E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Misc questions from new E500 wagon owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
Misc questions from new E500 wagon owner...

Thanks for the input...I know this is not very exciting discussion.

I searched, but:

1. What the heck is there a CD case in the center rear armrest for? Is that what this compartment is for? It's a bit tough to reach that thing from the front seat, where the changer is...

2. Does the auto wiper function have a speed sensitivity to it? I was stopped at a light the other day and the wipers were going like mad on the intermittent setting.

3. If there is a rear-seat pass-through I'll be darned if I can find a way to open it - anyone? It is not mentioned in the manual. The back of the rear seat has a rectangular area in the carpet that appears cut out for the pass-thru of skis or the like. Is it something I can 'enable' by buying some parts?

Vielen danke,

Smash
Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Hi Smash!!

1. Don't know. I've actually only sat in the back once I thought it was just a storage area. Does your have CD slots, to hold the CD cases?

2. My wipers are speed sensitive as well as rain sensitive. When I stop in traffic the wipers pretty much stop, except if it is raining hard.

3. I have a similar little plate there. I think my car does not have the ski option. I figured that if this option was in the car I would have the ski bag as well as a cat-flap kind of thing over that hole, instead of the plastic plug. Mine, if I recall, seems screwed on. Maybe you could just take off the plug? The center arm rest will cover it when it is in the up position, right?

There is a seller on Ebay that is selling bits off a MB wagon. Look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWD1V

If you read his post, he says he has other parts from the same car, so you could shoot him an email and ask if he has the ski flap for sale.

Let me ask you a question. My tailgate has recently begun stopping pretty low down when I open it. I did read somwhere there is a convenience feature where you can set the open height. I haven't tried to set this. But, yet, all on it's own, it's begun stopping when the tailgate reaches horizontal to the ground. Have you (anyone) ever had this happen? I haven't bumped my head, but I know it's only a matter of time

jim
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Yes I know you can set the computer to stop the tailgate when it's even with the roof of the car - I assume this works when you pull the outside handle, the inside (trunk door) handle, or use the keyfob. The switch inside the drivers door is only a momentary switch and the door stops whenever you take your hand off the switch.

I'm not sure our cars have the speed sensitive wipers - I think that may only be for 08'-beyond. It was raining like mad, very hard, the other day and I think just the amount of water was making the wipers go fast. I'll clean the 'sensitive' area and put some new blades on and see how she does.

I'm also going to an uphostery shop tomorrow to have the rear seat protector adjusted a little bit so it fits better. I want some protection from my boys on that rear seat...

Smash
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Oh and yeah I saw that ebay ad earlier when I was searching for seat protectors. That guy would probably only sell the entire seat anyway.

The ski thing is no big deal, just curious. It would be nice if it opened, some times I carry longer stuff in my cars, and with 2 car seats it is a pain to fold the seats out of the way...

Smash
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by SmashF15C

1. What the heck is there a CD case in the center rear armrest for? Is that what this compartment is for? It's a bit tough to reach that thing from the front seat, where the changer is...
Can't comment on the case, but the space behind the armrest (when not in use) is recommended as the spot to put your manuals, although if the armrest is down, then the manuals come spilling out...
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by murman
Can't comment on the case, but the space behind the armrest (when not in use) is recommended as the spot to put your manuals, although if the armrest is down, then the manuals come spilling out...
Now that's an oddity, isn't it? Yeah even my lowly C-class wagon has a great compartment in the trunk for the manuals. I gave up and took out the MX book and keep the 'mini' manual in the G-box, other stuff in the house.

Have you figured out how to open up that center pass-through?

Smash
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM

Now that's an oddity, isn't it? Yeah even my lowly C-class wagon has a great compartment in the trunk for the manuals. I gave up and took out the MX book and keep the 'mini' manual in the G-box, other stuff in the house.

Have you figured out how to open up that center pass-through?

Smash
If you don't have the ski-bag, then you don't have a pass-through. The door-like panel you see in the back of the seat does not open up, unfortunately.

Not to say that you could take that panel out, but I've given up on trying to figure out how to do that. Without a crow-bar, that thing's clipped on pretty snugly.

Last edited by murman; 10-31-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 PM

I would be most indebted if someone could please post instructions on how to remove the panel that is installed in lieu of a ski bag. MOST indebted.

Last edited by murman; 02-27-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I'm not sure our cars have the speed sensitive wipers - I think that may only be for 08'-beyond. It was raining like mad, very hard, the other day and I think just the amount of water was making the wipers go fast. I'll clean the 'sensitive' area and put some new blades on and see how she does.
Not speed sensitive, rain sensing. Little electric eyes behind the mirror.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Not speed sensitive, rain sensing. Little electric eyes behind the mirror.
Yeah I know, but when you pull up to a light and they are still wiping like mad....ie the sweep interval could be based on speed and rain, and I thought it was. No biggie. I did end up putting on new blades, and now the car and I are back in Germany, where it's drizzle all the time, and the car appears to be dealing with that much better.

Smash