E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sigh...A Weekend Without My New E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Sigh...A Weekend Without My New E500

Took it in Thursday at 7:00 AM for service. Only 285 miles over ~10 days (weather has been terrible). The typical stuff - drift to right, ticking sound - plus Keyless Go doesn't, rear interior light out, drivers seatbelt does not retract fully about 10% of the time, wood/leather steering wheel installation and put on new tags.

He called late this afternoon (with a heavy Russian accent I can barely follow) and said they needed to keep the car and work on it Monday. (Yeah, right...I'm wondering which guy won the lottery to take it home this weekend!)

Anyway, he says his "Team Leader" is working on the car. He can hear the ticking sound but can't pin it down. He's sure it's not in the engine, though. I suggested he check the motor mounts. He was surprised, but said they would. If that is what it turns out to be, I'm going to appreciate this forum even more than I already do!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Re: Sigh...A Weekend Without My New E500

Take it easy man, thank god that at least you have your car already, unlike most of us just keep waiting.

Where can I see pics of your car.

Last edited by Crazy4Cars; 11-01-2002 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
awww man, ct, call him tomarrow,telling them that mb sent out a bulletin for the ticking sound......dated oct 9, or 10th, and it is the motor mounts
Old 11-01-2002, 11:45 PM

2013 S550
Ya know, bmms8, I think I just may do that.

The whole story is kinda weird. My sales person transferred me to some guy to make an appointment to drop the car off. This guy wanted some info on the problems. I really glossed over the Keyless Go problem saying that I had several examples I would share in detail when I dropped the car off. This guy tells me that my Service Advisor, V (won't use his whole name), will need more detail. Then he says something like, "He's from Russia." So I ask, "Does he speak English?" And he reassures me that he does.

So I write up a page and a half of stuff. Contact info, VIN#, list the problems (in red), give a brief description of each (except Keyless Go where it took half-a-page to describe) and put a couple copies in a plastic sleeve.

I drop the car off. This good ol' boy comes out and we chat it up a while. I tell him I need to see V. He catches the guy (with a customer) and gets his eye. Then he turns to me and says, "He's straight from Russia, ya know." I'm thinking to myself, "Is this a good thing or a bad thing?'

V comes over and I give him a copy of my issue list. He stuffs it under the clipboard and asks me what the problems are. I reach under his clipboard and place the paper back on top and say that these are the issues and I'd like to go over each with him. I mentioned at the time that there was a service advisory about the ticking sound, but clearly it went in one ear and out the other.

I think the guy is fine - he just has a different affect than we typically see here in Texas. I'm not real sure he got the details - he did not seem interested in having me go through a demonstration of all the Keyless Go issues - but he seemed to get the big picture. I humored him and wrote down my contact info for him - despite the fact that it was on my issue list and I'm in their computer. Hey, give'em what they want if it'll help... Plus, I left a copy of the issue list in the front seat hoping the mechanic would read it.

Anyway, if it ain't right they'll get it back when I go to Hawaii in a week or so. I just keep thinkin' 'bout that good 'ol boy Service Advisor in the beginning and wish I'da hooked up with him...at least he speaks Texan!
Old 11-02-2002, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Yeah, but...

...some of us find Texan just as hard to understand as thick Russian,

EDJ
Old 11-02-2002, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Let us know how this all turns out!!

If it appears he didn't or wouldn't understand your written concerns, you should ask for a different service advisor. Most if not all dealers would have no problem with changing advisors for any reason. Ask the service Manager.

Interesting. Are you sure he is Russian and not just from New York City?

Ed
Old 11-02-2002, 10:28 AM

2004 E500
he he he
Old 11-04-2002, 07:40 PM

2013 S550
Did I Have The Car, Or Was I Dreaming...

Well, bmms8, I called V early this morning and told him about the Service Bulletin. When I spoke with him late today, he said that when he went to tell his mechanic to look for it, he was already fishing through the bulletins and had just found it. Anyway, they have ordered the motor mounts.

He asked when I needed my car back. Being relatively quick (for a Southern boy) I figured that today was probably out of the question. Then I thought, "How about sometime in my actuarial lifespan?" But then I didn't want to seem overly optimistic. He finally said I'd get it this week if the parts came in.

I dared to ask if the Keyless Go was fixed. He said that the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong! I only wrote a paragraph describing the problem followed by eight bullet points describing specific malfunctions. We agreed that I would come by tomorrow and work with the mechanic there and see if we can agree either that it works or it doesn't. Anybody know of any bulletins about KG?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
wow, that sucks that they cant find anything, cant they replace the whole system, or no, i am not sure about a bulliten for the keyless though, sorry
Old 11-04-2002, 11:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
ctouhey, ask them to reprogram keyless go for you. I saw an S600 at the dealership a couple of days ago which was mis-behaving like yours with keyless go and they said it needed to be re-programmed.. perhaps?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:40 PM

2013 S550
The Continuing Saga ...

I called mid-morning and told V I'd like to drop by and see the mechanic to go over my Keyless Go issues. The dealership is midway between work/home and it took less than 10 minutes to get there.

V says he told his mechanic I was on my way, and (surprise!) the mechanic tells V he figured out the problem. I need new keys because the system is not recognizing the keys correctly. They have ordered new keys.

I should have asked to see the car...somebody has my car and is out scouring the highways and bi-ways for rayscar!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
lol, but they figured out whats wrong, thats cool