Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
E500 Paint Chip

Ok,, parking lot dummy chips on the fender about 1/2"x1/2"

Is there a touch up paint to cover the spot? or does the entire fender need repainting. The base primer is showing and really contrast against the silver.

If there is a touch up paint please provide supplier and type. Thanks in advance. vettdvr
Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Ok,, parking lot dummy chips on the fender about 1/2"x1/2"

Is there a touch up paint to cover the spot? or does the entire fender need repainting. The base primer is showing and really contrast against the silver.

If there is a touch up paint please provide supplier and type. Thanks in advance. vettdvr
Check out this file -- hope it helps:

Regards,
paul...
Attached Files
Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I got my touch-up paint at the dealer's parts department. They should have, or be able to order, paint for any M-B color. It's expensive for the small amount you get, but the color match is good. With a metallic color, be sure to shakeshakeshake it for a long time.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Thanks for the info. Saved the pfd file and will call the dealer for touch up paint.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Thanks for the info. Saved the pfd file and will call the dealer for touch up paint.
Is your car black? If not, I have found the paint match of the mercedes touch up paint to be terrible on both my white and silver cars. If you're really serious about it I would go to a paint shop and have them mix up some paint for you. However, they will probably have to make up a pint or so for the match to be good.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by W Cole
Is your car black? If not, I have found the paint match of the mercedes touch up paint to be terrible on both my white and silver cars. If you're really serious about it I would go to a paint shop and have them mix up some paint for you. However, they will probably have to make up a pint or so for the match to be good.
OK,, Silver
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Paint chips

I have had very good results using the MB touchup paint, a product called Langka and a little patience. My MB is also silver. The MB touchup paint is expensive, but when you learn to work with it, it matches perfectly and will hold up unlike cheaper stuff.

What works is to carefully apply the silver base, let it dry for about 2 hours, build up coat(s) as necessary, allowing each to dry for 2 hours, to completely fill the scratch to paint level. Then, after the base buildup is done, apply the MB clear coat once over the base coat touchup.

The touchup paint area will now be a little higher than the rest of the paint, that is o.k.

Let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Take a little Langka with a soft cloth, and GENTLY wipe back and forth over the touch up paint until it is flat with the rest of the paint. The touch up will slightly dull, that is o.k. Then use a little Megiars #9 polish on the touch up and surrounding area. Keep buffing the #9 until, voila!, it becomes almost invisible. Finish up with a thin coat of wax over the entire area.

I have used this method to fix all my scratches for years, on various cars, and the results are that they are 99% invisible when done. The key with the MB touchup is (patience) to let it dry for 24 hours before using the Langka or it will discolor.

Langka can be bought for $20 at Langka.com.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by NCE500
I have had very good results using the MB touchup paint, a product called Langka and a little patience. My MB is also silver. The MB touchup paint is expensive, but when you learn to work with it, it matches perfectly and will hold up unlike cheaper stuff.

What works is to carefully apply the silver base, let it dry for about 2 hours, build up coat(s) as necessary, allowing each to dry for 2 hours, to completely fill the scratch to paint level. Then, after the base buildup is done, apply the MB clear coat once over the base coat touchup.

The touchup paint area will now be a little higher than the rest of the paint, that is o.k.

Let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Take a little Langka with a soft cloth, and GENTLY wipe back and forth over the touch up paint until it is flat with the rest of the paint. The touch up will slightly dull, that is o.k. Then use a little Megiars #9 polish on the touch up and surrounding area. Keep buffing the #9 until, voila!, it becomes almost invisible. Finish up with a thin coat of wax over the entire area.

I have used this method to fix all my scratches for years, on various cars, and the results are that they are 99% invisible when done. The key with the MB touchup is (patience) to let it dry for 24 hours before using the Langka or it will discolor.

Langka can be bought for $20 at Langka.com.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Interesting. I'll have to try this Langka out. Is it some sort of chemical?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I just looked at Langka and it is a kit about $40+ that does not include the paint, but does include materials to prep, repair and protect the repaired item. My only delay is I have to drive 100 miles to the dealer and I combine trips when I have to pick up something. So It will be a while before I go but I will call for availability.

Where on the car is the paint code?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
I just looked at Langka and it is a kit about $40+ that does not include the paint, but does include materials to prep, repair and protect the repaired item. My only delay is I have to drive 100 miles to the dealer and I combine trips when I have to pick up something. So It will be a while before I go but I will call for availability.

Where on the car is the paint code?
Here is a list of Mercedes paint codes for reference.
http://www.landiss.com/paintcodes.htm

Look for this sticker on your driver's side door jamb. A member on here took this pic awhile back. His paint code reads C744. If I recall correctly, the "C" stands for nano paint and the "744" is for brilliant silver.

Last edited by W211 Ryda; 07-30-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Langka Cost

I recently refreshed my Langka bottle about a month ago.

If you dig a little deeper on their web site, one can find just the 2 oz. bottle for $20. That is all one really needs, as it has a shelf life of about 2 years and 2 oz. will go a long way. I'd save the $20 and put it towards the MB touchup which will be closer to $30.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by W211 Ryda

Look for this sticker on your driver's side door jamb. A member on here took this pic awhile back. His paint code reads C744. If I recall correctly, the "C" stands for nano paint and the "744" is for brilliant silver.
How did you know I could not find the paint code. The sticker you show is not on any door jam. Under the hood I found code 494 and 8147711 but don't know if that is the paint code. I checked one of the Paint suppliers and they don't accept either #'s for the code. So? Where is the paint code on a 03 E500?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Did you try looking at the very bottom corner of the door jamb? You have to literally get on your knees to read it. You'll also see your VIN # on the same sticker as well. Wish I could take a picture of where mine is located but I just dropped my car off at the dealership.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
check out this touchup paint:
http://www.drcolorchip.com/
I have not used it personally, but have seen the technician in the dealership used it on my silver E500. Good results.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by W211 Ryda

Found the sticker the number is 744 but when I check some of the suppliers they don't have this number. I will check with MB for the color. Thanks Jim