E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front Passenger Seat Vibrates/Makes Noise at 50 MPH +

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 W4
Front Passenger Seat Vibrates/Makes Noise at 50 MPH +

Has anyone had this occurrence? It only happens when noone is in the front passenger seat, and I'm going faster than 50 MPH. I've tried to raise and lower the headrest, and moved the seat to more forward and backward positions to see if it made a difference. I haven't had any luck troubleshooting this issue myself. For now, I just turn up the stereo and forget about the clattering seat. Your guidance is much appreciated to help me resolve this.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver 2004 E500 4Matic
I had a similar problem in my w210 a year ago, but it would also vibrate when someone was in the seat. I took the car in for an alignment and the problem went away.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by Scambo
Has anyone had this occurrence? It only happens when noone is in the front passenger seat, and I'm going faster than 50 MPH. I've tried to raise and lower the headrest, and moved the seat to more forward and backward positions to see if it made a difference. I haven't had any luck troubleshooting this issue myself. For now, I just turn up the stereo and forget about the clattering seat. Your guidance is much appreciated to help me resolve this.
Try to move over to the passenger seat see if the drivers seat will vibrate too..
just kidding..Mostlikely just wheel balancing
Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 E550
Not sure if the '04s are this way, but my '07 has a millimeter or two of vertical play in the base of the passenger side front seat. Dealer, of course, can't seem to notice it. The explanation I've given myself is that it has something to do with sensing the amount of weight on the seat so that the airbag "knows" if there's someone sitting there or not. Anyway, I can imagine that over time that that play could turn into something that would make noise if no one were sitting in the passenger seat. Just a guess, for all I know the weight is sensed some other way...
Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Sounds like alignment or a wheel off balance. I know if no one is in my passenger seat the headrest squeeks over bumps if it is raised too high. I have noticed the seats themselves are not very solid. When it is empty you can move the seat around quite a bit. I am used to my Escalade seats which were solid as stone (frame-wise) yet still very comfortable. The E seats move around more but still do have a great feel to them. I think MB had to skimp on the back frame supports in order to make the seat thinner for rear seat leg room (hence the bump-ins for knees in the back of the front seats).
Old 09-15-2007, 10:28 AM

'13 E550 W4
Thanks. Its been doing it for awhile, even after alignment and rotation. One way I've learned to stop it is just to drape my arm over the passenger seat headrest while driving...

Hey emilner, you still selling that Chevelle?? My bro in Ohio is looking for one of those bad boys...Please describe it, as he is looking for a SS396. He is a gearhead, so he likes special cars.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
It only happens when no one is in the front passenger seat, and I'm going faster than 50 MPH.
A balanced tire can still vibrate due to force variation. An unbalanced wheel causes vibration when spinning because of a heavy spot in the wheel. Force variation causes vibration because of uneven stiffness in the tire sidewall or tread, or because the wheel is out of round when rolling. When balancing, always have all four tires “road forced” balanced by a dealer or an independent.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Hey emilner, you still selling that Chevelle?? My bro in Ohio is looking for one of those bad boys...Please describe it, as he is looking for a SS396. He is a gearhead, so he likes special cars.
Yeah I am kinda selling it, you know not actively advertising it, but if someone wants it I will sell it. Here are a few specs:
375hp 350ci completely redone
Cowl hood
Aluminum rad with electric 2 stage fans
Optima red top battery
4spd
Magnetic red with black stripes
Black interior w/ buckets/consol
Chrome Cragers with BFG radial TA's
Power brakes/steering
Pretty much everything is new!!

The car is in great shape in and out! I have tons of $$ into it, but with my 3 year old daughter and 8 month old son I never drive it. It sits under a cover in my garage. I am looking for $20,000.

I have a pic, but I do not know how to post it.

Thanks
Ed
Old 09-15-2007, 04:50 PM

'13 E550 W4
I'm going from Austin to Florida on Sunday, approximately 1200 miles round trip. Do you think there is any risk near term if one of the tires is slightly out of balance?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
No, I don't see any major issues if it is so minor you don't feel the car vibrating, only the passenger seat.