E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

’08 E350 - My Likes .. and Dislikes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Many times, even though a street name is not "North Country Road" it would be listed as Country Road North. Try to enter it that way.

Also sometimes, even though you know a street is located in "Oyster Bay" for instance, (and Oyster Bay" is listed as a choice... the street may not be listed), look lower in the Town list... many times you will find another town listing, such as "Oyster Bay, Town Of", and the street will be listed there.

There is a certain logic to this thing. Its NOT Yankee logic, but once you get "What WERE they Thinking?", you'll find your inputting easier.

Also, it is NOT necessary to enter the town name (or street name) completely. The more letters you put in, the closer you will get to the exact name match before you start scrolling using the Page Down softkeys. If you enter the whole Town Name, you will get an exact hit and not have to scroll at all, but many times scrolling is faster than entering all the letters one at a time. You Scroll, highlight, and press OK.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Where are the pics ?

C'mon, jimm...it's been 4 days and still no photos ! Take and post now !
(it's not like you don't have the time )
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
Originally Posted by starbrite
C'mon, jimm...it's been 4 days and still no photos!
Take and post now!
(it's not like you don't have the time )
Time I have. And, thank you for wanting to see it.

But, pics I don’t do.

jimm
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by jimm

But, pics I don’t do.

jimm
Hmmm..that's interesting. Not that you owe us any explanation but is it because you don't have a camera or the ability to crop/resize or post?. Any member here would be glad to help. After all jimm, a picture truly is worth a thousand words. And, there certainly has been a lot of discussion, both pre and post purchase.

Whatever you decide, we all certainly respect your privacy, if that's an issue.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Spelling!!!

Try this "Essex Connecticut" you will never find it.

Lets see it has been settled since the 1700's.
I did try it and sure enough, not there.
The only Essex it displays is in CA, where a Google search reveals that it is a small UNincorporated town and the Google Map is, you guessed it, Navteq.

Then entered it in my wife's '04 Lexus (original disc) and 6 Essex locations, including CT (but interestingly, not CA!), were displayed.
Very sad MB/Navteq.

Last edited by starbrite; 07-17-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350

But, pics I don’t do.

jimm
Starbrite- As I have told ya... Its a stock car with no mods. (like mine). If you've seen one you've seen them all. But the phrase "Pics I don't do" IS strangely off-putting.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I did try it and sure enough, not there.
The only Essex it displays is in CA, where a Google search reveals that it is a small UNincorporated town and the Google Map is, you guessed it, Navteq.

Then entered it in my wife's '04 Lexus (original disc) and 6 Essex locations, including CT (but interestingly, not CA!), were displayed.
Very sad MB/Navteq.
Here is the interesting part everybody is wrong, there is No Essex Connecticut and the Mercedes Nav is right.

Seems the town fathers named it "Town of Essex" little known fact.
Took me two beers to find that one.

Enter; Essex_town_of (some may have to scroll to find it) SO German, uou Vill Enter proper name unt sfelling, yavolt!
The newer discs have 21 new Essex's on them and yes Essex CT is NOW listed both ways.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM

I “thought” I had answered you very politely.

It just doesn’t interest me to buy a camera,
learn to use it, then try to figure out how to
send the pictures.

Different folks have different interests. Isn’t
that fair?

Barry you seem to always be looking for some
reason to insult.

jimm
Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I never thought I'd say it, but MB is actually better than GM when it comes to entering names. Try entering Jericho turnpike or sunrise highway in a GM nav, forget it, and they are major roads here. After a very long search I found my address on Sunrise highway after typing its name then trying everything from route 27 to rte 27 until W rte 27 worked. Imagine having to know Sunrise highway has to be entered as w rte 27.

I have made posts on how much I miss the GM touch screen. The other day I had to enter a destination and I was actually quite surprised how fast the MB works. It actually took less time to enter than my old GM. The GM has a full keyboard and after hitting a letter it would sometimes freeze for 2-3 seconds while it looked for next possible letter combos. The MB does it instantly and will only allow you to scroll available letters which speeds it up even faster. I thought I would miss the POI name input as in entering Mcdonalds for example, but so far it has been ok. I went to a restaurant the other day and I meerly hit POI/restaurant/italian and the restaurant was easily findable. It was actually quicker than the GM way of entering the name then city, then scrolling through close matches.

I do miss the touch screen for advancing the map. The arrow keys are very slow. I also miss being able to advance the screen to an exit or intersection and the screen would tell me how far (miles) to that point.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320

send the pictures.

that fair?

reason to insult.

jimm
jimm....you did and I don't think Barry was aiming an insult your way.
I think what he's saying is that commenting something like "I don't have a camera, so no pics"
would have made a little more sense than "But, pics I don’t do".
Which makes it sound more like "I don't feel like taking the time to do it."

As we all know ,the written words can taken on far more meanings than a face to face conversation.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Depends on your disc version

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Here is the interesting part everybody is wrong, there is No Essex Connecticut and the Mercedes Nav is right.

Seems the town fathers named it "Town of Essex" little known fact.
Took me two beers to find that one.

Enter; Essex_town_of (some may have to scroll to find it) SO German, uou Vill Enter proper name unt sfelling, yavolt!
The newer discs have 21 new Essex's on them and yes Essex CT is NOW listed both ways.
Not so fast there Yacht Master, my disc is a 2005.3 and no Essex town of, or any other combo of entries.
Even tried the 2 beer method and no go. ( enjoyed the beers though )

Interestingly, their web site isn't listed as "town of" : http://www.essexct.gov/

So, it still begs the question why a town/city/location settled in the 1700's, isn't on a Nav disc in 2005 ?
And, what about all the other Essex's. why is just one in CA shown ?
It is strange that Navteq "discovered" all these pre existing locations in a year and a half. !

Last edited by starbrite; 07-17-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350

send the pictures.

that fair?

reason to insult.

jimm

Well, given the fact that in virtually all your posts you emphatically stated that you absolutely had to have the very latest in electronics, and tech gear, (you obviously are quite adept with a computer), and you drive very new "electronically enhanced" vehicles, to me it was a forgone conclusion that you'd have a silly little digital camera.

After all of the freely given advice and information I and others have given to you, (re-read the answers and explanations to all of your posts) your rather abrupt "Pictures? "Sorry, I don't do pictures." seemed a little off-putting... as if you had gotten what you wanted from us, while you were choosing, then waiting for your car.

I find it interesting that so many people want to see a picture of someone's car, that is exactly the same as their own. I guess its part of the camraderie here.

Your explanation in the quote above is far more gracious and polite than "I don't do pictures". Don't forget we're not sitting across from each other in a pub somwehere. There's no vocal inflection or facial expressions.

As to my intent to insult you? There is no intent to insult, just occasionally you post something that just seems to have been created by someone else using your name. It just doesn't seem to be of the same temperment, intelligence or attitude of all your other posts.

"I don't do pictures" is just plain rude. Especially when it is followed up with a "How do I.." type of question. How about "I don't have a digital camera", or "I don't know how to post pictures here". BOTH phrases I have used here in the past, going back to 2004. I now have a digital camera, and I know how to post pictures... taught to me by people here on the forum. Do you know how many of your questions who's answers are self explanatory once you have the car infront of you after a day of ownership were answered by people here on the forum, simply because you asked?

Don't get insulted, be polite.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C63s Cabriolet
Tell me this is a joke. You're from Long Island and a little statement like "I don't do pictures" you find to be "just plain rude". Thats too funny.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by BudC
Mercedes did have something they called EZ-Exit. We have it on our 2004. It permitted you to set the seat for each key and when you removed the key, the seat would go back and the steering wheel would go up. The opposite occurred when you put the key in the ignition.

Unfortunately, it never worked correctly so Mercedes took it out. You would think that if BMW and Lexus could get it to work, Mercedes should be able to as well.

The curious thing is that it worked most of the time for my wife who has the seat up and forward but not for me. I suspect that I had the seat back about as far as was safe with passengers in the rear seat.
It works on my W203... My wife is 5-1 and I am 5-7 when she uses her key to unlock and open driver door the seat and wheel moves back and up and then back into her stored position when she inserts the key. Same for me except the seat moves further back from my wife's EZ-exit position to give me more leg room.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not so fast there Yacht Master, my disc is a 2005.3 and no Essex town of, or any other combo of entries.
Even tried the 2 beer method and no go. ( enjoyed the beers though )

Interestingly, their web site isn't listed as "town of" : http://www.essexct.gov/

So, it still begs the question why a town/city/location settled in the 1700's, isn't on a Nav disc in 2005 ?
And, what about all the other Essex's. why is just one in CA shown ?
It is strange that Navteq "discovered" all these pre existing locations in a year and a half. !
2005.3 I think it has it

Just for fun,and one more beer, enter just ESSEX and then hit list button in the upper right hand corner.

The local Tax collector calls it Town of Essex.
http://www.essex.com/assessmentguide.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Hoop
Tell me this is a joke. You're from Long Island and a little statement like "I don't do pictures" you find to be "just plain rude". Thats too funny.
Yeah, I'm on Long Island. Does that automatically mean I'm rude? Its not the statement its the 'tude. It sounded like a needless snub.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-17-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
@jimm

In this thread, bluetooth, you question this technology and then mention how to charge your phone. By implication I would guess your phone to be this or similar based on this thread. But when looking at CNET I get something different.

Could you therefore help us out on this issue as well as your comment about "don't do pics".

Thanx
Old 07-17-2007, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Does this really need to turn into a battle over someone that doesn't want to post pics of his car? I don't plan to, but I do plan to contribute to the forum as it has been helpful to me. I do feel strange about posting pictures of my personal property online unless its for sale.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:22 PM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
I don't see any attitude in the comment "I don't do pics". It's not a **** site so really, who cares??? Jimm HAS participated by posting his likes & dislikes. He doesn't owe us anything else. Good Grief people
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vik888
Does this really need to turn into a battle over someone that doesn't want to post pics of his car? I don't plan to, but I do plan to contribute to the forum as it has been helpful to me. I do feel strange about posting pictures of my personal property online unless its for sale.
So is your Beachcraft for sale? post some pics

You guys Jimm is 78 years old he could give a "you know what" about pics, and I don't blame him one bit. On the other hand I can see the camaraderie on the board and think this is all just a little bit misunderstood. So don't take offense if a member doesn't care to post pics.

Hell if I make it to 78 I'll give ya all some attitude
Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Yeah, I'm on Long Island. Does that automatically mean I'm rude? .
No! It means you should be thicker skinned. You make a 5 paragraph big deal out of a nothing statement like "pic's I don't do". Now that means your rude.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by gotoschoolhere
Wow...

You must be kidding. It is absolutely their fault!!! I understand that MB does not make navigation systems... But also MB is not a captive buyer nor is the navigation system company supplying systems to MB a captive supplier. This would mean, i would assume that MB could purchase a more sophisticated system to put in these cars.
I agree fully. I'm not sure if Kia offers navigation in their cars but if they did, I bet it works a lot better than the MB navigation system with a better user interface. The fact that MB does not make the navigation system is absolutely no excuse. They don't make the tires either. If they select bad tires is the argument that they did not make the tires reasonable? Ultimately they are responsible for selecting the components and software that goes in the car. For paying what we pay, we should be able to expect at least mediocre technology in the car. The MB navigation system is stone age for the 1990s let alone the following decade in which we live!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
jimm....you did and I don't think Barry was aiming an insult your way.
I think what he's saying is that commenting something like "I don't have a camera, so no pics"
would have made a little more sense than "But, pics I don’t do".
Which makes it sound more like "I don't feel like taking the time to do it."

As we all know ,the written words can taken on far more meanings than a face to face conversation.
Perhaps, but to me Jimm's "statement" was clear regarding what we should expect, I don't think he needs to explain why he would not post pics (I see he still did).

Completely out of topic though.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I agree fully. I'm not sure if Kia offers navigation in their cars but if they did, I bet it works a lot better than the MB navigation system with a better user interface. The fact that MB does not make the navigation system is absolutely no excuse. They don't make the tires either. If they select bad tires is the argument that they did not make the tires reasonable? Ultimately they are responsible for selecting the components and software that goes in the car. For paying what we pay, we should be able to expect at least mediocre technology in the car. The MB navigation system is stone age for the 1990s let alone the following decade in which we live!
The original comment was for the sentence: "The map issue seemed sever to me. Again I would like to defend MB, the map data base is not produced by MB, if it is outdated, MB cannot do a lot."

So you assume the Kia Navi would show roads that are not on the map data base of their navi provider? Of course MB should select another data base provider in this case, but what if the current one is better on their main market?

I take the "agreement" being more on the user interface where the W211 seems to lack, compared to W221 and W204. With some willingness from the user to learn how the W211 device operates, it would also work decently even if not being perfect.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 AM

After 700 miles, I’ve found another LIKE!

The Automatic Volume Control! (Speed up volume goes up;
slow down, it goes down, etc.)

All of my recent cars have had this but NONE (including my
vette) have worked very well. However, the one in my 350
seems to work perfect.

jimm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ’08 E350 - My Likes .. and Dislikes