E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need Advice - Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 W4
Need Advice - Extended Warranty

My car has 61K miles on it and out of original warranty. I know that repairs from this point onward are going to be costly. I got an offer from a group called "Dealer Services" for extending the factory warranty to 6 yr 125K miles, signed by their Senior VP Russel Garland. Anyone use these guys? Recommendations are welcome, thanks!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Warranty Direct has been discussed and recommended many times :

http://www.warrantydirect.com/
Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Scambo
My car has 61K miles on it and out of original warranty. I know that repairs from this point onward are going to be costly. I got an offer from a group called "Dealer Services" for extending the factory warranty to 6 yr 125K miles, signed by their Senior VP Russel Garland. Anyone use these guys? Recommendations are welcome, thanks!
Its not really signed by anyone but a computer & a laser printer. Look into all the warranty companies you've seen posted here, then make an informed decision.

Its called "Dealer Services" so they can send the mailing piece to anyone with any make of car, and the recipient is led to believe it is from someplace affiliated with HIS dealer. They buy lists of people who bought 3 or 4 years ago to solicit them because they know they are reaching the end of their factory warranty (in years).

Years ago we used to be inndated by mailing pieces filled with little stamps to paste on a return post card from "Publishers Clearing House" signed by their VP "Robert H. Treller". LOL
Old 07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Extended Warranty no matter what, I highly recommended!!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 04:05 PM

'13 E550 W4
I know its not affiliated with my dealer. I put the guys name in case anyone recognized the name or letter. My "dealer/manufacturer" warranty expired and doesnt offer anything once expired. Since this is the only offer I've gotten since expiration, I'd like to find a reputable warranty service that will cover me starting with my car having 61K miles.. I've heard warranty direct before as well, but also heard they can be tough to work with at times. Recommendations are welcome.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:11 PM

2001 E320
An extended warranty can be a great product, but it’s no better than the company that stands, or doesn’t stand, behind the warranty. Keep the perspective that most companies will try not to pay out, or at least minimize what they have to pay out, and you’ll be happy. Most importantly, almost all of them require PREAPPROVAL before any repairs are done. That is the number one reason that extended warranty companies don’t pay out: the repair facility did not get proper pre-approval and then you’re stuck with the entire cost.

Check out any warranty company thoroughly before handing over that check!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM

'13 E550 W4
Great advice guys, thanks. Does anyone know of any reputable extended warranties out there for our cars?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM

'13 E550 W4
Continental Warranty Service or others, I need to find the best one out there that is reputable. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM

2004 E500 4matic
Continental Warranty Service or others, I need to find the best one out there that is reputable. Any help is appreciated.
I just purchase continental warranty Sevice today. to be honest I don't know much about them, however, they offer me a 30 days no risk money back guarantee so once the paper work comes to my house I'm going to read over the fine print. They talk a good game....lol
Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 PM

'13 E550 W4
Thanks. Let me know what you find out about them.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
continental is a bunch of clowns. they tried to tell me that Cali law says you gotta take it now or else the quote is gone and they can never insure you, and that it's ok to drop 4g's, b/c you get 30 days money back guarantee. LOL I told them to go **** a tree.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:10 AM

2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by The Godfather
continental is a bunch of clowns. they tried to tell me that Cali law says you gotta take it now or else the quote is gone and they can never insure you, and that it's ok to drop 4g's, b/c you get 30 days money back guarantee. LOL I told them to go **** a tree.

yeap they pulled me the same trick but in a different way...lol. they told if I take it today they will throwing a munch of crap...lol. they gave to a 30 gas card, which is about a half a tank of premium gas and 35 oil change voucher....lol.

Last edited by bigmel; 07-24-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 AM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
I don’t recommend ANY extended warranty. If you never buy
ANY extended warranty, you will die richer.

Instead of buying an extended warranty, put that money in a
savings account. Then use it toward a break down, or toward
a new car purchase or lease.

Extended warranties are high profit items for people who sell
them.

jimm
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM

2003 E500, 1999E320
Great advice guys, thanks. Does anyone know of any reputable extended warranties out there for our cars?
Hi Tom, you know Jimm above may be right aout saving the money in an account for repairs, I never thought of that, but I just bought an '03 E500 that is no longer under factory warranty, and because of all the electronic gagetry, I want to buy an extended warranty. I did some research on the web, and I learned a few important things from some consumer websites. They said the best way to find a warranty company is through a warranty broker, the highest recommended one was called smartautowarranty.com. It also said to make sure the warranty co. is rated by the Better Business Bureau. I called smartauto and got at quote. You can get everything from a bare-bones policy that covers only the power train, to a "bumper to bumper" warranty, which includes wear-and-tear, gaskets and seals, 24 hour roadside assistance (includes lockouts and tire changes and running out of gas) and in my case it even covered tire damage. Things to watch out for: if getting a bumper-to-bumper, ask what's NOT covered. Also, the deductible, mine for instance has a $100 per incidence, excluding the roadside asst which is free. Also, ask if the company pays the shop directly with a corporate credit card, or do you have to pay out-of-pocket and then get reimbursed? The company should let you choose the garage of your choice and not limit you to the dealer only, and should pay the shop directly. The company that smartautowarranty.com quoted me from was Express Auto Care. I will probably buy the warranty. I use an indy shop (i've been driving a '99 E320), and I'm definetly NOT going to start going to the dealer. Oh, and mine even covers car rental while your car is in the shop. And the other guy above is right, you do have to get pre-approval for repairs from almost any warranty service, even the good ones. Good luck.
Erica
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Jimm's advice is not valid for someone who is going to keep his car past the expiration date of their factory warranty. Jimm (and others) is in & out of cars far before the warranty is over. (& while no one likes to throw money away, obviously money spent on a car for him is not a financial "drain"). The interest earned on "putting the extended warranty money in a bank", is practically nothing. You could probably save more by looking for a cheaper Auto Insurance company for a better rate every 2 years.

I love my '07, but wouldn't keep it 5 seconds past the warranty expiration. Labor alone is over $110 an hour here, and we all know what parts cost. While a friendly parts guy will save you a few bucks when you buy parts over the counter, out of warranty repairs are always a bloody nose for the car owner.

It all depends on how long you will keep your car. My rough estimate for "you pay" repairs is gonna be at least $1800- $2500/yr in year 5, more in year 6 & 7.

AN older MB is a very expensive habit.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-25-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM

2004 E500 4matic
ok continental must be a broker bc they gave different admins. I told them I wanted my airshock cover. So they recommed great america bc they would cover it.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Since any insurance company must cover its marketing and overhead costs and make a profit, self insurance is almost always the best financial bet, if you can bear the financial risk. If you must have the security of an extended waranty, pick the most reputable company you can and only buy a policy where you will attain the milage limit of the policy - that way it will be the least bad investment.