E500 Pewter/Stone arrives!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:22 PM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
E500 Pewter/Stone arrives!!!

We returned from vacation on Sunday the 20th. On this Monday the 21st, my dealer called to indicate that the car which was completed September 19 and had arrived in Jacksonville on October 15 had been delivered to the dealership on Saturday the 19th. We picked it up Monday afternoon/evening.

The details: Pewter/Stone; E1 package; E2 package; Power rear window shade; rollup rear side window shades; CD changer; "launch promotion folding rear seats" (which are not the E4 package in that there is no ski bag and the front seat does not fold forward); Active ventilated seats; delayed DVD navigation; delayed voice controlled telephone; Lo-jack.

The color combination is fantastic. Rayscar, you will be thrilled as we are. In the 3 days since picking the car up, there is no pulling to the right, no ticking, no SRS, no Telaid problem---no problem of any kind (except fighting over whose car this will be-see below). The car performs perfectly and beautifully. It drives so smoothly and powerfully. The interior soft lighting is a really pleasing feature at night. It is quick, but I haven't pushed it as the manual makes it clear to go easy in the first 1000 miles. The Harmon Kardon system is the best I've experienced in a car. The bi xenons are really worth the expense as the night visibility is vastly improved. I do not have an artificial feel from the brakes. They seem quite natural. The Airmatic is quite effective at allowing smooth comfortable ride on bumpy city roads and "tightening it up" for faster highway driving or curves. The ventilated seats really work and are a blessing here in Southern Florida and believe it or not, will be great in the winter when the heating function will be used occasionally. In short, it is an absolutely stunning, elegant, powerful and pleasing car.

Here is a clue about just how great the E500 is: we got a launch edition 2003 SL500 in March for my wife's birthday. We talked before the arrival of the E500 about how we would use the two cars. I suggested that we share both cars. She said no way, that I had to choose. Of course, that meant the SL would be hers as it was intended as a birthday present for her originally. Now, after she saw and drove the E500, she insists that she really may prefer the E500 and maybe we should, at the least, share after all!!!

They just don't get any better than this. I will keep you posted on any problems and will post pictures after this weekend.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Congratulations!
Old 10-24-2002, 06:27 AM

2004 E500
Yes!!! Congrats on your new wheels!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 10:40 AM

2003 MB E500
That is great news Jhb! I'm glad you are so happy with your car and it doesn't have some of the problems that others have posted about. Please post some pictures.

My car was still on the dock in Germany on Monday but it was assigned to a ship. A ship left on 10/21 (hopefuly it got on that one and the computer was just not updated) and one left today. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow for the latest update. So it's looking like the beginning of November for me.

How was the vacation? Hope you had a great time. Enjoy the car!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:36 AM
jhb

Vacation Es in Italy and France

Rayscar: Sorry you are waiting. But, perhaps the wait for both of us is worth it as some of the problems are being worked out prior to delivery.

Our vacation was terrific. As I indicated in another post, we saw a good number of E Class in Milan, Italy and in the South of France. Did not like the European standard wheels as much as the US ones. Most were in very dark colors like black, dark blue, tectite. It was fun to see them knowing that ours would be delivered soon after our return. BTW, Hertz offers a new E Class (diesel I think) for rent from the Nice Airport, if not elsewhere too. The one they had was diesel and in pewter/charcoal. That was the only pewter MB I saw anywhere. We couldn't rent the E for two reasons: first, we wanted a convertible and second, with a rental from Hertz, you can't take an E Class to Italy.

Milan was great for shopping and car and people watching. The South of France and nearby Monaco and the Italian Riviera are just spectacular for scenery, villages and buildings of character and there are wonderful people in both countries. The Mediterranean is absolutely breathtaking.

Rayscar, keep us posted on your delivery. I will take some pix this weekend and post them.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:49 AM

2003 MB E500
Sounds like a wonderful trip Jhb. It's hard for me to get use to the idea that in Europe, MB's are taxis and rental cars!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Rays: Don't be bothered about E's been taxis in Europe, at least people like to ride in style over there.

Anyhow, what's up with your car?
Mine has to come with Santa Claus around the 15th.

Let me know,

Enrique
Old 10-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Congrats!!!!! I think you will be very happy for many years to come with this car!!!! Post Pics ASAP!!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:18 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by Crazy4Cars
Rays: Don't be bothered about E's been taxis in Europe, at least people like to ride in style over there.

Anyhow, what's up with your car?
Mine has to come with Santa Claus around the 15th.

Let me know,

Enrique
I meant I surprised that expensive cars are used for taxis in Europe.

Well I called my dealer early on Monday and my car was still on the dock in Germany but it was assigned to a ship. One was leaving that day and one is leaving today so hopefully it is on the water now. That probably means that I won't get it until early November. My build date was supposed to be 9/30. It must have been later than that if it is still in Germany. The waiting is killing me!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:34 PM
jhb

Rayscar: Go on vacation. That way, you'll have a great time while on vacation and you won't be disappointed to have to come home as you will be arriving to your new E!!!!! BTW, our build completion date was 9/19 and delivery from the dealer to us was 10/21. Using that guide, yours should arrive and be delivered to you first week of November. Interestingly, the dealer didn't know the various dates of progress until after the fact. I assume the Netstar is updated a day or more after events. Thus, when I called the dealer from France on Friday the 18th, he didn't know that the car would be delivered to him on Saturday until it happened. So, you may get the car before the dealer can even tell you. Jeff
Old 10-24-2002, 02:41 PM

2003 MB E500
Good suggestion Jeff. I was hoping to go on vacation with my car (and family of course!) but that would be the best way to kill time for these last few weeks!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:30 PM

2003 MB E500
My dealer just called. My dock date in Baltimore is 10/28 (Monday)so my car must have shipped on the 17th afterall. he said it is possible I might get it on the 31st but probably the first week in November. At least I know it will be in the USA on Monday!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
cool, congrats rays!!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Congrats Rayscar, Mine arrived yesterday supposidley at the dock, in a week it should be at the dealership too
Old 10-25-2002, 03:10 PM

2003 MB E500
Thanks Bmms8 and Muhri2. Hope you don't have any delays and let's hope we get them next week. Bmms8 is lucky he got his already despite the dock strike/lockout. Anyway it won't be much long for us. Good thing I can't wait much longer!!
Old 10-25-2002, 03:19 PM
jhb

Congrats rayscar and muhri2. Every day we use and look at the car we are more and more pleased. What a kick today-I activated our Telaid. Our 2003 SL500 sits lonely in the garage!!!

IMO, the SL is the best design for any automobile I have ever seen. Road and Track this month agrees (they say the best since the 300SL Gullwing). Hopefully without prejudice, I would say that the new E500 is the best designed 4 door sedan I have ever seen. It is such a wonderful combination of brawn, elegance, style and engineering. The E500 and the SL are very happy together in the garage. You guys will be enjoying all that very soon. Now, rayscar, you can't go away until your car arrives!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 03:47 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by jhb
Congrats rayscar and muhri2. Every day we use and look at the car we are more and more pleased. What a kick today-I activated our Telaid. Our 2003 SL500 sits lonely in the garage!!!

IMO, the SL is the best design for any automobile I have ever seen. Road and Track this month agrees (they say the best since the 300SL Gullwing). Hopefully without prejudice, I would say that the new E500 is the best designed 4 door sedan I have ever seen. It is such a wonderful combination of brawn, elegance, style and engineering. The E500 and the SL are very happy together in the garage. You guys will be enjoying all that very soon. Now, rayscar, you can't go away until your car arrives!!!!
Thanks Jeff. Yea timing is everything and if you snooze you loose. Oh well at least I know it is only a week or so more. Just knowing helps. Nice to be in the position of choosing between an SL500 and an E500. Congrats on that a lone! I agree that both cars are two of the best!
Old 10-25-2002, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
vacation for Ray

I agree with JHB Ray. I am going to go to Las Vegas from November 4th to 8th. I estimate that my E500 will be in about then.

Sounds like mine got on the water somehow before yours. It left about 5 or 6 days ago. Of course, it has to come to the Pacific Coast so you may still beat me.

Thanks for letting me know about this board.

Ed
Old 10-25-2002, 03:56 PM

2003 MB E500
Re: vacation for Ray

Originally posted by etenn
I agree with JHB Ray. I am going to go to Las Vegas from November 4th to 8th. I estimate that my E500 will be in about then.

Sounds like mine got on the water somehow before yours. It left about 5 or 6 days ago. Of course, it has to come to the Pacific Coast so you may still beat me.

Thanks for letting me know about this board.

Ed
You're welcome. It's a great board. Everyone is friendly and I've learned a lot here. Welcome
Old 10-25-2002, 04:09 PM

W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Rays, congratulations seems like all the waiting will come to an end by next week.

Damn, I have to keep waiting for Santa to bring my beloved car
around the 15th, he said by email that due to that he will stop bye in Panama a week earlier than christmas. LOL
Old 10-25-2002, 04:15 PM

2003 MB E500
Thanks Crazy4Cars. Hang in there your time will come too!
Old 10-25-2002, 04:51 PM

W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Thanks Rays, I will. Just dont forget to have your digital camera ready to post pics.

Did you order your car with parktronic?.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:23 PM

S500 - 96
Hi all,

In Europe or at least Denmark, where I am from the reason the MB are used for taxi's used to be ( during the early 90's ), that the steep sales and registration tax are heavily reduce when the car is bought for cab driving. In Denmark we have 180% registration tax and 25% percent sales tax on top. So the price is almost times 3 of what MB sells the car for to the dealer. This makes them not too expensive to buy. Then there is the rule that the not paid tax is dismissed when the car has covered a certain amout of miles (120Kmiles I think, not sure at all). However this makes is lucrative for the cab owner to sell of the used MB after 2-3 years at which time the car is actually (at least in Denmark, where cars are generally expensive) a good buy for somebody believing in the MB trademarks, such as "the best car ever built".
People are still paying 50-60.000 $ for 4 year old E classes with 180000-200000 miles. More so diesels than gas powered of cause.
My dad drove cab's on the weekends in the early 90's and the story was that the body of a E class was the only car really capable of standing up to the usage abuse from cab duty.

- And YES, by the way during my 20's in Denmark, we did prefer to drive home in an E-class from a party trip to town. Some drivers were OK taking it to 120 MPH on the freeway 3 oclock in the morning. Those were some of the sweet rides I remember going home in style parsing lesser cars.
To people who think 75-80mph is irresponsible, I only have one thing to say: I grew up with freeway traffic going 90-100 MPH with no road rage, but following unwritten rules of the road. Very simple rule actually: Sharing the space and move over. Thus no dangerous need for tailgating. Speed only kills if you hit something. But when I took my driving test in America (I love it here though except for traffic ), I never exceeded 40 MPH and I never got out of the neighborhood. Then the next day I can purchase a 6000 pound truck and go 75 MPH tailgating with nothing being wrong.....
Drivers education does not support any speeding above 60 'coz everybody must be able to aquire a drivers license in America.
That's actually cool in itself, but I really have a hard time driving in Seattle......
- Driving is a skill, treat it as such and take that burger out of your mouth..

Jari
Old 10-26-2002, 04:36 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by Crazy4Cars
Thanks Rays, I will. Just dont forget to have your digital camera ready to post pics.

Did you order your car with parktronic?.
No I decided not to get the parktronic. For me it wasn't worth it. I will try to post pic the same day I get it! Should be at the Baltimore dock on Monday and Baltimore is only a little more than hour away from my dealer. Can't wait!
Old 10-26-2002, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Rays new car.....

I am happy for you! You have been waiting, probably not patiently, but waiting.

Glad to hear you have a dock date. I guess mine actually left a few days before yours but don't know how much longer to Los Angeles. I will still have to wait for it to be trucked up the Pacific Coast to Seattle.

I am, as I said before, going to go to Las Vegas from the 4th to the 8th of November to help kill the time. Surely I will hear something by the time I get back.

Will look to hear from you when you actually get your hands on it.

Ed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E500 Pewter/Stone arrives!!!