E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A/C died but now OK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Unhappy A/C died but now OK

Took our first real road trip in the car and it was amazing. Averaged 27 mpg driving to Palm Springs area. The last hour or two of the trip it got warmer and we noticed the A/C was not keeping up. Fan blowing cool air, but not cold and not very much. Tried turning it way down and that didn't really help. Tried the MAX COOL and that didn't do much more. For fear of it not working at all we didn't turn it off. When we stopped and the car sat for a bit it worked just fine and has not acted up since. Any thoughts? Haven't brought it back to the dealer yet.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:53 PM

2003 E320
You are describing my experience exactly. My car: 2003 E320. When: Labor Day weekend (August 31 - September 3) 2007. Where: driving between Denver, Colorado and El Paso, Texas. As I posted in another thread (entitled "Air conditioner") I eventually had the blower regulator replaced at an independent service place (Stu Ritter, Denver) at a cost of $444.16.

I can't tell if this has fixed the problem or not. I have not used the A/C since I had this done.

If it helps, here's a link to my original post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/212941-air-conditioner.html

Andy

Last edited by Andrew_Mai; 11-30-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 12-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MissMyBenz
Took our first real road trip in the car and it was amazing. Averaged 27 mpg driving to Palm Springs area. The last hour or two of the trip it got warmer and we noticed the A/C was not keeping up. Fan blowing cool air, but not cold and not very much. Tried turning it way down and that didn't really help. Tried the MAX COOL and that didn't do much more. For fear of it not working at all we didn't turn it off. When we stopped and the car sat for a bit it worked just fine and has not acted up since. Any thoughts? Haven't brought it back to the dealer yet.
Hard to know for sure, but it sounds as though you may be low on refrigerant. I would have the system evacuated, recharged, and have them do a dye test to see if you are leaking anywhere.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Except that he states that it has NOT acted up since then. Low refrigerant doesn't get better, just worse.