E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CD changer and MP3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E-class
CD changer and MP3

Attention for those who have got their cars with the CD changer, Can you play MP3 file with the cd changer?

bmms i saw the pic of your car and i noticed that you have the cd changer, can you play mp3?

thanks
Old 11-05-2002, 05:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
I dont think you can, I ordered it also but it doesn't say anything in the specs about it. I do know that the DVD navigation should be able to play them though...
Old 11-05-2002, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
well if you mean by playing burnt cd's, yes it can, i dont have a mp3 player, so im not sure, butmy friend has a lot, ill ask him today at school if i can have an old cd
Old 11-05-2002, 10:40 AM

2003 E500
I think there are 2 questions

re "burnt CDs". CD-Rs have a different reflectance than 'manufactured' audio CDs. Therefore some discman/cdplayers have problems playing audio-format CDs that have been created with CD-romburners.

With a romburner you can also burn a CD that 'looks' like a MS-Windows filesystem, lots of files called "song1.mp3", "song999.mp3", "rockandroll.mp3" etc.

These are so-called "MP3 CDs", and they can have hundreds of songs/files on them. Contrast that to an audio-format CD which can only hold 74ish minutes of audio.

So the questions are
1) if you have a burnt CD can the HK or stock system physically read the bits off it (in audio format CD or MP3-format CD)
and
2) can the HK or stock system read *mp3 files* on the MP3-format CD.

I'm guessing bmms8's friend at least has home-burnt audio-format CDs, and if so could readily create an MP3 CD with, say, 40 tracks on it.

If you stick that 40 track disc in and you can see/play all the songs, then we can conclude that the HK/stock CD and/or changer can both read burned CDs in audio format and in MP3 format.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Once again, I doubt it can play MP3 cd's.. I dont think it'll have a problem reading burnt "regular audio cd's" ie your mp3 converted to wav then burnt as a regular audio cd..
Old 11-06-2002, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
ok, i made a mp3 cd, and.......sorry guys, it wont work, but regular burned cd's work, i am sure inn the future that there will be a program to play the mp3 cds in regular cd players, but for right no, i dont think there is a answer
Old 11-06-2002, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
do not worry, your navigation unit will play them, so keep this disk.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
QUESTION:

Is there not an AUXiliary outlet in the E - like I have on the right side in the glove compartment - through which one can play an additional device such as a tape player, single CD and/or an MP3 via the COMAND's AUX setting??
Old 11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
dema, how do you know, and are you sure?
Old 11-07-2002, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Originally posted by bmms8
dema, how do you know, and are you sure?
I'm just reading this forums and all links. And most of sources say that. I can't be absolutely sure until I heard its sound. However, if the navigation can play regular DVD, then 90% it can play MP3 disks too. I do not think that you can find a DVD player not older than two years which can't play MP3.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
oo, i see, i never knew that, thanks for the info
Old 11-07-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally posted by Dema
I'm just reading this forums and all links. And most of sources say that. I can't be absolutely sure until I heard its sound. However, if the navigation can play regular DVD, then 90% it can play MP3 disks too. I do not think that you can find a DVD player not older than two years which can't play MP3.
You are wrong! DVD players cannot read or decode MP3 files. This makes about as much sense as saying DVD players can read EXCEL files. MP3 files are computer files, not audio files in the traditional sense. It takes a computer and special software to decode these files into a playable audio file. There are some aftermarket CD players that can do this, but to my knowledge MB does not offer this option. I don't agree, but I am sure that MB considers this just a fad, and it will take a long long time before they support this in their audio systems. Just look how long it took them to install a DVD based NAV system. You can, however, plug an external MP3 player into the AUX jack.

I think most people don't understand what "putting MP3's on a CD" really means. There are two ways to do this. 1. You simply copy the MP3 file from your computer to the CD like you would any computer file. In this case, you can increase the amount of music on any CD by a factor of about ten since MP3 files compress music files by about that factor. The problem with this is that you need a special player that will decode the files as I mentioned above, and they are generally only available as aftermarket players right now. 2. You can convert MP3 files on your computer to standard audio files, and then copy them to your CD. This is really stupid because the files take up as much space as the original audio files the MP3s were created from, and the audio quality is much worse. You have gained nothing - all you did was degrade the sound quality. The advantage is that they can be played an any standard CD player, and most DVD players.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:20 PM

2003 E500
I think what the point was is
"many" new cd and dvd players are being made both CD-R capable (reading the lower reflectance media) and MP3 capable (able to read the windows filesystem mp3 files)

Since the NAV is a new system, it stands to reason that it would be built with a new dvd player, which as likely as not will be *as capable* as any *new* dvd/cd player on the market.

That's what I think Dema was going for

-james
Old 11-07-2002, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Originally posted by hpilot
You are wrong! DVD players cannot read or decode MP3 files. This makes about as much sense as saying DVD players can read EXCEL files. MP3 files are computer files, not audio files in the traditional sense. It takes a computer and special software to decode these files into a playable audio file. There are some aftermarket CD players that can do this, but to my knowledge MB does not offer this option. I don't agree, but I am sure that MB considers this just a fad, and it will take a long long time before they support this in their audio systems. Just look how long it took them to install a DVD based NAV system. You can, however, plug an external MP3 player into the AUX jack.

I think most people don't understand what "putting MP3's on a CD" really means. There are two ways to do this. 1. You simply copy the MP3 file from your computer to the CD like you would any computer file. In this case, you can increase the amount of music on any CD by a factor of about ten since MP3 files compress music files by about that factor. The problem with this is that you need a special player that will decode the files as I mentioned above, and they are generally only available as aftermarket players right now. 2. You can convert MP3 files on your computer to standard audio files, and then copy them to your CD. This is really stupid because the files take up as much space as the original audio files the MP3s were created from, and the audio quality is much worse. You have gained nothing - all you did was degrade the sound quality. The advantage is that they can be played an any standard CD player, and most DVD players.
Ok, sorry to disapoint you, but you have no ideas what you are talking about. I am not going to educate you in this area, but please do not confuse other people, who can trust you.
Here are simple facts:
1. DVD support file system
2. DVD navifation software as DVD player software can read this file system
3. Video and audio information coded in MPEG format and there are nothing more as files on DVD
4. MP3 files are MPEG layer 3
5. Standard audio CD doesn't h ave a direct file system and doesn't do any format decoding
Old 11-07-2002, 05:25 PM

2003 MB E500
I don't know about the MB DVD-Nav system but my DVD player in my home can play DVD's, CD's and MP3's.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
ooooo, thats why they are called mp=mpeg i see, i hope it does support it though, that would be awesome
Old 11-07-2002, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MP3 = Mpeg 1 Layer 3

All DVD Players have the Logic to decode MP3s.... the are just not enabled in the some because of copyright pressure from the MPAA. But thats getting off the topic.
DVD Navis not a DVD Video player and so may or may not have the logic required to play mp3 audio files even though it can read an ISO filesystem(because of DVD Nav Software).

I hope the new DVD Nav can play MP3s on a CD or DVD.
Who knows...

Sorry i had to get all Geekish on yaal....
Old 11-08-2002, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
When will the MPA learn that more exposure to listeners means more awareness and that leads to more sales? Domestic IP protection is a two-edged sword.

But, the MP3 plays through the AUX in the glove compartment and AUX setting of the COMAND - if the new E is equipped with an AUX outlet.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Question COMAND AUX connection

The interesting question is if there is a setup whereby COMAND will only give power to the MP3 player connected to the AUX in the glove compartment when the SVC button is selected, and cut off the power to the MP3 player when ignition is off?
Old 11-08-2002, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation

Originally posted by karl k
When will the MPA learn that more exposure to listeners means more awareness and that leads to more sales? Domestic IP protection is a two-edged sword.

But, the MP3 plays through the AUX in the glove compartment and AUX setting of the COMAND - if the new E is equipped with an AUX outlet.
Got one word for them.... Paranoid.

They are scared of loosing absolute control of music distribution and will do anything to protect that given the help of the retards in Congress right now.
Anyway since its comming to the point where atrists dont really care since most of their money is made on tours and merchandise anyway something has to effect a paradigm shift to change their thinking .. i thought and hoped Napster would do that but see above comment about retards in congress.

Before i get all the flames, yes i know Napster was dealing mostly in copyright infringing materials, however the MPAA could have seem the value in such a distribution system and decided to embrace and extend ( to quote William Gates) the system.
Oh well... gotta go catch a flight for dallas now... ;-)
Old 11-09-2002, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by W210
The interesting question is if there is a setup whereby COMAND will only give power to the MP3 player connected to the AUX in the glove compartment when the SVC button is selected, and cut off the power to the MP3 player when ignition is off?
Yes. That would not require a rocket scientist to provide an el. outlet next tothe AUX plug.

But, it may take the next generation to debut this brilliant option in 2008/9: A convenience outlet next to the AUX plug.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:05 PM

2000 E-class
OK guys, can somebody please help me find the AUX input that you are talking about? I tried to but could not find it. Dont tell me to RTFM

thanks
Old 11-09-2002, 08:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally posted by yipikaye
OK guys, can somebody please help me find the AUX input that you are talking about? I tried to but could not find it. Dont tell me to RTFM

thanks
You need the Comand System.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:20 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Re: CD changer and MP3

[i]Can you play MP3 file with the cd changer?[/B]
No, and not with the regular single CD player either. Benz seem entirely unaware that we now use MP3 as a format: I've had to explain to more than one salesperson. In Asia, all $100 players play WAV, MP3, DVD, you name it. Of course Germany has never been fanous for its IT knowledge... fortunately they make great cars - I'll live without my MP3 CDs for now...
Old 11-20-2002, 10:46 AM

2003 E320
Surround Sound (Logic 7)

Just picked up my mew E320 with the HK Surround Sound system with the 6-disk changer.

The system does NOT play DTS encoded CD's (surround format)

What is the point of having a surround capible system if it will not play a surround encoded CD?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CD changer and MP3