E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Clunking / Knocking when turning onto driveway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2007 | 11:28 PM

06 R500 / 03 CLK430 Conv
Clunking / Knocking when turning onto driveway

I've noticed a clunking noise as I turn off the street into my driveway. It's just one 'clunk'. I can feel it through the steering slightly.

I did a bit of driving around and it seems to happen on both sides to the same extent. To reproduce, the best way seems to be to turn off a street into a sideroad (or forecourt) where there's a bit of a bump during the turn, as the car goes up or down the bump there'll be this clunk from the front wheel on the inside of the turn.

Any ideas on what this could be or what further tests I could do to narrow it down?

Car drives great and in a straight line.

My warranty is up in less than 200 miles, so I plan to take it to the dealer, but I'd like to go armed with a better idea of what is wrong, and a concrete way of reproducing.

I did some searching and noticed some posts thinking this might be ball joint related.

My car was just in for the Service Campaign 2006040004 MAY06
Clean sleeves on front axle carrier / new bolts & washers. I haven't had the car that long so I'm not really sure if the noise was there before that work was done.

Last edited by y2b4sure; 05-27-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2007 | 01:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by y2b4sure
I've noticed a clunking noise as I turn off the street into my driveway. It's just one 'clunk'. I can feel it through the steering slightly.

I did a bit of driving around and it seems to happen on both sides to the same extent. To reproduce, the best way seems to be to turn off a street into a sideroad (or forecourt) where there's a bit of a bump during the turn, as the car goes up or down the bump there'll be this clunk from the front wheel on the inside of the turn.

Any ideas on what this could be or what further tests I could do to narrow it down?

My warranty is up in less than 200 miles, so I plan to take it to the dealer, but I'd like to go armed with a better idea of what is wrong, and a concrete way of reproducing.

I did some searching and noticed some posts thinking this might be ball joint related.

Clean sleeves on front axle carrier / new bolts & washers. I haven't had the car that long so I'm not really sure if the noise was there before that work was done.
You can mention:

DTB P-B-33.15/22 FEB07 Squeaking/thumping noise from front axle; Upper ball joint sealing boot on upper control arm may be damaged and will be replaced.
DTB P-B-46.40/53 JAN07 Cracking/creaking noises from steering rack area; Washers and nuts between steering mounting plate and sub-frame will be replaced.

In case the vehicle also pulls slightly to one side when braking at low speeds that may be accompanied by small movement of the steering wheel mention:

DTB: P-B-33.10/21 FEB07 Vehicle pulls to one side; the lower ball joint on the side to which the vehicle pulls will be replaced.
Old 05-28-2007 | 02:02 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by y2b4sure

I would say if it happens right when you hit the driveway with a slight elevation or bump,it is most likely the lower ball joint
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:56 AM

can we start a class action lawsuti for this problem? It's been killing me ever since i had my car a few years ago
Old 10-26-2009 | 08:46 PM

'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
Does lower ball joint replacement require alignment?