E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Groaning and moaning brake pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Groaning and moaning brake pedal

Since new, my 2006 E500 has periodically developed a groaning noise in the brake pedal. It did not matter if the car was moving or in park. The noise is quite load and can easily be heard above the radio. Could not repeat for the dealer. SA thought it might be normal. Yesterday it became particularly annoying I put the car in park and stabbed the pedal with extreme prejudice. After 40 or 50 jabs the noise vanished.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E320 CDI
Do a search for "SBC". The sound you hear is normal. The SBC pump is just priming the system as it is supposed to do.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E320
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
Since new, my 2006 E500 has periodically developed a groaning noise in the brake pedal. It did not matter if the car was moving or in park. The noise is quite load and can easily be heard above the radio. Could not repeat for the dealer. SA thought it might be normal. Yesterday it became particularly annoying I put the car in park and stabbed the pedal with extreme prejudice. After 40 or 50 jabs the noise vanished.
Hmmmm.....

Try this, while the car is stationary press your brake pedal twice, dont do it too fast but do it twice and if you hear the light vibrating sound its definitely the SBC system. Theres also another type of sound I heard from my car before which is a low fast rumbling sound but it usually happens when I cross the train tracks or something bumpy and thats normal btw. But if you are driving on the freeway and you hear it above the radio then its abnormal, this shouldnt be occuring at highspeeds.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM

I did not make it clear in my post that the groan occurs when I hit the brake pedal and is independent of how hard or long I brake - it is a loud sound and it occurs when initially hit the pedal, it does not matter if the car is park or moving. I am familiar with the SBC pump sound - this is different. The problem may be unique, when it happens again I am just going to smash the brake pedal until something breaks and the dealer can repair it.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
I did not make it clear in my post that the groan occurs when I hit the brake pedal and is independent of how hard or long I brake - it is a loud sound and it occurs when initially hit the pedal, it does not matter if the car is park or moving. I am familiar with the SBC pump sound - this is different. The problem may be unique, when it happens again I am just going to smash the brake pedal until something breaks and the dealer can repair it.
Suggest that they check the system for air, bleed the system, and replace the brake fluid.

Noises associated with the SBC system can be identified through STAR diagnostic flowcharts (i.e.: EDAC – SBC Noise Diagnostic Tree); the SBC Flowchart focuses on noises unique to the SBC hydraulic unit, while the SBC BOU Flowchart focuses on brake operating unit noises.

While in, mention DTB P-B-42.10/51e for precaution and they will inspect the front brake discs and pressure retaining springs for contact. Front brake squealing/grinding noise may be heard even when the brakes are not applied. Brake lining, piston damper, and retaining spring will be inspected and replaced if necessary.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. Next time noise develops I'll bring it in and ask them to check.