E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

COMAND acting stupid "---" and how I fixed it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
COMAND acting stupid "---" and how I fixed it!

So all is well in E-land, no issues for a while (for a change). All of a sudden, I get in the car, and on the MFD I get AUDIO "----" and thats it, no sound, nothing. It takes about 3 minutes for the screen to boot up, comes up with the DVD screen, movement but no sound, no controls, nothing. So I go to test everything I can and come to find out that the CD Changer door will not open. I say to myslef: Self, this has happened before. The CD changer WAS bad for a while, and when they replaced the BCM at the dealer it started to work fine. So I thought..... and thought..... and thought. I took out the "fix all" fuse 6 and still same thing. Shut off the car and go for a coffe. Come back, everything back to normal, sans CDC. WTF! Hey it got fixed! Right? WRONG! Next morning happened again.

No big deal to loose the CDC, as I dont use it at all. So I decided to disconnect the CDC for good and see if that is the culprit (at this time, the system was working fine, but no CDC button so it was not being recognized). Nope, all it did was..... yep, you guessed it. All video was there, no sound, no controls..... hmmm, I said to myself (again). Plugged it back in, all came back to normal, including the CDC button. Again, I asked myself, what could have happened. Well, last week I went on a trip and my wife used the CDC. As I said, I never use them anymore, and had not used them since the BCM change.

So this is what I assume (I know, I know, do not A$$ U ME) happened:

When they replaced the BCM, there was NO power directly connected to the CDC, so it "reset" istelf. When I disconected the power plug to it, same thing must have happened. So it seems like for some reason it gets stuck, probably a malfunction, it stops working AND screws up the whole COMAND until the system bypases the malfunction, and maybe sometimes it just cannot do it.

SO..... it is no CDC for me. I still have it connected, but took all the CD's out with strict orders to all drivers in the house (yea right) to NOT USE IT EVER. Use the DVD with MP3's for Pete's sake!

Anyway, long writeup, but hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Cheers

Edward
Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4matic
wow if thats happens to me its my excuse to get the Euro comand and a new cdc, but I will not wish it to happen tho.

thanks for the info.