My experience with iRotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Thumbs down My experience with iRotors

Ok guys, I think I have to eat a little crow here.

About 3-4 months ago, I swapped out my OEM rotors for a set of slotted/drilled rotors from a company called iRotors. Anyone who has swapped out their rotors has no doubt come across this company. Their product looks great and the price is right, so I pulled the trigger.

They showed up quickly, and looked as great as advertised. They were even stamped "Made in Germany" which made me feel even better about my purchase. I had my local MB dealer pop them on for me along with a set of OEM Pagid pads. I couldn't have been happier. The car stopped quickly, quietly, and smooth. Plus they looked great! I recommended them to anyone that would listen to me on this board and others.

Well, fast forward to 4 thousand miles later. They still look great, brand new even. But man, oh man, did they warp. So badly infact that the entire car shakes when applying the brake. The steering wheel twitches, and god forbid you have an open container in the car. The car was unbearable to drive in traffic. The brakes were so grabby and the car so uncomfortable that I found myself prefering my R-Class to my E. Although I felt no pulsing in the pedal like you normally do when your rotors are warped. No doubt this is because of the 'brake by wire' SBC system. I couldn't believe that they warped so quickly that I had my dealer to an entire brake system inspection. Of course they confirm my suspicion, and tell me that the front two rotors are severely warped and the rears are mildly warped. Not what I wanted to hear after dropping some serious coin on the rotors, pads and install. I contact iRotors for help. They tell me that since I was past my 30 day warranty that they could do nothing for me on these rotors. But, they would be more than happy to sell me another set at a discount. No thanks.

So, I bite the bullet and purchase 4 new OEM Zimmerman rotors for $225.00 and had my dealer put them on for me today. While they don't look as good as the iRotors, I'm glad to announce that my car again stops quickly, smoothly, and quietly.

I must also say that I don't track the car, and drive it like I have some sense....most of the time anyway. I do drive it spiritedly in small doses though. And by no means do I park it, grab my hose and spray ice cold water on my wheels. The car has seen a couple car washes, but so what.

Anyway, I know there is always a lot of brake talk in this forum and I just wanted to let everyone know my personal experience with this company's product. Could it be an isolated case? Sure.

On a side note, I'm looking for something creative to do with my old rotors. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
Wow, sorry to hear that. I think its BS that they would'nt own up to their crappy quality, it would be a big liability problem for them if someone were to get hurt because of their product.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
have you tried contacting iRotors? they are a new company so keeping people happy is prolly a priority on there list of things to do...
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Once again proves that if it's too good to be true it probably is!

I surprise myself how often I get duped into budget priced "OEM quality" stuff that doesn't work, fit, or last. I most recently got a mirror housing for an old GMC Yukon that was "OEM quality" but flexed and rattled like a cool-whip container strapped onto the door of the car!

I guess that they can make cheap crap in Germany, too.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
have you tried contacting iRotors? they are a new company so keeping people happy is prolly a priority on there list of things to do...
That was the very first thing I did when I found out. I was told that since I was outside of my 30 day warranty, that they could do nothing for me accept sell me another set at a greatly reduced price. I passed on that offer.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 06-21-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Was considering irotors but decided against it because cross drilling rotors usually means a weaker rotor unless the holes are fabricated in the rotors and not drilled.
Again thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 E500 Sport, Giant NRS Composite 2, Specialized Roubaix
I've been lured into running drilled rotors on my Vettes and have always had the same result... within 1 year they all warped. Even OEM GM Performance rotors now used on the C6. Dealers claim that it has to do with the torque of the lugs versus anything else stating that tire shops that use the impact gun without a torque wrench were to blame. Getting caught in the viscous circle of trying to prove blame seems to be the best way out of warranty work. Anyway, a 30 day warranty on anything seems too short.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 GLK 250 BT
Good point about over torqued lug bolts. Yea, every time any shop/dealer touches my cars, when I get the car home, I immediately take out my torque wrench and re-torque to proper spec. And 100% guaranteed, that I find either a lugbolt too tight by +20 ft-lbs or too loose! Damn them.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Does the AMG rotors for the W211 fit a non-AMG W211? That would OEM quality and they should not warp.

I am thinking that the same MY W211 AMG and non-AMG should be interchangeable.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

you could purchase the cross drilled rotors found on the E500 sports and AMG packages... my front rotors are both cross drilled from the factory
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
That was the very first thing I did when I found out. I was told that since I was outside of my 30 day warranty, that they could do nothing for me accept sell me another set at a greatly reduced price. I passed on that offer.
make sure to send them a link to your threads and include MBworld being a forum of 30k+