E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

touch shift experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
touch shift experience

Can anyone share your experience of using touch shift?

What are the occasions I can use it? And how to use it correctly?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Say you are on the freeway, and want to accelerate quickly to pass a car. You have two options: floor the pedal and let the transmission choose the gear or push the lever to the left a few times to downshift. You can force downshifts basically.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
I think there is something to the effect that if you hold the shifter to the left for two seconds, the car will interpret this as your desire to maximize acceleration and shift accordingly. So, perhaps just for that 'start' it will shift very aggressively at high RPMs. I think this is new for 2003. Since I won't have my new E for a few days I can't comment from direct experience.

Anyone else familiar with this?
Old 10-24-2002, 08:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
All true but the main purpose is really to allow you to easily and effortlessly control your overall driving experience outside the bounds of the automatic transmission.

For example, in general driving conditions you can basically drive the car as a manual and accelerate through the gears and wind it up at your own pace, not the automatic transmissions'.

Most cars have 'a' very limited manual version ( 1, 2, D1, D2) of it but MB allows you to basically do this unlimited in all gears without the risk of tearing up the transmission or sweating the fact that you might hit reverse!

Personally, its interesting, i like it, I use it if i'm bored but I would never pay for it directly (we all paid indirectly!). In a Porsche, this is $3,000 ++ option.

PS -- at 85 mph, you can drop to 3rd and only hit about 4500 rpms. A little nerve racking the first time but the car really goes from that point!!!

Last edited by skymast; 10-24-2002 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it most useful during spirited driving in the twisty's. The car seems much more connected to the driver in sencond or third gear during a fast turn (like a 90deg), than if you are just in drive where you feel almost as if you are floating through the curve.

Also its excellent for downhill engine breaking.