E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nj Benz Drivers Beware!!! Poor Quality Body Shop Being Used By Ray Catena Dealerships

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 w/ Sports Package
Cool Nj Benz Drivers Beware!!! Poor Quality Body Shop Being Used By Huge NJ Dealerships

I purchased a vehicle from a Huge Dealership and the body shop they use is the worst. THe Body Shop is located in Rahway, NJ. THis body shop handles all the work for the Huge NJ dealership--Benz, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Porsche, Infiniti and Maybach. First, the dealership is fine. My SA is great. He is understanding and helpful and will not try to nickel and dime you for every part possible.

The body shop they sub their work too is another story. Their work is of the absolute worst quality. I suggest they change their name to poor Quality Auto Body rather than their current name. I suggest you inquire as to which body shop your dealership uses and make sure it is doing its job. Find a body shop you can trust and take it there and make the dealer pay for it because your paying $60,000+ for a car and then they send it to these guys who make your car look like crap. I have several issues with all my cars when they went to this body shop and I finally had enough and will no longer do business with this body shop. The reason I know that they provide the horrible jobs is because I know numerous people who have worker for them and quit because they fail to follow the regulations set forth by the state, the department of motor vehicles and OSHA. Please, save your self the headache and the opportunity to be ripped off and DO NOT GO TO this poor QUALITY AUTO BODY!!!

Here is an example of how they don't follow the regulations....it has been said that THEY PAINT CARS OUTSIDE!! One, you get dust in your paint. Two, it is provided the quality temperature and enclosed environment to properly dry. Three, OSHA requires the proper enclosed room to avoid hazardous wastes to the environment and they must disspose of the paint accordingly. They provide horrible service. Please, if your dealership utilizes this body shop..BE AWARE and KNOW THE SHOP!!

BTW. I am not posting this in revenge to being ripped off or anything. I am posting this as a warning to other people who think about purchasing brand new vehicles. I bought a brand new car this year and my paint job was horrible. Do not fall victim to my mistake! $58,000 and I am very unhappy. Love the car but had to get the paint job fixed and go back and forth and back and forth. I didn't pay but its the principle of the matter and the fact that i spent this money to enjoy myself and my car.

THanks!

Last edited by NJBENZ07; 11-05-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by NJBENZ07
I bought a brand new car this year and my paint job was horrible.
If you bought a brand new car, why was it painted be them?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 AM

E350 w/ Sports Package
Exclamation

i am guessing it was one of the lucky cars that get damaged on the boats coming over or on the trailer getting shipped... so they had to touch it up before they sell it. Many new cars are like that, i.e. when they get transported they break a mirror, dent a door, scratch a rim. ALot of stuff happens to some new cars before they even get to the showrooms. All I know is my paint job was not of MB quality. I love the car but i am upset by this. I think someone should do something but no agency takes anonymous complaints. They all want vin numbers, dealerships and peoples names. Which is understandable because they cant investigate all anonymous tips but I am not abnout to provide all my information so they can investigate this shop and then the next time i go for a service my car gets tampered with. It sounds crazy but not far fetched.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Why wouldn't you at least talk to Dealership management first, and tell them how you feel about their choice of Body Shop, and you are so dissatisfied that you are THINKING about sending a letter to MBUSA. Give them a chance to realize how serious the situation is... & see what they do/say.

I KNOW MBUSA wants you to be happy. (as long as you are a reasonable, rational Human Being & not a raving loon... Seriously, I don't know you, but if you are an average guy, they [MBUSA] want you to be happy.)
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I have experience with that body shop in Rahway. I agree it was not that good. The insurance adjuster recommended that I go there a couple of years ago when a kid ran into my rear bumper. I found this interesting: From what I know, this shop is a subsidiary or owned by Ray Catena. I think the insurance adjuster told me that. I would strongly suggest you to do some serious digging! If the shop has any relationship with Ray Catena, then you have a strong case with Ray Catena. Good luck and thanks for the information.

Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-05-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 AM

E350 w/ Sports Package
Exclamation

You aer right on point! My friend was a manager there and quit because of the bs that goes on in there. Yes you are correct. He is Ray Catena's nephew supposedly. BUT i am sure Ray Catena does not have a clue to the BS going on in that shop becuase if he did he would set his nephew straight. I KNOW I WOULD NEVER ENDANGER MY NAME FOR ANY OF MY FAMILY MEMBER WHO DO CRAPPY WORK!! BEWARE OF THE SHOP!!! Ray Catena has great service (so far and depending on who you go to, obviously--no one in sales cares about you) BUT if you have an issue go to another licensed MB shop!!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:29 PM

E350 w/ Sports Package
Your point is well taken Barry but if the body shop is connected to the dealership, the dealership isn't going to do squat about the body shop's work. THe dealership's management is not taking the progressive action. I am not the first customer to voice my displeasure with their work and yet they fail to do anything about it. AS far as MBUSA, I contacted them and informed them of the situation but to file a proper complaint they wanted my VIN, my name and all the information. I didn't do it because, as i stated earlier, the dealership and the body shop are one entity so why would I put my information on a complaint report only to have them later tamper with my vehicle. I won't be able to prove anything and then I will just be a raving loon making outrageous 'allegations'. Im not taking that chance. So I keep calling MBUSA, Division of COnsumer Affairs and the Better BUsiness Bureau so they can handle the issues but they want proper complaints. Im not doing it and that's that. So MBUSA can keep losing customers (in north NJ area) because of the poor work. I know at least 6 to 8 people who sold their MB and got BMW and JAgs from elsewhere just because of the poor quality at this dealership. I dont know. Just putting the disclaimers out there for people
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 PM

2004 E500 4matic
I have some work on my front bumper. it looked good however I think my alternator crapped out the next day. however I don't think it has anything to do with them...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by NJBENZ07
Your point is well taken Barry but if the body shop is connected to the dealership, the dealership isn't going to do squat about the body shop's work. THe dealership's management is not taking the progressive action. I am not the first customer to voice my displeasure with their work and yet they fail to do anything about it. AS far as MBUSA, I contacted them and informed them of the situation but to file a proper complaint they wanted my VIN, my name and all the information. I didn't do it because, as i stated earlier, the dealership and the body shop are one entity so why would I put my information on a complaint report only to have them later tamper with my vehicle. I won't be able to prove anything and then I will just be a raving loon making outrageous 'allegations'. Im not taking that chance. So I keep calling MBUSA, Division of COnsumer Affairs and the Better BUsiness Bureau so they can handle the issues but they want proper complaints. Im not doing it and that's that. So MBUSA can keep losing customers (in north NJ area) because of the poor work. I know at least 6 to 8 people who sold their MB and got BMW and JAgs from elsewhere just because of the poor quality at this dealership. I dont know. Just putting the disclaimers out there for people
Silly question. Why not file a formal complaint, and if you need service go to another dealer if you're worried about "retribution"? There are like 4-5 MB dealers in Northern New Jersey alone.

If you don't file a complaint A.) No one can help you B.) You're not helping anyone else because the shop will just keep screwing people. If there are formal complaints one of two things will happen - they'll fix it, or at least anyone checking on them can see the complaints and eventually they'll have to take care of it.

As a businessman if I had a customer who kept complaining to me about one of my dealers, yet refused to go the complaint route and give me their information so I could help, then no offense, but to me that person would be a raving loon.

As for a nephew, if I were Ray and he was doing **** work, I'd beat the crap out of him first, then I'd give the work to someone else.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
RJF
Almost a Member!

2006 Black Opel 350 4matic
I also live in Central NJ, I have to say I am happy I went with Contemporary Motor Cars.. over Ray Catena and THE WORST: David Michael!!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
I bought both mine new from Catena and will probably buy my next because I have always gotten a fair price and good service. However, I've let their body shop quote body work and it is probably 60% higher than other good shops so never had bodywork done there. I still am not sure why you let them work on your car at all? If the damage was done prior to your taking possession and the paint job was bad why did you accept that vehicle? I've used Cort (sp?) in Bridgewater several times with no complaints.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Almost a Member!

I've used Strathmore Auto Body in Aberdeen. Excellent work. There site is http://www.strathmoreab.com/