E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

How-to replace front shock w/air suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
How-to replace front shock w/air suspension?

The car is self destructing!! A few wks ago I was driving in town and the front right side went low. Luckily I was 2 blocks from a dealer and I limped in. Rt front shock had blown out and was replaced. To the tune of $1050!! 1 week later, getting out of my car in the driveway I heard a familiar "pop", followed by "hissing" and the front left goes down. Both times an error message of "stop car. too low" shows up. I know the shock blew, but can't bear to go for another $1000 repair job. The car is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can get instructions on DIY replacement?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Mike F
The car is self destructing!! A few wks ago I was driving in town and the front right side went low. Luckily I was 2 blocks from a dealer and I limped in. Rt front shock had blown out and was replaced. To the tune of $1050!! 1 week later, getting out of my car in the driveway I heard a familiar "pop", followed by "hissing" and the front left goes down. Both times an error message of "stop car. too low" shows up. I know the shock blew, but can't bear to go for another $1000 repair job. The car is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can get instructions on DIY replacement?
It must have been the air spring, not the shock. You should take care of the protective bellows to avoid any dirt entering the air spring and it would probably last as long as you have the car.

I've seen earlier posts for a DIY air spring change, a search should help (could have been on one of the other forums too). Not that difficult at all, just need to take care it is all out before letting air in. You should probably buy the WIS for your car from mbusa.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
17 E43, 10 E5504M
Not sure if it really helps but you might want to try this forum here:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php

If you can find any articles on replacing air spring you might want to start a thread and see if anybody there can help.

Good luck on your project and keep us updated on your findings.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Easy..

1. Raise front of vehicle, support with stands.
2.Remove wheel
3. Release hood and disconnect air line from top of air strut.
4. Remove 3 13mm nuts that hold strut to tower.
5. Remove mounting bolt from lower control arm(21mm I think)
6. Remove nut that attached upper control arm to spindle(16mm) and strike the spindle where the upper ball joint goes through with a large hammer. Could take a few whacks.. but don't miss(hint, keep the nut threaded on slightly so you don't damage the threads if you miss)
7. Remove strut.

Install in reverse order, start car and depress raise switch.. then wait for the strut to fill.