E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sport Package Complication--HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Package Complication--HELP

We ordered an E500 with a list of options including the Sport Package. Before we ordered, we inspected another car on the floor with similiar options including the Sport. That car's internal treament included of a number of brushed aluminum pieces (such as AC controls, Keyless-Go start button, door handles, etc.) which in our minds were beautifully placed throughout the car.

Our car finally arrived, and with the exception of the gauges and stick shift plate, all is in black. Now, had I ordered a black interior, that would have been great. With with the Stone, we really thought that the Brushed alunimum made things pop. Nice and progressive—similar in a way to the interior of the forthcoming Porsche Carrera GT.

The dealer tells us that this is the way it now comes. What is advertised in the brochure and what we saw earlier is a mistake. That all American E-class cars come this way.

We don't want the car with this color combo and feel it better to get something totally different if we can only get the black. Perhaps these other pieces can be ordered. An if they are available for non-US models, I really need to know what the Brushed Aluminum Group consists of.

Would appreciate any and all feedback.

LC
Old 11-02-2002, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I never saw the brushed aluminum (I don't think) on any car I looked at.

However, I would not take an E-500 in any color combination that I was not completely pleased with. I feel sure that you will never be happy.

Pain tho it is....I would just reorder. At this price you should hold out for exactly what you want and not settle for anything less.

IMHO, of course

Ed
Old 11-02-2002, 10:41 PM

2003 E500
If you don't like the car, for 60 you should definitely pass and get one that looks what you're looking for.

Sport includes these major changes to the **interior**:
1) aluminum around the base of the gearshift lever on the center console
2) aluminum surrounding the instrument dials
3) white instrument dials (vs black dials and white letters on non-sport)
and the part that's probably the most perplexing to you
4) black wood trim instead of the brown burl walnut.

I'm not sure where that is not documented - all the pix I've seen for sport show these features. The black wood sort of 'disappears' in photographs of dark interiors (black/charcoal). I do know that in some AMG builds and perhaps non-US variants, the circular dials on the air conditioning also have a white background (note in the photo below the dials are black, as they are on non-sport US builds)

I don't know if there's a stone-sport photo around, but here's a charcoal-sport photo:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...&postid=157598

Note the chrome on the top of the gearshift - this is where your chrome Keyless Go button would sit.

Personally I'd like the sport exterior, but the black wood and the aluminum both don't work for me - I love the concept of white gauges, but this execution seems harder to read to me - your mileage may vary and many folks in these forums are thrilled about their Sport configs, which is terrific.

I agree that there should be a little more flexibility - but that drives up the complexity of manufacturing which drives up the cost.

-james
Old 11-02-2002, 10:50 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
I have had doubts about the sport package combined with the Stone. But, my suggestion is that you get the dealer to allow a day or two for you to look at it over time and in different lighting before deciding. Whatever you do, don't take it just to settle or have it now if you really don't like it.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2002, 11:18 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Here is another pic of stone/sport combo. You can see the AC dials, for example, are black. I understand your confusion. If you look at the big E-class brochure on the 3 or 4th page on the lower left corner there is a black/sport pic with AC dials that are silver. Another unexplainable MB thing.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=stone+sport

Last edited by abhansali; 11-02-2002 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Appreciate all the feedback.

LC
Old 11-03-2002, 04:59 PM

2012 CLS63
Leslie, it sounds like your dealer is trying to b.s. you! Go to another dealer and see what thety say.