E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Low Beam bulb out, options??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Black E320
Low Beam bulb out, options??

My passenger side low beam bulb burnt out. I have never replaced a MB bulb, the car has 30K miles on it, and it seems to be the xenon type? I have good automotive skills, would I be able to replace something like this myself? My 02' C240 bulbs were cake, but I haven't touched the E class lights yet. Does anyone know the part # for the bulb? Is it an H7? Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM

2003 Black E320
Are there no tutorials on how to remove the headlight bulb? I read the sticy up top, but it lacks just the information that I'm looking for, the physical removal of the H7 bulb and how it's done. There's just a big domed rubber looking thing in the back of the headlight, how is this removed?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E-320 and a '98 Mustang GT Convertible
Originally Posted by red97z
Are there no tutorials on how to remove the headlight bulb? I read the sticy up top, but it lacks just the information that I'm looking for, the physical removal of the H7 bulb and how it's done. There's just a big domed rubber looking thing in the back of the headlight, how is this removed?
email me...ill help u out...

its my screen name with @aol.com
Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 PM

2003 E320 2004 CLK 320 CABRIOLET
Originally Posted by red97z
Have you solved your problem?

Hi

I have a similar question,E 320 2003,the on dash display shows LOW BEAM defective(XENON),the MB dealer switched the bulbs left to right,same result;the lights work on both sides,MB claim that the light flickers occasioally(I did see it),solution replace the igniter at a cost of $550 plus labour...
He says they might have to remove the fron bumper to get to the module??
Ypur help would be appreciated.
Regards
Fred
Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I cannot diagnose your lamp problems but I can advise you on the rubber diaphram. This is a weather resistant cover that has a plastic bezel . If you look closely, there are double hash marks on the perimeter. These aid in grip but also make a good spot to tap the ring with a flat blade screw driver on such an angle as to break it loose. Obviously, a light touch is preferred.
Once the diaphram is loose( counterclockwise) the lamp base can be removed. If memory serves me, there is a part that will fall into the engine bay unless you grab it so be prepared. The driver's side is tight. I recommend that you remove the radiator catch can mounting screw and move the can aside. On my older 211, the screw expands a plastic plug. Unscrewing merely shrinks the fastener and still it must be pried out. That improves your working area. If you have big hands, it is a tight spot. This works for my Halogen lamps. I don't think the access cover is different for the xenon lamp.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
H7 is for halogen. I believe the HID ones are D2S, but check on sylvania's fit guide on their web site.