E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

First oil change for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change for me

Have a 2003 E320, just came off of the MB free maintenance for that model year so here is my first oil change. I will be using Mobil 1 like the dealer did the European car formula 0W-40 MB 229.5 with a Mann fleece filter. Will be draining with the drain plug removed installing a new crush gasket when finished.

Questions

1. I read the oil level through the car, how do I do that, and what is the read out suppose to be in Liters or quarts?

2. Can I insert a soft plastic tube in the dipstick hole and read the level after contact with the bottom of the pan? If so what is a good starting length for such a tube?

3. When reseting the FSS computer what oil questions will it ask, I know it is soppose to ask Vis which is 0W-40, will it also be asking for a 229.3 or .5 number. Just wanted to get the computer reset right.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
If you put new oil according to your owner's manual, you would not need to read the IC. Of course a good idea to check the level after the oil change but remember to let the car rest long enough before checking.

You can put a tube to the dipstick tube and it would reach the oil pan bottom but I don't know the correct reading. Those who have the workshop tool could give a reading.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Wow, mine must be retarded, it did not ask me anything about the oil spec number. I would have to believe that it reports capacity in oz if the US
measurements are selected (MPH. Farenheight etc.)
The only message I have ever gotten is "Oil level OK" AND one that says "oil capacity overfill-remove excess oil" or something similar.
Two things I would advise.
1. Remove the filter BEFORE you reinsert the drain plug because I suspect that whatever oil is in the cartridge slides down into the crankcase when you break the vacuum. This adds 4-5 oz. of dirty oil to you new batch and also causes the overfill message.
2. Put 8 quarts in and run the vehicle for a short time to charge the filter/ valve covers. THEN ask it how much oil is needed. I had to endure that annoying overfull message for several weeks everytime the car was used for a trip. The sensor apparently does not care if it is 2 oz overfull or 2 gallons.
I am pretty sure the motor won't grenade with 8 quarts of oil.