E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Key not Recognized"... I pay if not dealer can't diagnose??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport, Giant NRS Composite 2, Specialized Roubaix
"Key not Recognized"... I pay if dealer can't diagnose??

Took my car in for service under warranty and mentioned that my second key keeps coming up as not recognized. This happens in many different situations and is not consistent when the message occurs. Points of failure are walking up to the car to unlock. If it does let me unlock the door, then it may not let me start. Even after I use Keyless-Go to start the car it will suddenly not recognize the key.

I just put new batteries in the remote so I know that's not the issue and it only happens with my spare and not my main key. Anyway, the SA stated that they will diagnose the problem but if they can not find out what is wrong that I will be responsible for paying for their time. This seems ridiculous... am I wrong? If they are having trouble diagnosing the issue I should not have to pay for that. Think about all the times you have taken a car in and the dealer was unable to find the problem the first time... did you have to pay for those visits (hope not)? I may just be venting here but this really rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited by fergml; 06-29-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by fergml
Took my car in for service under warranty and mentioned that my second key keeps coming up as not recognized. This happens in many different situations and is not consistent when the message occurs. Points of failure are walking up to the car to unlock. If it does let me unlock the door, then it may not let me start. Even after I use Keyless-Go to start the car it will suddenly not recognize the key.

I just put new batteries in the remote so I know that's not the issue and it only happens with my spare and not my main key. Anyway, the SA stated that they will diagnose the problem but if they can not find out what is wrong that I will be responsible for paying for their time. This seems ridiculous... am I wrong? If they are having trouble diagnosing the issue I should not have to pay for that. Think about all the times you have taken a car in and the dealer was unable to find the problem the first time... did you have to pay for those visits (hope not)? I may just be venting here but this really rubbed me the wrong way.
Associated fault codes should be stored in the respective control units and recognized through Star Diagnosis. It would be best if you left both keys to diagnose. Looks like the key in question can no longer answer properly and will need to be replaced under warranty.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Konigstiger... just picked up the car and there were no fault codes so the key was deemed defective and a new one is on order under warranty. I think I caught my SA at a bad time this morning... I was just shocked by his initial statement.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 AM

'03 E500 Sport
I get this message as well on occasion. It is very intermittent. I changed the batteries and still, sometimes, the doors won't lock/unlock using the key, or I get the "key not recognized" error when I try to use my Keyless Go.

Sounds like they were able to replace your key 'under warranty'. What warranty do you have on the '03? Maybe I'll bring my key in if I don't have to pay!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If its very infrequent, try putting your hand into your pocket & moving the keys & change around inside the pocket. They can block the signal from the key to the car.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Yeah, that’s exactly what my issue was but it happened 7 times out of 10. I bought my car as a ‘certified pre-owned’ so it’s an extension of the original factory warranty.

As a bump, they no longer have the old style key so I get the new style with the chrome. The price listed on my paperwork that is being charged to the dealer is $333!!! And I thought the price of the Vette keys was bad??