E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Another Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 06:21 AM

05 E500 Wagon
Another Warranty Question

Hey guys,
I was lurking around here a few months ago looking for a pre-owned E wagon. Then was in the R forum for a little while, moving up from a mini-van seemed too drastic to go to the wagon. Well, I'm back and quite possibly getting a 05 E500 wagon thats certified pre-owned from MB.

My question is the extended warranty, for another year, up to 100,000 miles is around $1,800, and for two years is around $2,500.
After reading some other posts about extending the warranty from another party, do you feel that this is a fair deal. Once I sign and buy I no longer have the option of buying the warrranty from Benz anymore.

The car is a 05 with around 12,000 miles on it, I will be getting warranty up until 06/2010 and 100,000 miles with the original deal.

Thanks for any help, Sammy
Old 07-10-2007 | 07:24 AM

'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by sammyshammy
Hey guys,
I was lurking around here a few months ago looking for a pre-owned E wagon. Then was in the R forum for a little while, moving up from a mini-van seemed too drastic to go to the wagon. Well, I'm back and quite possibly getting a 05 E500 wagon thats certified pre-owned from MB.

My question is the extended warranty, for another year, up to 100,000 miles is around $1,800, and for two years is around $2,500.
After reading some other posts about extending the warranty from another party, do you feel that this is a fair deal. Once I sign and buy I no longer have the option of buying the warrranty from Benz anymore.

The car is a 05 with around 12,000 miles on it, I will be getting warranty up until 06/2010 and 100,000 miles with the original deal.

Thanks for any help, Sammy
I am guessing that the prices you quote above are from MB and not 3rd party? If so then they sound fair and much like the prices you would get when you buy a new car. I personally got the extended warranty on my car when I got it. I got 2 years or 100,000 miles for around $2400.

These cars get kill your wallet if you have to make repairs on them out of warranty so if I were you if would get the extended warranty. You car argue if the price is too high but like the dealer said when I was makeing up my mind; 'would you buy the car without warranty if we took $2400 off the price?' And the answer to that is a clear no so in that light I guess that it is worth it.
Old 07-10-2007 | 08:10 AM
Almost a Member!

'03 E500 Sport, Giant NRS Composite 2, Specialized Roubaix
That's roughly the same price I was quoted a couple months ago so it seems in line. I unfortunately turned it down and I regret it as even the simplest repairs on an MB seem to be exorbitant.
Old 07-10-2007 | 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Take the MB warranty I did. Worth the $$ and effort. If you blow just 1 strut the bill would almost equal the amount you pay for the warranty.

Not all after market warranties are good at car dealers (I had one on my other car and the dealer would not honor it).

If you have the MB warranty it is good at all MB dealers USA.
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:55 AM

'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
BTW, if the prices you mentioned are for MB extended warranties then this is a good price. If you look at the MBUSA website you can see that the price for 1 year on an E class is $2500.

If this is the price the dealer is offering you an MB extended warranty I'll buy another year for myself. What dealership is this?
Old 07-10-2007 | 07:09 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Thanks for the replies. It looks like the MB warranty is the way to go. I never figured in the extra warranty when shopping around for a vehicle but it seems to make more sense everytime I think about it.
Its pretty much a done deal with the car so it looks like I will be an MB owner for the first time. It sure did have a nice feel when I test drove it and I am hoping I have good luck with it. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions around here so bear with me for the time being.

Sgaar, I don't know the whole story as I am new to these cars but the MB dealer said that I can only purchase the extended warranty from MB at the time of the sale, not a day later. I think this is only due to that I am not the original owner. So I'm getting another two years extra warranty which will bring me to 6/2012 and 100,000 miles. If anything it should benefit me when I decide to sell. I purchased the car from MB of Greenwich, conn.

Again Thanks