Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
Any Right Armrest Suggestions?

I’m REALLY going to miss a right armrest. Others have
written about it. Does anyone have any “updated”
suggestions without totally losing the functional storage?

Why wouldn’t they put a “swing open” top on it .. that
could be padded? I admit, the sliding door “looks” nice.
But, not comfortable.

And, I've forgotten .. aren’t the cup holders in there? I
have to have them.

So .. have any aftermarket companies made anything to
“comfort up” this armrest?”

jimm

==========

On Order: 08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Why not just have the '04 console installed. Plenty of storage, & a semi functional cup holder located over some delicate electronics.

I've had both styles ('04 & '07). You should drive with the armrest for a while instead of worrying about its lack of comfort, and where to find a replacement. Its comfortable... not as spacious inside, but good cupholders, which are removavle for deep storage. Its a good ergonomic console, that does pretty much what its supposed to. I keep the cover closed except when there's a cup in the holder.

There's really nothing wrong with the design & execution of the 07> E Class.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-14-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
I personally find the '07 armrest uncomfortable. My elbow always falls between the lid and the 'padded' portion. It is not as bad (read- still not good, but better) when you can close the lid, but if you have a coffee cup in the console forget it. The problem is any pad would have to be moved before you could open the console...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
I Replaced the roll type center console with the Early Flip open style...
As The EURO cars Only get the Flip open style...Unlike The US cars with the Roll type center console...The Roll Type console is NOT comfortable and Cupholders should NOT be Near the shifter...Spill a drink and call a Tow Truck
Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Is it a direct replacement on '07 cars? What happens to the cupholders? Do you have a part number or a place that has it online. Sorry for all the questions, but this sounds like something I might be interested in...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by emilner
Is it a direct replacement on '07 cars? What happens to the cupholders? Do you have a part number or a place that has it online. Sorry for all the questions, but this sounds like something I might be interested in...

Its a Direct Replacement..

As For Part Numbers it has Several Not Just one for the console..Try MBENZNL.com

Another way would be to locate a USED Complete Console from a Early W211
Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
In the old console, the top of the armrest portion does not slope downward at all, so that there is a drop off or "cliff" to the shifter plate level. Behind the shifter plate, but in front of the armrest box portion, is a little trinket box with a push to open wooden cover. Inside that trinket box is a mechanical marvel dual cup holder.

You press a button, and it elevates, and at the same time a 2nd "cup holder" articulates out of it for the passenger, so that you have a deep round hole which holds a 12 oz can of Coke perfectly for the driver, and suspended in air to the right of that above the seat thigh, an inch and a half deep ring into which you can set another can or styrofoam cup.

Neither holds a 16/20 oz Pet Soda/Juice/Water bottle, and you wouldn't want a tall cup in the passenger cup holder since the depth and the grip of the bottom ring will not hold anything upright in a turn while in motion because it does not come up high enough on the cup. The driver's side will hold certain narrow diameter cups really well because it is very deep, but is ideally suited to a 12 Oz can, with little extra diameter. There are delicate electronics located below in the console & under the shifter, which if wet, will cost a few grand to replace.

In Europe, they drive... here we drink, eat & talk on the phone, so the cupholders were a particularly puny afterthought for us. I believe in Europe there is no cupholder insert included in that trinket box as standard.

The new console's cupholders are good, but because of the slope of the armrest portion, there is virtually no storage inside. The old ones had butterfly doors on to for the telephone in a shallow storage compartment, and another realease button which lifted everything up to reveal a deep, air conditioned, storage box.

At any rate, if you go to the used car area of the dealer & sit in an '04, you will see the difference.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-14-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You're looking for a CENTER armrest, as the right armrest is on the right door.

Big deal, huh?

Have no problem with the roll-top armrest, and haven't seen an earlier one except that it sounds like the W210 version, which isn't as good IMHO.

Any dealer can get you the earlier parts assuming they have a parts person who can use EPC.