E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Breaks Failed on 2003 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by konigstiger
MBUSA Department Manager Warranty Services: The SBC “Hydraulic Unit” (control module/ pump/pressure reservoir) extended limited warranty applies to all conditions that warrant the replacement of the SBC Hydraulic Unit under the standard warranty terms and conditions.
I don't know if you got the letter or not but my letter specifically says that it only includes the pump for the 10 year warranty and any other part of the unit is exluded by saying "SBC/electro-hydraulic pump within the SBC brake system." It does not say anything about the control module or pressure reservoir. Unless MB USA has a different 10 year extended warranty than Canada.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by rieger
I don't know if you got the letter or not but my letter specifically says that it only includes the pump for the 10 year warranty and any other part of the unit is exluded by saying "SBC/electro-hydraulic pump within the SBC brake system." It does not say anything about the control module or pressure reservoir. Unless MB USA has a different 10 year extended warranty than Canada.
Normally Canada and USA are aligned with warranty/bulletin coverage under North America market. Possibly the wording is different but I bet coverage is the same. Reason I say this is because the control module/pump/pressure reservoir are contained in the SBS Hydraulic "Unit". BTW the info I posted was also distributed to all MBUSA dealerships MAY06.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 PM

I bet you then that MB Canada is just being cheap. Just like your E-class has the 7 speed auto ours still have the 5 speed auto. For sum reason or another we canadians being a small market are being shafted possibly. I will ask my service advisor in my next service. But I hope your correct.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I believe the reason you (in Canada) get 5 speeds instead of 7 speed transmissions is because all of your MB E classes are AWD, and the 7 speed won't physically fit with all the extra AWD stuff... even in US AWDs.

Personally, I think the 5 speed is a smoother feeling transmission.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I believe the reason you (in Canada) get 5 speeds instead of 7 speed transmissions is because all of your MB E classes are AWD, and the 7 speed won't physically fit with all the extra AWD stuff... even in US AWDs.

You live in a very nice part of NA. I was down in Port Jefferson last month for a function and the weather was just perfect. All the bikers were out (repented bankers and stock brokers from the nice machines they were riding).I wish we get some of that global warming everyone is talking about up north in Toronto. Our waterfront is frozen in the winter.

MB definitely favors the USA. They have every reason to be. They have even more reasons to pamper Californians as they buy up so many Benzes. The only other places they sell MBs in large numbers are Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong. In fact I think HK may have had the largest number of Rolls Royces in the world.

MB makes nicer cars than Rolls Royce.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed

The reason for AWD Benzes is simple. The Great White North needs them in the winter.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:07 PM

I think the last year or so MB canada has basically gone to 4matic only but even when we had the rwd version it still came with the 5 spd auto. Haven't driven the 7 speed so can't comment on the smoothness but the 7 speed I assume would help with the fuel economy.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 PM

2003 E320
So, my E320 is back. Some technical points:
- diagnostic scans showed multiple hydraulic pressure faults
- replaced: SBC Brake Pressure Unit (+ software update)
- they performed bleed function test to verify repair
- all repairs/test done under warranty
- brake fluid was in the system. I didn't get a clear explanation where it was sucked out of the reservoir, as E320 has no booster cylinder. Anyway, the reservoir had been empty when I looked.
- brake job done 6 months ago very unlikely could precipitate the incident - they don't disconnect brake lines when they do maintenance like this.

The End. Hopefully!