Please Offer Your Advice... E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Just judge for yourself. Just feel the door inserts, MB tex feels like plastic, your arms stick to it after driving for a while. The seat inserts are leather, so if they ask you to feel the seat for comparison, you're just comparing leather with leather. MB tex on a hot day is fairly disgusting, I've owned cars with MB-tex and leather, and I did support the MB tex for a while. But like I said, the plastic feeling coupled with the So.Cal sun was not a good combination.
Yes, this is so true, even up here in the north when the sun shines !!
If you can find an E350 Sport with leather, go for it.

But, getting back to your dilemma between 535i and E350, good decision on your part for so many reasons.
If you had read about the current serious problems that BMW is having with the twin turbo motor, you would not have hestitated in making your decision. Across the US, there have been hundreds (perhaps far more) of failures for the high pressure fuel pump. Many 335i owners (same engine in 535i and X5) have been without their cars for 30-60 days waiting for a replacement pump, and some of these have been failing !
In addition, due to very high oil temperatures, there has been a recall to install a second oil cooler for the steptronic equipped cars with the twin turbo motor.
And finally, there have been at least five reports on BMW forums of expolding sunroofs in the new 3 Series.

So, enjoy your new E350 in sunny California !
Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Untertürkheim and DerekACS,

You guys have both lead me to believe that I should have gone with my preminition and asked the dealer to located a car with leather.

I think they are just trying to unload cars from their or their sister dealer's properties.

I'll have my sales guy find me one. He is supposed to call me today with the new rates for July.

Fingers crossed.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 PM

2007 E550 and 2007 335i
about the 335i

I own both an E550 and a 335i, both great cars. The engine in the 535 or 335 is wonderful. There is a issue with the high pressure fuel pump for a very small number of cars. Mine has 4000 miles and no problems, it is suspected it may be caused from cheap gas... arco, walmart etc.. The 5 series with the twin turbo motor would be outstanding. 300 lbs of torque from 1400rpm to near redline is a gas. As to the overheating again almost a non-issue. First there is no recall. Also some sport package cars are getting an additional oil cooler free from bmw if you ask. I drive my car (w/o the 2nd oil cooler) very hard and I can not get it close to becoming to warm in 100 degree heat. I have not been to the track yet so I will see then. However as great as the twin turbo motor is it is hard to argue with 5.5L motor in the benz. Between that and the magic 7 speed transmission it is hard to pick a favorite. We are bmw people at heart but 07 E to me is head and shoulders a better vehicle especially inside than the 5 series in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM

The 335ci on the track

When the 335ci first came into the showrooms... My family and I were invited to come and test the car.

I actually got to drive the a 335ci from the dealer to the track...

When I sat behind the wheel and I pushed down on the throttle was had the car still in first gear I felt all of the blood rushing from my head to my hands and feet.

I had so much adrenaline going through my body, I thought I was going to pass out... And that was just the drive over.

As for the E350... NOT COMPARING - I know they are two different cars with different horse powers... it is a different feeling.

I felt at ease, more refined, mature if you will. The Merc is the quintessential poised car, it is the Charlize Theron to your Lindsey Lohan.

Both hot, both you would bring home to your garage, but only one you would drive your mom around in.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by stevec32
I own both an E550 and a 335i, both great cars. The engine in the 535 or 335 is wonderful. There is a issue with the high pressure fuel pump for a very small number of cars. Mine has 4000 miles and no problems, it is suspected it may be caused from cheap gas... arco, walmart etc..
Yes, I agree with your first statement.
However, if you do a search on various BMW forums, you will find that the HPFP problem has affected a significant number of cars; the failure rate has been estimated at 3-5%. More than 12,000 twin turbos are now on the road in the USA. The cheap gas theory has long since been eliminated. The latest reports suggest a defective design, since BMW has reportedly switched from a Siemens pump to a Bosch one.
Like the great majority of 335i owners, I did not experience any problems, but had I been without my car for a month or two, I would have been a very disgruntled owner.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gotoschoolhere
Untertürkheim and DerekACS,

You guys have both lead me to believe that I should have gone with my preminition and asked the dealer to located a car with leather.

I think they are just trying to unload cars from their or their sister dealer's properties.

I'll have my sales guy find me one. He is supposed to call me today with the new rates for July.

Fingers crossed.
Re: unloading cars. My thoughts exactly. Since the 2008s are coming in now you should be able to get a great deal on an 07. It really does not make sense that finding one with P2 and leather would be so difficult, especially in LA where there are so many dealerships.

On an aside, I'm assuming you go to school in LA, which one? I ask because I also do.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:05 AM

On an aside, I'm assuming you go to school in LA, which one? I ask because I also do.
Yeah, I know they'll find one with the options I want.

I go to LMU, where do you go?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I know they'll find one with the options I want.

I go to LMU, where do you go?
USC

So if you're out there, are you going to Simonson? I know a couple salesmen there...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 AM

USC

So if you're out there, are you going to Simonson? I know a couple salesmen there...
Actually, I have been going to South Bay Mercedes in Torrance, as I live in Manhattan Beach.

This sales person is a close family friend. But I would love to speak with other sales people to see what they can offer me. This way I can number shop. Please PM your sales person's contact info... and who should I say referred me to them.

RE: USC... My younger brother graduated from there and now he is in medical school in Florida. Great school, great programs... what is your major?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 AM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
Tex vs Leather: I’ve had both. The leather IS good ... but, cracks.

Tex in the MB cars I’ve had has been GREAT! No complaints at all,
in looks or comfort. And, it looked as good when I sold it as when
I bought it.

I’m “very careful” with money. I can’t see spending the high extra
when - to me - the Tex looks and feels great and holds up longer!

jimm

==========

In days - ‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps, nose star

Last edited by jimm; 07-04-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=spinsonic;2302140]
Please Help Me...

Now I am thinking about crossing over to the civilezed side. I have always admired MB's. But I am a BMW driver. I know you have seen us around. We're the ones who cut you off , slam on our brakes , tailgate you , make illegal passes , park in the handy cap spaces , drive from red light to red light like a race car driver and etc.

no offense, but you should try that on me, all you'll see is tires smoking in front of you. i live in california as well and i can tell you, no bmw has done the above yet.
Spinsonic

I was merely trying to point out that typically BMW drivers are more aggressive on the road. We have higher insurance premiums, more accidents, and higher rate of mortality based on an article I had read in 1997. This article compared driving habits of BMW, Benz, and Audi drivers.

I constantly find myself pushing the envelope, and simply wanted to know if buying a Merc would 1. quench this thirst or 2. subdue it and I become a civilized driver.

A long time friend of mine had a GS400 and now drives a CLS55. Yet he used to be more "agile and aggressive" with is Lexus than his Merc. When he had the lexus he was 17 - 21 and now he is 25 so I know age has nothing to do with it.

Thus leading me to believe that a Merc is the constant.