Distronic and Detectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport, Giant NRS Composite 2, Specialized Roubaix
Distronic and Detectors

I have a question for those of you with Distronic that use radar detectors... do you experience any issues of false alarms, interference, etc? If there are issues, is it only when Distronic is engaged or is it all the time?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM

'03 E500 Sport
I don't have any good info to post here, but...

How do you like distronic? Is it actually useful? give me some examples...

I have parktronic and can't live without it. I actually tapped another car while parallel parking with my wifes car because I was expecting to hear the beep once I was close to the other car!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 E500 Sport, Giant NRS Composite 2, Specialized Roubaix
Most of the highway driving I do is all during rush hour so I don't get the chance to use it much (too much stop and go). But when I do use it I think it's absolutely great. It's especially handy when multitasking (read: driving, talking, eating, etc – which we ALL do) as you don't have to worry about your speed and ramming into the back of someone. You still have to be as diligent about others trying to merge, etc so I am NOT saying it's a set-it-and-forget-it type feature. Safety 1st – ha. If you do any amount of highway driving it's a very valuable feature... plus, it's a way to "wow" your passengers given it has a video game like display showing where you are in relation to the car in front of you.

The other neat feature is that when not using the cruise, you can turn on an audible alarm if it senses you are about to hit someone (mutes radio – beeping – display turns red). If you come up on a car too fast without braking, it makes you aware. The only issue I have had with it is that I get a lot of false alarms when going around corners (as it can only sense what is straight in front of you) and it thinks I'm about to hit street signs, fire hydrants, cars coming the other way, etc. It freaks my wife out if it keeps going off so I tend to leave it off when she is in the car. I like to use it at night when I take the back roads home or want to do some high-speed excursions (hence my Q about interference with radar detectors). Us Midwesterner's have to worry about deer on the back roads... you can not imagine the damage a deer can inflict on a car. Think: Tommy Boy but only at 100 mph!!! Ha!!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Thanks for the info. I hear ya about deer. I have a ton by my house and am nervous every night on the way home...