you're trying to attract.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
550 is quite unique car. Previous 430 was more spreaded. Anyway, 350 looks like more woman's car. So certainly 550 can be more suitable for you.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Being in the market for a few months myself has resulted in my gathering a lot of information on the E class.

Like many have said before, Airmatic and 4-Zone Clima are only for 8-cyl models in the US (standard features), you cannot add them as options on 6 cyl E-classes.
Also, 8 cyl E-classes have full leather interior standard, while that is an added cost option on 6-cyl models.
8-cyl makes Metallic paint availble at no extra charge (extra on 6-cyl)
8-cyl have heated front seats standard, with seat ventilation optional, while 6-cyl have neither standard and only the option to order heating.
The only differentiating factor for the Bluetec (6-cyl) is that so far there is no optional sport package, but all the aforementioned conditions apply.

The E350 with every option except Designo is 62k msrp
E320 Bluetec every option except Designo (I ordered Espresso on mine) is 63k
E550 every option except designo is 70k.

I drive at high speed, so I appreciate power. Even so, I found the Bluetec to be the most appealing option. I would highly reccomend you test one, the power will sell you, and the fuel economy will make you love it more with every passing mile.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dema
550 is quite unique car. Previous 430 was more spreaded. Anyway, 350 looks like more woman's car. So certainly 550 can be more suitable for you.
There is no visual difference between a E350 and E550, unless you are looking for the rear climate controls or front seat ventilation switches, the latter only applying with that particular option.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
How can it "look" like a woman's car? They're identical looking.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:47 PM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
To sum it up:

If the only difference you care about is the E350 vs the E550 badge, why
don’t you just get an E350 and put an E550 badge on it? We won’t tell.

And, that should put you in “ho heaven” on the cheap!

jimm

==========

On Order: 08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps
Old 05-26-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
WTF...a 350 looks like a woman's car? Dude, they both have the same chassis/body!

To the OP....if you don't really need the extra HP, just get the 350 and debadge it. You'll save on gas, easier on maintenance, and still rockin that balla image! If your main concern is picking up on some breezys....most girls wouldn't know the difference between a v6 and a v8. Just tell them you roll in a Benz....then hit it and quit it!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
Originally Posted by W211 Ryda
WTF...a 350 looks like a woman's car? Dude, they both have the same chassis/body!

To the OP....if you don't really need the extra HP, just get the 350 and debadge it. You'll save on gas, easier on maintenance, and still rockin that balla image! If your main concern is picking up on some breezys....most girls wouldn't know the difference between a v6 and a v8. Just tell them you roll in a Benz....then hit it and quit it!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 PM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
XXS you really sound like “a man on a mission!”

May I suggest the solution to your problem is to buy a Harley Davidson.

Then you‘ll get the daughters AND the mammas!

jimm

==========

On Order: 08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
advantage: Bluetec !

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I drive at high speed, so I appreciate power. Even so, I found the Bluetec to be the most appealing option. I would highly reccomend you test one, the power will sell you, and the fuel economy will make you love it more with every passing mile.
I have to agree 100% with your comments.

My current car is a 335i twin turbo that is very quick, with gobs of torque. When I took a Bluetec out on to the highway and put my foot down, I was shocked by the enormous torque and passing power. It feels as fast or faster than the 335i !! The Bluetec is like a slingshot; it just rockets ahead; 400 lb.ft of torque is so much fun. Couple this with the huge savings in fuel costs and the decision on whether to go with the diesel v's gas becomes a no brainer.

The only downside for the Bluetec is the lack of a sport package. But, upgrading wheels and tires is easy. Compared to the E350 Sport, I prefer the Bluetec's black faced gauges, burl walnut trim, neutral glass tint and simpler fog light trims. Nor do I care for the 18" 10 twin-spoke wheels that come with the E350 Sport; they will be a real chore to clean.

If one is still undecided on diesel v's gas, consider the Bluetec's resale which will be far better than its gas fed sibling.

Last edited by DerekACS; 05-27-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Your Joking right?.

I don't think a car ever got me laid.... So stop with the So Cal image crap really.... At 23 - be happy to afford anything nicer than a Corolla... If image is all that important - buy an "S" class. The E class is nice - I have a E350 sport and love it - but the E class is a dime a dozen here in L.A. Now the S500 - that's a car.... Like the others said you could always debage the thing and call it what ever you want.