E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ESP on the dash.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4matic
ESP on the dash.....

Last nite the wife and I went to the movies. the car drove fine there and when the show was over we jump in the car go get a bite to eat. the car start as normal. restaurant was about a 1 mile from the movie spot. I jump out and before my slow wife was able to get out of the car I notice the restaurant was closed. so I jump back in the car and turn the key and nothing happen all the lights was on the dash. then ESP visit workshop popped up. so, I try again and no luck. so I waited a few mins and still no luck. After 30mins messing with stuff and try to find numbers to call. Mind you it was 12am and my wife was starting to **** me off. asking me what we are going to do. I tried again but this time, I held the key in the start position for like 10sec and then the car started up. However the ESP was still on the dash. I also notice the car did not drive the same. It felt like it was in safe mode or something. the brake and the gas petal was not as sharp at all. we made it close to home and the wife was still hungry. Since it was about 1am its not many options out there, so we stop at CVS. I turn off the car. when we was done. when I start up the car again and I had to hold the key in on again for like 10sec to start.

I have an appointment tomorrow to install Sirius, replace my keyless go floor shifter, and to check out my rear power shade. So I have to add the ESP on the list of things the dealer needs to fix...

Last edited by bigmel; 08-07-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I don't believe the ESP message caused the car not to start. More than likely the bad start sequence caused a bunch of errors to occur.

1. If it was a keyless go start the 1st time, press harder on the brake, sometimes that helps.

2. How are the batteries (2) in the SmartKey?

3. When you have a big malfunction, sometimes it helps to take the key out, open then close the drivers door, wait about 4 minutes for everything to "go to sleep", then try again.

It usually helped for me in my '04.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM

2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I don't believe the ESP message caused the car not to start. More than likely the bad start sequence caused a bunch of errors to occur.

1. If it was a keyless go start the 1st time, press harder on the brake, sometimes that helps.

2. How are the batteries (2) in the SmartKey?

3. When you have a big malfunction, sometimes it helps to take the key out, open then close the drivers door, wait about 4 minutes for everything to "go to sleep", then try again.

It usually helped for me in my '04.
Barry I think it was a bad star by me... bc the car was just fine until I pull in the restaurant parking lot and turn off the car and jump out then when I saw the restaurant was closed I was pissed and I jump back in the car turn the key quickly to the start position and thats when the message popped up on the dash. this morning the car started up with no problem, but the car still show 1 malfunction on the dash. anyway I'm getting Sirius installed tomorrow so in the process of they car take a look at that...

Last edited by bigmel; 08-07-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-2007, 01:18 PM

ESP Malfunction display - ECU replacement

Have experienced similar starting problem with E220 cdi W211, 4 years old, 52k miles. Turbo replaced recently (not cheap) then startng problem started. Does start from 1 to several attempts - ESP malfunction clears. Dealership wants to change ECU & front SAM (not cheap).
Indie only ECU. Any suggestions. Shall I cut my losses and go BMW or Lexus?

Last edited by skcmbus; 08-08-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: minor correction