E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

iPod solution - 2003 W211 Specifically...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
iPod solution - 2003 W211 Specifically...

Guys,

Everywhere I read, the OEM iPod kit is for 2004 and newer vehicles only. I am looking for all you 2003 owners that have successfully installed SOMETHING that allows you to use your iPod in your car... (besides FM transmitters)

Thanks,
PetePap
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Ummm...you probably wouldn't count a cassette adapter as "something", would you? It puts the otherwise-useless cassette player on the '03 to use, and the sound quality is much better than with an FM modulator. I've used both an FM modulator and a cassette adapter to input a XM satellite radio on my '03 and the cassette adapter is worth the extra wire in sound quality

If a cassette adapter doesn't count as "something", the only option I know of is having an '04 or newer COMAND installed. I don't recall reading of anyone getting an AUX audio input jack into the system on an '03 without also changing the COMAND. If it's been done, somebody please correct me.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 AM

'03 E500 Sport
I thought about the cassette adapter as a cheap solution, but is the cassette cover on the radio able to close when there is a wire hanging out?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM

'03 E500 Sport
ALSO, do you know if you can control the cassette deck from the steering wheel? I have NEVER used the cassette deck.

Pete
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

The wire on my cassette adapter prevents the cassette door from closing fully. The audio system beeps about 20 seconds after I insert the cassette adapter and then displays a "please close door" message. On long trips I use a piece of electrical tape to hold the door closed sufficiently to avoid the beep and the display message. I seem to recall that some people here have reported being able to close the door over the wire - might depend upon what kind of cassette adapter you have. Personally, I wouldn't want to cut a notch in the door, but that might be another option.

I've never used the cassette player to play a cassette either. I believe that cassette tracks can be selected from the steering wheel - it should be in the car's audio manual - BUT, a cassette adapter is only the equivalent of an AUX input jack. It doesn't have any control capability. So, you wouldn't be able to control iPod tracks from the steering wheel (or from the car's head unit, for that matter) while using a cassette adapter.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Thanks DWP.

So does the 'close door' message and beep go away eventually and allow you to use the tape deck with the door open?

Also, have you seen the the Griffin SmartDeck?

Supposedly it allows you to control your ipod from the controls on your radio and steering wheel. Anyways, I read the reviews on this product on Amazon, and luckily there was a review from a Mercedes owner with the same issue as us--the close door syndrome--and he said that he was able to strip down the wire enough to get it to close, and once he did that, it works great.

Check it out. He rated it 4 of 5.
My Mercedes has a tape deck that requires the door to be shut to function. I was worried when ordering this product that I wouldn't be able to shut the tape deck door, but got it anyway since it was the best solution at the time, allowing me to use my car's steering wheel controls to seek through songs. Although the wire from the cassette to the iPod was too thick to shut, I was able to strip the wire coating way down (and eventualloy all the way off) and shut the tape deck. It still works to this date. Although I would NOT recommend doing this to yours, as it might impair the functionability of the SmartDeck, it did work for me. Not sure if this'll help anyone, but I was looking for some info like this when buying mine.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't have an iPod (gasp!) so I've not heard of the SmartDeck. Apparently the SmartDeck not only sends the audio signal from the iPod through the cassette deck's heads, and into the audio system, but it also gets tape transport control information from the audio system, translates it into iPod equivalents, and sends it down to the iPod. I had no idea that a cassette deck's heads could pass transport control information (why should they? they only have to read the tape) but the company presumably wouldn't be advertising the control capability if it wasn't true.

The beep is only once, but loud (through the speakers!). The "please close door" message stays on so long as the door isn't closed, or nearly closed. That really isn't a problem because the display doesn't have anything else to do when you're playing an external audio device through the cassette deck. When I play my XM radio through the cassette deck and close the door with a piece of tape, the display shows "Track 1" constantly. Now that you mentioned it, the previous posts from people who got the cassette door to close with a cassette adapter were probably from people who shaved down the wire at the point where it goes through the door.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM

'03 E500 Sport
DWP - Thanks again for the good thread!

TO CONFIRM: The tape player works even when the tape door is open, but you have a 1 time beep, and you always have the 'please close tape door' message on the LCD display while door is open. Correct?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Correct, if by "the tape player works", you mean that audio information from the portable device is passed through the cassette adapter to the audio system. The cassette deck will swallow and eject the adapter like it was a regular cassette, but (so far as I can hear) the tape drive spindles don't operate.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM

iPod Adapter

I have a 2003 ML350 and I am looking at the same situation. After some research here is what I have found. Anybody out there have any experience with any of these that could give us some advice as to how easy one brand or another is to install or how well it works? Or do you know of any other options???

Thanks!

http://www.installer.com/item/displa....php?it=AUXMB1

http://www.eurocarphone.com/auxin.htm
Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 E450 Coupe, 2022 Porsche Macan, 2001 Porsche 911
I have been using the tape adapter since I got my '03 E320 and managed to run the wire to allow the tape door to close. I gave it enough slack and "snaked" it around to the corner and it works great. You kind of have to push the door a little hard, which I realize feels a little scary, but it's worth it!

It really works much better than any wireless radio adapter... the key is to find the right volume setting on the ipod so it doesn't sound distorted.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by DWP
The wire on my cassette adapter prevents the cassette door from closing fully. The audio system beeps about 20 seconds after I insert the cassette adapter and then displays a "please close door" message. On long trips I use a piece of electrical tape to hold the door closed sufficiently to avoid the beep and the display message. I seem to recall that some people here have reported being able to close the door over the wire - might depend upon what kind of cassette adapter you have. Personally, I wouldn't want to cut a notch in the door, but that might be another option.

I've never used the cassette player to play a cassette either. I believe that cassette tracks can be selected from the steering wheel - it should be in the car's audio manual - BUT, a cassette adapter is only the equivalent of an AUX input jack. It doesn't have any control capability. So, you wouldn't be able to control iPod tracks from the steering wheel (or from the car's head unit, for that matter) while using a cassette adapter.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 AM

2003 E500
thanks for the advice
Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM

E500
using ipod on 2003 E500

I used a rockford fosgate 360.2 signal processor. It has inputs for an Ipod and will connect to the factory stereo. It will also improve the cars sound greatly as it has built in 153 band eq, while giving you the flexiblity to add amps, speakers and just about anything else you want to add, while keeping the factory head unit. It is not the cheapest solution, new they run about $700 but I got a remanufactured model for $150. It seems that used they get much cheaper.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I have used on of the tape deck adapters in one of my other cars and it works great. You just have to make sure you don't have the volume cranked up on the ipod itself or it'll sound like ****.

Aaron
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM

W211 Elegance Saloon
I have found most of the electronic retrofits that the dealer has said were impossible were, in fact, possible once COMAND was installed. There were some issues with COMAND back in '03 which, I believe, led to that assumption.
Once you install a COMAND h/u, you'll be able to use a 3.5mm hardwire jack.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I have the OEM ipod kit installed in my 03.........works great!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I have the OEM ipod kit installed in my 03.........works great!
OK, you are the first that I have heard of... Do you have instructions on how you got it to work? (with the non-command head unit?)

Thanks,
PetePap
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have comand unit...if you have 3.5mm jack already in the car you should be fine with regular instructions...if not than you will have to go to best buy and get the adapter..
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I have comand unit...if you have 3.5mm jack already in the car you should be fine with regular instructions...if not than you will have to go to best buy and get the adapter..
No command, no 3.5mm jack here. Just the standard head unit. Still using the tape deck with a wire hanging out. It works, but still interested in a true iphone/ipod solution!

petepap
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there is one...let me fine it..its like $500 though lol...I can get it for a bit cheaper
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by PetePap
No command, no 3.5mm jack here. Just the standard head unit. Still using the tape deck with a wire hanging out. It works, but still interested in a true iphone/ipod solution!

petepap
Does the 03 not have the aux jack?

I spliced in to my cigarette lighter for power, and then ran a wire to the aux jack in the glove compartment. I then mounted an ipod holder using a kuda mount. It's clean, it's easy to see and operate while I'm driving, and it's only one wire that plugs into the bottom of my ipod classic (works with iPhone too). The whole set up cost about $100 and took under an hour to install.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM

1998 E430 Sport and 2003 E500
I have an '03 E500 and I use a cassette adaptor with my IPod. Go to Walmart and buy the $9.99 adaptor - I believe Phillips makes it and it is black. The sound is great for a long time, and it has a flat wire that the cassette door WILL close over - just give it a good firm push to shut it and it will latch. Press your AUDIO button and the display will clear and the IPod can sit nicely in your ashtray where it can easily be reached.

No, the steering wheel controls don't work to control your IPod. This is a great, cheap, fine sounding set-up compared to FM transceivers, etc. You MUST eject when you shut the stereo down, or after awhile the adaptor will become muffled and lose the highs. When it starts sounding less than ideal, throw it away and buy another one. I have used this approach on my last two cars and my wife uses it in her '98 E430.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 AM

2003 E500 W211 Sport
I have an 03 W211 e500 and had the same problem. First solution was the tape adapter. I just "forced" the door shut and the adapter worked fine with no messages. I used the lighter. Then I took a flat head screw driver and tucked the wire from the tape adapter in the side on the radio, down past the shifter and drink holder and ended it at the upper arm rest storage bay. The I ran my IPhone power from the rear lighter plug to the same arm rest area so I have power ad sound without all the ugly adapter and charger wires showing.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have a comand unit in a 03...you have AUX which means you can install ipod with ease but if you don't than your looking to spend alot of money
Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Jheedley
I have an 03 W211 e500 and had the same problem. First solution was the tape adapter. I just "forced" the door shut and the adapter worked fine with no messages. I used the lighter. Then I took a flat head screw driver and tucked the wire from the tape adapter in the side on the radio, down past the shifter and drink holder and ended it at the upper arm rest storage bay. The I ran my IPhone power from the rear lighter plug to the same arm rest area so I have power ad sound without all the ugly adapter and charger wires showing.
Sounds nice, will likely go this route.

Last edited by 03E4ME; 09-16-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPod solution - 2003 W211 Specifically...