E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

California emissions E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 AMG Package Pewter
California emissions E500

I just brought home a 05 E500 from S. California. Since I am in E. Washington state with the car I do not have to worry about emissions checks. I was told that these California E500's have more emissions parts on the cars than a non California car and can be removed, thus effecting the performance.

I do not think this is true, anyone know about this.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
i doubt it. i purchased a used 04 E500 Wagon that was originally from Texas and it passed CA emission with no problems. in fact, the smog check tech was amazed at how minimal the emissions were, esp for a V8 (likewise with my CLK55)...

from what i understand, most imported cars for sale in the US meet CA (and therefore, less stringent Fed) Emissions, some just aren't "Certified" for CA if they aren't sold here to avoid the additional cost of getting that CA Certified sticker. doesnt seem like the E500 is one of them as my emissions sticker under the hood says certified for both Fed and CA.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by lilbaggie
i doubt it. i purchased a used 04 E500 Wagon that was originally from Texas and it passed CA emission with no problems. in fact, the smog check tech was amazed at how minimal the emissions were, esp for a V8 (likewise with my CLK55)...

from what i understand, most imported cars for sale in the US meet CA (and therefore, less stringent Fed) Emissions, some just aren't "Certified" for CA if they aren't sold here to avoid the additional cost of getting that CA Certified sticker. doesnt seem like the E500 is one of them as my emissions sticker under the hood says certified for both Fed and CA.
I'll have to agree because mine is originally from AZ and now it's in CA.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 AM

'04 Mercedes Benz E500, '97 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '05 Volvo S60
These cars are North America emissions certified, meaning they pass emissions in all of North America, and I believe California is the strictest area...but every Mercedes that comes into the states now has the same emissions regulation equipment on them. That's what I've been told by a couple different MB dealerships.