E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E350 Elegance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E350 Elegance Iridium Silver, Black leather
Question E350 Elegance

I am deciding (within a couple of days) whether to trade my Honda Accord V6 Luxury in on a MB E350 Elegance (that's one of 3 versions available in Australia, the other E350's are the Classic and the Avanteguard).

The Honda has been a great car, only done 36,000 Klms (about 22,000 miles) and is still like new but I have had it for 3 years and I guess boredom is setting in - I usually change-over after 3 years.

My problem is this - the Honda is a great car, Honda makes great cars but the MB has the name and reputation, I have always fancied owning one but always thought they were too expensive etc. Should I accept the lousy trade-in deal and pay nearly three times as much for the icon car? Are they all they are cracked up to be?

I am not comparing oranges and apples - the E350 has a number of features that the Accord does not have, but they come at great cost - including initial price, service costs and insurance. Here in Oz we also have a luxury tax and GST which makes the Mercedes a lot more expensive then in the US.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The associations were so close that you might as well conclude that Mercedes invented the automobile and invented the internal combustion engine.

When did Honda come along?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
throw another shrimp & steak on the barbe mate!

Originally Posted by bejay107
I am deciding (within a couple of days) whether to trade my Honda Accord V6 Luxury in on a MB E350 Elegance (that's one of 3 versions available in Australia, the other E350's are the Classic and the Avanteguard).

The Honda has been a great car, only done 36,000 Klms (about 22,000 miles) and is still like new but I have had it for 3 years and I guess boredom is setting in - I usually change-over after 3 years.

My problem is this - the Honda is a great car, Honda makes great cars but the MB has the name and reputation, I have always fancied owning one but always thought they were too expensive etc. Should I accept the lousy trade-in deal and pay nearly three times as much for the icon car? Are they all they are cracked up to be?

I am not comparing oranges and apples - the E350 has a number of features that the Accord does not have, but they come at great cost - including initial price, service costs and insurance. Here in Oz we also have a luxury tax and GST which makes the Mercedes a lot more expensive then in the US.
I visited my wife's people in Brisbane last year so I know what you are talking about. Aussies suffered from the same thing as Canucks, namely marginally higher gas prices and GST. Americans have GST too but they call it State or Federal taxes.

If you have never owned a Benzo before buy one and enjoy it. If reliability is paramount then buy another Honda Accord. They are putting out a new model next year with cylinder de-activation and more power (260 horses I think). Dollar for dollar there is simply no comparison.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed

The hot weather is unparalleled in Aussie Land. I was so impressed with the large numbers of VW Beetles (the original) and Peugeot 504s there in great condition. No salt. No moisture. No rust.

Just make sure the Indonesians do not take over.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My Son has an '07 Honda Accord Coupe. It is a thoroughly enjoyable car, and absolutely trouble free, but simply not in the same category as an E Class, other than they are both cars.

Driving a Benz is physically, a whole different experience... the car is overbuilt, and therefore rock solid in feel, handling, and stance. (First they design it then see how much they have to charge for it, versus the Honda which has a sales price pre-determined for it, and then they see how much they can give you in the car at that price.)

Driving a Benz is more costly, both in "getting into" on, and if you keep it after warranty, repairs. (Even an oil change is 3 times the price... but you only do one a year). It is a "Luxury Car" and costs like one. ...and everyone looks to see who is driving in that Benz... even if they don't admit they do. There is that "air of importance" that the car supplies. To those who say they drive a Benz because it is so safe, I say... so's a Volvo... but they're not driving one. So it must be something else too.

You can have 2 Accords here, for the price of an E. You will park the car far away from everyone else to avoid dings and dents, because they are expensive to repair, and then the car has a "diminished value" because it was repaired... something that doesn't occur with other cars, because "repaired" means "fixed"... not "damaged, then covered over, and never as good again". MB IS BEHIND the Japanese in the "consumer electronics" in the E class, no doubt about it. Everything works (most every time) perfectly, but inexplicably, not every time. Just enough of the time for you to notice & roll your eyes. (Like Windows M.E.)

It all boils down to... Can you afford it? Is it worth it to you? Is it a waste of money? Will you try it once, and then drive a more usefull/affordable car in the future? It IS a needless expense, in that there are other, less expensive cars that have "all the bells and whistles"... but they don't have all the untangibles that the Benz does... Does it make sense to you to pay for "untangibles"? ...or would you rather have 2 new cars in a row for less money? (Thats one "free one") Its like buying an Engagement ring... Does a Guy HAVE to buy it at Tiffany's, or is the local Fancy Lady Jewelery store (Not department store) good enough? The result is the same. At first.

I love my '07 E, and review all of the above myself. I purchased, not leased. after looking at Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus, and wonder.... who is smarter?

...I know. I didn't help.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:26 AM

Smile Mercedes E350 - Iridium Silver

Well - I guess its a little late to discuss this issue anymore, I have bought my new E350, traded my perfect and respected Honda Accord V6 Luxury and am (I think) very happy. I have only done 40 Klms (25 miles) in it and still cannot work most things re the Comand System but I am like a kid in a lolly shop (candy store) exploring things.

Thank you Barry45RPM for your very insightful wisdom regarding the merits and sensibilities of making this decision. I have to admit that I had already proceeded with the decision before reading your sage words, but they are the same reasoning I used in the end, and I am glad that an experienced owner could provide such support for my decision. I particularly like your terms:
"the car is overbuilt, and therefore rock solid in feel, handling, and stance. (First they design it then see how much they have to charge for it, versus the Honda which has a sales price pre-determined for it, and then they see how much they can give you in the car at that price.) "

My first comment to my wife Cindy was that the car felt like a brick - not in the negative sense but that it was rock solid, no outside noise or bumps - it just moved like a grader on the road, leveling the rough spots and going wherever it was steered. I will report my experiences with further driving of this vehicle but I think they are mostly going to be positive.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
My car has been flawless, & thoroughly enjoyable. Once you drive one, you understand...
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
My car has been flawless, & thoroughly enjoyable. Once you drive one, you understand...
Hey Barry

I have done about 950 Klms, all I worry about is some idiot running into me or some vermin damaging the car in a parking area. I will probably do about 10,000 klms per year (6,000 miles). I am not sure if this is the best decision I could have made for a new car - but I love the MB motif and it is an icon car. My friend bought a BMW - 325i or something, really just a joke car (sporty) - compared to the E350, but it is just a tight fit small car. Anyway - E350 rules (or any E class).

Yours in paupership

Bill
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Hey Barry

I have done about 950 Klms, all I worry about is some idiot running into me or some vermin damaging the car in a parking area. I will probably do about 10,000 klms per year (6,000 miles). I am not sure if this is the best decision I could have made for a new car - but I love the MB motif and it is an icon car. My friend bought a BMW - 325i or something, really just a joke car (sporty) - compared to the E350, but it is just a tight fit small car. Anyway - E350 rules (or any E class).

Yours in paupership

Bill
That's exactly how I feel. ...an idiot in a parking lot, or an idiot leaving a shopping cart where it will absolutely roll into someone's car. I park far far away from stores & walk, then come out & find some 10 year old bomb parked next to me...

Its tough to be so in love with just a car...

Enjoy your ride! I'm a very satisfied owner.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 AM

E500
I have a Honda Accord as well as my ML and E500. The Honda has been very reliable (as the MB's so far). That being said after owning the MB's, the Honda is merely a "backup" car. Fortunately, it has seen virtually no miles in the last year or so.

So if you can, pony up the dough, see and feel the difference. I much enjoy going from A to B every day in the E500 vs. saving a few bucks for a Honda.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 AM

I am glad I stumbled onto this most useful thread. I am in exactly the same position as bejay 107 was. That is, I own a 2003 Honda Accord Luxury, and I am considering buying an E350. Have test driven a few E350's. They are a beauty to drive (and to see). My main concern is the maintenance cost. Previously owned a used 1995 E320 for 2 years. Fantastic car, but costly to maintain.

So can anyone enlighten me re 1) Is the Merc extended warranty worthwhile? 2) What does it cost and what do you get for it? 3) How much to budget for maintenance and repairs per year for a 2-3 year E350?

Would be most grateful for your reply.

Regards,